RRE vs Chaddy

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought now but has anyone considered that if we slung the away fans out then the atmosphere in the Rocky Road End wouldn't be half as good as it is on your average match day?

I stood and then sat for many years in the Chaddy End. I can think of so many games where the atmosphere and the noise was immense; however, a combination of seating and a decline in performance on the pitch has seen that atmosphere fall away along with many of the fans.

I now sit in the MSU and agree with many that the atmosphere versus Brentford was vastly improved. Two points:

1. Having the away fans in the small section does make a difference to the atmosphere

2. We could clearly hear the chanting in the Main Stand - LJ's Blue and White Army and a couple of Zigga Zagga chants accompanied by the drum beat being particularly loud - and even the wrinklies joined in...

More variation with the choice of chant/ song would add to the overall experience - 'Oh when the Blues' and even <whisper it> 'We are the Boys in Blue'.

Yesterday was a top day on and off the pitch and if only Dayton had kept his composure when through on goal...

Anyway Dave...all sorted now? You enjoy your Sunday, lie back in your Avocado coloured bath whilst admiring your woodchip wallpaper.

Too many Luddite's thats the problem.

There are too many who dont like change but at least after yesterday lets stop giving away teams any advantage and move them where the acoustics arent as loud!

There are too many who dont like change

Change is best achieved through buy-in and choice from those being asked to change.

Current arrangements at Boundary Park allow the choice. If the right decision is to encourage home fans to congregate in numbers in the RRE (I think it is) then this can be achieved without forcing fans to leave the Chaddy and creating an unnecessary resentment that does more damage to the club.

Help them want to join in the fun. Don't force them to.

I think it's a bit backwards to force fans to move stands. We should be trying to encourage more people to attend home matches more regulary, have more fans in all stands and then no matter where you choose to sit you'll get a good atmosphere.

Closing stands to fans isn't progressive, it just continues the long, slow decline we have seen. Encourage the fans to come back.

I.E. I sat in the Chaddy last week and the noise levels were not too loud. Today I sat in the Chaddy and the noise from 100 yards away wasn't that loud. In other words 'I have sat in the Chaddy for years and am glad I refused to take up the 'offer' to move' as I couldn't give a f--- what might help the team!

Quite the opposite, I do care what might help the team. That's why I turn up every week.

What I don't think would help the team, as a few others have pointed out, would be causing resentment amongst quite a few fans by forcing them to move when there is no need for it.

I'm all for home fans in the RRE. I'm just dead against moving home fans from the Chaddy.

I think we're losing sight of what this is all about.

If they're not prepared to move for a trial game to improve the atmosphere, what makes anyone think the Chaddy enders would contribute to an atmosphere if we were all lumped together?

The only issue we have is the emptiness of the stadium. I suggested earlier putting the singing section in the North Stand side nearest to the RRE, which would occupy the away supporters. That means we have 3 stands, one with brand new facilities for the ones that like that, the spiritual home end that the stubborn ones can live in (I don't like the idea of the Chaddy housing away support instead of Latics fans, sentimentalism), and the Main Stand. Solves the emptiness debate, where to put singing home fans, and how Latics fans can have the stand with best facilities.

What's the problem with that?

Edited by NewBlue

This thread conjures visions of some of you waiting behind til everyone's gone home and punching the Chaddy End similar to how that Geordie did with the police horse.

"Come on then you :censored: acousticed old bastard...."

Edited by HarryBosch

5 of us moved in the rocky yesterday all st holders and we all enjoyed the atmosphere view facilities (once we fell through the turnstiles) we all said we hoped we could go in their with our books from now on. Great trial with fairly conclusive results. RRE it is.

Dave's got a point. I reckon he's wrong, but the hardcore CREs, some of whom unaccountably have no internet profile, won't budge. Then there'll be the new Fancy Pants Paddock to throw in the mix this time next year.

It's might be a question of timing. Perhaps the time to shift the home support to the RRE was...20 years ago.

The likes of Dave (and that in itself is not a dig by the way) have made their points pretty clear on their unwillingness to move stands.

These people, the likes of Dave, are through & through Latics fans; and have been for donkeys years. They turn up week in, week out and support the side. And they choose to do that from a stand they have always gone to. Now - a large number know that the old stand they go in has issues with it; and after yesterdays game, i dont think too many balanced fans can have too many qualms about which stand and which set-up generated the better noise & atmosphere.

But - taking away the choice to which stand to go in will only alienate yet more fans.

As a Lookers exile now holed up in the MSP; I know exactly whats it like to have to "your" stand taken away from you and your choice of where you want to watch the game.

Over the years, sat in the same stand, in the same seat, you build bonds with strangers sat around you; who become those even stranger people - football friends (copyright Inbetweeners)

Bonds form, memories are made and all of a sudden; to have that taken away from you - well, just as it was for a good number of fans who made the Lookers their home, it's the final straw and they cease to go to games anymore.

Can we afford to loose what looked like to me, around 500 or so fans - the ones like Dave who whilst given a trial game to move; and didnt and choose to stay in "their" stand?

Can we frig as like.

More games with atmospheres generated like yesterdays and who knows, the stone wall Chaddy enders may; just may, choose of their own accord to go and make the move and be apart of it. But i highly doubt it.

Take away that choice and all i can see happening is not a relocation to the RRE; but a relocation to the garden / couch / town centre or Trafford Centre or pub for those 'hard core' CRE fans.

And with our current attendances; can we afford to loose those fans? Can we frig...

I would have done something as a trial this year with season tickets.

For 1 season only you get a "Behind the goal season ticket" it is 300. You get the option to sit behind either goal. If we were playimg a side expected to bring over 1600. (there would be less than 6) the RRE would house home fans and the away fans would be in the Chaddy.

Bradford

Rochdale

Preston

Barnsley

Possibly Coventry

Possibly Rotherham

Are the only games it would effect. The season ticket would be 25 quid cheaper to compensate those fans who dont want to move, like dave. I understand Dave's point, I wont be moving to the new stand (until they come up with some h+s bollocks to close the main stand). However, my idea isnt doing something I wouldn't be prepared to do myself.

Edited by pukka

I would have done something as a trial this year with season tickets.

For 1 season only you get a "Behind the goal season ticket" it is 300. You get the option to sit behind either goal. If we were playimg a side expected to bring over 1600. (there would be less than 6) the RRE would house home fans and the away fans would be in the Chaddy.

Bradford

Rochdale

Preston

Barnsley

Possibly Coventry

Possibly Rotherham

Are the only games it would effect. The season ticket would be 25 quid cheaper to compensate those fans who dont want to move, like dave. I understand Dave's point, I wont be moving to the new stand (until they come up with some h+s bollocks to close the main stand). However, my idea isnt doing something I wouldn't be prepared to do myself.

Come on.... :grin:

They're top of the league and Fleetwood are one of their promotion rivals, it depends on how they're doing and the time of the game.

Agreed there, but Id suggest they could well bring over 1600