RRE vs Chaddy

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious question for people who do have/will buy a RRE ST.

If I sat in there I'd be well annoyed about moving so frequently. But that is why the ST is cheaper. Have you thought about en masse offering to pay more so you don't have to be moved?

You could, for example, offer to pay £350 on the proviso that you have the small section and never get moved (hardly any away team bring more than 3000, and if they do, then they've sold out). Or offer to pay £370 and then it's the Chaddy fans who get shifted about.

Lets not lose sight of the bigger picture - unless we find quite a lot of new fans quite quickly ALL of the stands will be pretty sparse when the new one is open. And we all agree it's better when there is a good crowd around you. It would (for example) be bloody miserable being one of 250 in the Chaddy (although I Know some would still choose to stay). I see three options. RRE big bit for away fans.Chaddy for away fans. Drop/mothball the current Main Stand.

Does it?

I always thought it was because it holds the sound in.

Not that acoustics are a valid argument for £££ to be spent replacing it.

The Chaddy End roof doesn't leak now thanks to Verlin (Rainwater Solutions), the sponsors of the RRE.

There was no problem with its acoustics pre-1990. In 2008 I raised with Alan Hardy the question of the current roof's acoustics and he said: "At the end of the 90/91 season we put a new roof on but we left the original steelwork in place so it really is the same type of roof now." So the 'problem' must be not as many people singing as pre-1990, which is definitely true.

All this crap about traditionalists clinging on is just a smokescreen. Every ST holder sat near us has tried the RRE and not one of them would swap. The leg room in the CE is as good if not better than most grounds and is certainly better than the RRE, as I've found out each time I’ve sat there for those games that most people don’t bother attending, hence the Chaddy gets shut. As for the old chestnut of the pillars in the way, move your head slightly and exercise your neck muscles, problem solved (and it relieves neck tension), it’s not rocket science.

Why all this venom towards Latics supporters who don't want to sit where some people demand? Ideally, we would have home supporters on all four sides, creating an atmosphere to encourage the team.

BTW the Police have always declined the Club’s attempts to put the away fans in the Chaddy.

Why all this venom towards Latics supporters who don't want to sit where some people demand? Ideally, we would have home supporters on all four sides, creating an atmosphere to encourage the team.

Anything that forces fans to relocate out of the Chaddy would be completely wrong.

The Chaddy End roof doesn't leak now thanks to Verlin (Rainwater Solutions), the sponsors of the RRE.

There was no problem with its acoustics pre-1990. In 2008 I raised with Alan Hardy the question of the current roof's acoustics and he said: "At the end of the 90/91 season we put a new roof on but we left the original steelwork in place so it really is the same type of roof now." So the 'problem' must be not as many people singing as pre-1990, which is definitely true.

All this crap about traditionalists clinging on is just a smokescreen. Every ST holder sat near us has tried the RRE and not one of them would swap. The leg room in the CE is as good if not better than most grounds and is certainly better than the RRE, as I've found out each time I’ve sat there for those games that most people don’t bother attending, hence the Chaddy gets shut. As for the old chestnut of the pillars in the way, move your head slightly and exercise your neck muscles, problem solved (and it relieves neck tension), it’s not rocket science.

BTW the Police have always declined the Club’s attempts to put the away fans in the Chaddy.

this

MENOAFC @MENOAFC 4h

Told atmosphere yesterday was so good it was 'weird'. One player admitted to getting goosebumps. Think that's conclusive evidence. #oafc

if we keep creating this atmosphere more fans will turn up and the subject will be void anyway. just find out where all the singers are going to be and join in. better atmosphere. its not hard is it. we are in the chaddy against cov so go into the old singing section as that is where we will be and jon in. lets make the chaddy rock.

I have sat in every part of the ground during my time.

I prefer the view from the side of the pitch, but found the Main Stand Upper to be the most devoid of any atmosphere and quite liked the atmosphere in the Main Stand Paddock..when it wasn't persisting it down. The Lookers was much the same, except with a bit more of an atmosphere..again, more in the Paddock then the upper stands.

The Chaddy End, to me, is always like going to a football match in the 1970s. Good atmosphere, lots of banter and watching the Latics generally playing toward the Chaddy in the second half. Facilities are ok(ish) and if the crowd gets going, you can't hear the RRE anyway.

The RRE is definitely the best stand for the view and I have some great memories of a packed RRE, antagonizing, taunting and general finger-gesturing toward the away fans..and some piss-funny moments, too. The Chaddy vs the RRE is kind of like 'Old Skool' vs 'Modern' and really, in my opinion that is, the atmosphere is a subjective experience, no matter where you sit. You either sing, or you don't and forcing a move from the stand a person sits in regularly, will not alter that fact.

"Told atmosphere yesterday was so good it was 'weird'. One player admitted to getting goosebumps. Think that's conclusive evidence."
I can understand this. There have been times when the whole stadium has moved as one and that is a very tribal thing. The energy that it creates must surely have an effect on the players. I have felt that way myself. But, the players have the responsibility as much as the fans do, in creating that atmosphere in the first place.

it all starts when they walk out of the tunnel.

Sorry Diego I'm going to have to disagree with your statement about legroom. The RRE had seemingly very good legroom which was better than both the Chaddy and the Main Stand, (although being a short-arse legroom is less of an issue for me), the seats were wider too.

Your statement about the pillars is wrong too, yes you can move your head etc. but it is not quite that simple and pillars in the line of sight will affect your viewing, especially if the stand is full. Also having been at the back of both stands, the roof of the RRE doesn't affect your view as much as the roof of the Chaddy.

Is it not allowed to walk from one stand to another at half time like used to happen (and still does at some non league grounds) ?

I did that at Portsmouth away last season. I went in the home end for the first half with the missus and the father in law. Couldn't help myself with a few choice remarks for some of their players and the referee and so on and asked to be moved. The steward walked me round the pitch to the away end, where the acoustics were much, much better.

I did that at Portsmouth away last season. I went in the home end for the first half with the missus and the father in law. Couldn't help myself with a few choice remarks for some of their players and the referee and so on and asked to be moved. The steward walked me round the pitch to the away end, where the acoustics were much, much better.

Football-Hooliganism--007.jpg

24hrs at Fratton Park last year

What really bugs me about this whole debate is that, as a Chaddy Ender, there are people who make it out as if were the antichrist, holding the club back from years of global domination because we are quite happy sitting where we sit and see no reason to change. I wouldnt dream of telling anyone who sits in the Main Stand that they should move to the new stand when its built, because the facilities and acoustics will be better. If theyre happy in the Main Stand, fair play to them.Go in the Rochdale End if you want, it's no problem to me.

Were all Latics fans, and some are not better because they make more noise or sit in a particular stand. Ill sit where I want to sit, as should everybody else.

I'd listen & if what you were saying was true I'd move my arse to the new stand!

It's doesn't matter anyway as the oafc staff won't do F all.

Who are "staff" in this context, and what do you mean?

Who ever is in charge to make the decision, not saying anyone in particular. I mean they backed out of closing the stands for the "experiment" because people kicked up a fuss so I'm pretty sure they haven't got the ball's to make the decision and put away fans in the chaddy.