Lee gregory

Has anyone seen the 1st half of halifax v alfreton on bt sport tonight, lee gregory has scored his 25th goal of the season, i know he has been mentioned a lot on here and LJ is an admirer, do we still think he's a viable option? Or is he out of our price range now? I know it was also mentioned he had a good job and it would take a decent contract to get him but he did a interview before the game and more or less said he was 25 now and definately wants to go full time as a pro footballer!

Also quite impressed with adam smith, a winger who's played well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to be a natural goalscorer so if and its a big if we had 100k then it would be worth a risk, but if it is 100k i doubt we can afford it to be honest. It is a step up but from what ive seen he has good movement, pace and finishes, all tge ingredients to be a good striker

I'm not saying he's not worth a go, just playing devils advocate,but there are other clubs that do have £100k and yet he's still at Halifax. He's been on the radar for a while now and still no takers.

he commited to halifax in the last window but I do know that plenty of championship clubs are frequenting halfax games, leicester, blackpool, burnley amongst others so it wouldnt suprise if someone took a punt in the summer, prob be more than 100k to buy him now.

After watching the first half of the game (due to having a bet on it ) I'm confident I could still score goals at that level and I'm now about three stone overweight and rocking a peg leg. Terrible spectacle Alfreton (barring the huge black guy on the left) were utter bizz . Not saying Gregory is no good but just feel our players are being given a bit of a disservice , and I would expect all our strikers could have filled their boots last nite

After watching the first half of the game (due to having a bet on it ) I'm confident I could still score goals at that level and I'm now about three stone overweight and rocking a peg leg. Terrible ospectacle Alfreton (barring the huge black guy on the left) were utter bizz . Not saying Gregory is no good but just feel our players are being given a bit of a disservice , and I would expect all our strikers could have filled their boots last nite

didnt know wayne rooney was a member on here :)

some of them are surely ? Gotta start somewhere

I don't doubt there are, in fact I bet there are players in Sunday league who are good enough for League football, it's bound to happen especially with the standard of scouting/coaching in this country. I think looking at every player who scores well at non league level though and assuming they are better than what we have is a bit silly - and mocking one of our first team coaches assessments in that respect. The problem with free scoring conference players is they come with a price tag, for free he's worth a shot but for 100k we'd be taking too big a gamble and I wouldn't even consider it on a good goals tally alone.

I would imagine Murray's 'no better than what we have' comment looks more at his all round game than just how many goals he's scored. There might be good players in the conference and beyond (no doubt there are) but they are scoring against lower opposition, less organised, less understanding of the game, not as well coached. If we played against conference opposition every week I would expect at least one of our strikers to have 20+ no problem.

I don't know a lot about him other than he scores goals at conference level, you would think a coach or scout going to watch him be do so with a very open mind given his impressive stats. I'm inclined to trust Murray that he isn't worth gambling a sizable portion of our budget on.

Murrays assessment might hold some credence if our strikers could put away the chances theyve had put on a plate recently, lee scores more in a game than many of them have scored since christmas, with the exception of philly none of our current strikers would get anywhere near his 26 for this season playing upfront for halifax, the standard of player is a lot higher than people give it credit for in the skrill, Lockwoods not exactlylooked like a fish out of water and he was turning out for guisely a couple of month ago, I agree paying a fee is a risk but give the guy some credit for his scoring record.

• 2 months later...