RRE vs Chaddy

I fear you have all missed my point. I said FILLED, with away support, that of course has never happened, but if the day ever dawned when it was FILLED with away supporters, such as say Stoke, (they tend to make a bit of a racket) you may get a shock as to how good the acoustics are in the Chaddy. Oh and Stagger Lee, there's a clue of how many weeks I have been going to BP to watch Latics in my original post, 50 years a Latics fanatic and hardly missed a match, so thats a lot of weeks. :comeon:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get this "The atmosphere is better in the RRE than the Chaddy" argument, In my 50 years of sitting/standing in all 4 sections of the ground, I have never seen nor heard the Chaddy full of the noisiest section of away fans, I would suggest that if we ever do see that day, you will be very surprised. There is nothing wrong with the Acoustics in the Chaddy, it's just that it has never been filled by fans who are prepared to roar themselves hoarse for 90 minutes.

I accept what you meant to write may have been different from what you actually wrote.

I'll put this to you though, Why would the Chaddy filled by away supporters sound better (or worse) than filled with Oldham fans singing themselves hoarse for 90 minutes? Are you suggesting that the acoustics are different depending on the origin of the supporter?

this debate is stupid as the club at no point in the future has plans to turn the chaddy into the away end.

remember the club is a business and when they knocked down the broadway stand many stopped coming. kicking all the chaddy enders out so the verliners get their way will see home fans drop by a good few hundred overnight.

this debate is stupid as the club at no point in the future has plans to turn the chaddy into the away end.

remember the club is a business and when they knocked down the broadway stand many stopped coming. kicking all the chaddy enders out so the verliners get their way will see home fans drop by a good few hundred overnight.

This may be true but if its the case you have to ask yourself are they true supporters, the club should also be able to make medium/long term plans without everyone threatening to throw there toys out of the pram, the benefits of getting the fans together whichever end we have been in home and away are there for all to see, if fans think they are that big that they have to sit on the same bit of plastic as 20 years ago they they are imo short sighted and selfish, everybody has to do whats best for the team players and fans alike, im a chaddy ender grew ip in there but oldhams my team and when we played the big boys at bp i would watch them and get behind them from any part of bp, just hope our 'fans' would see the bigger picture.

Having read this topic from afar and considered the opinions of both chaddyenders and rocky roaders, i recon its simple

At any given point in the season a chaddyender can make the switch to the rocky fkr free. You mights sell 500 season tickets in the chaddy and thats a lot of people to upset. But im sure over time as people see how busy the rocky is and how dead the chaddy is more and more will move over at a time that is right for them. Id hazard a guess that the 500 season tickets you sell pre season would become 300 by christmas, maybe more when the new stand opens. Lets face it sitting in a stand on your loansome is crap.

Given time people will make the decision to move on their own. Force their hand and they become stubborn and set in their ways. Its human nature.

For what its worth im a main stander and wont be moving even when the new stand is built so im quite impartial, but the atmosphere at the brentford game was supurb and i believe for the good of the club we must get as many fans as possible in the rocky. However you cant do that by simply shutting the chaddy. Those fans need to be given the choice, and i believe most would move eventually.

Edited by philliggi

.... the atmosphere at the brentford game was supurb and i believe for the good of the club we must get as many fans as possible in the rocky. However you cant do that by simply shutting the rocky Chaddy. Those fans need to be given the choice, and i believe most would move eventually.

FTFY.

Shatics @Shatics Mar 30

The Chaddy End was brilliant yesterday. No morons, no moaners, no queues, just peace and tranquility. Please move singers to the RRE

I accept what you meant to write may have been different from what you actually wrote.

I'll put this to you though, Why would the Chaddy filled by away supporters sound better (or worse) than filled with Oldham fans singing themselves hoarse for 90 minutes? Are you suggesting that the acoustics are different depending on the origin of the supporter?

No I'm suggesting that, in my 50 years watching Latics, the Chaddy end has never been Full of Latics fans singing themselves hoarse. It has very often been filled with Latics fans, but half of them never make a muff.

Edited by 100milesaway

No I'm suggesting that, in my 50 years watching Latics, the Chaddy end as never been Full of Latics fans singing themselves hoarse.

That's exactly how it was when I started going, for decent matches.

I don't think there's a stand in the country that is up for every game

That's exactly how it was when I started going, for decent matches.

I don't think there's a stand in the country that is up for every game

Nah, you could always have found a quiet spot in the Chaddy even though there was large rowdy section

No I'm suggesting that, in my 50 years watching Latics, the Chaddy end as never been Full of Latics fans singing themselves hoarse. It has very often been filled with Latics fans, but half of them never make a muff.

Not so. I was a long time season ticket holder in the Chaddy End and can name you many occasions when the atmosphere was positively deafening. Wednesday at home in that game (and the roof was off) Soton at home (4-3), Chelski at home in our first season back in the big time, West Ham at home on Valentine's Day and the list goes on and on.

Not so. I was a long time season ticket holder in the Chaddy End and can name you many occasions when the atmosphere was positively deafening. Wednesday at home in that game (and the roof was off) Soton at home (4-3), Chelski at home in our first season back in the big time, West Ham at home on Valentine's Day and the list goes on and on.

Exactly. Acoustics, schmoustics.......

I hate the term acoustics. It's cringeworthy.

However, denying there is a difference is plain stupid. The surroundings influence the volume obviously, and the effect is amplified when it's 100+ people shouting, which was proven in the stand trials where the RRE sounded so much louder from the Main Stand than the Chaddy.

Yes there's been great atmospheres in the Chaddy in the past, but we don't have half as many fans, literally, and it's now all seated, and the history arguments doesn't count the fact that the RRE projects the sound better too.

Keep the Chaddy, but don't expect the ground to have an atmosphere if you put home fans that want to make noise in there. Just letting fans go where they want to go or partitioning some of the New Stand as the standing, singing section is probably the best answer to the atmsophere debate.

Edited by NewBlue

People still aren't getting the point.

It's about which stand is better for us getting behind our team, not whether one can be loud or not.

In any case, the Chaddy: can be loud? yes, of course it can. But particularly in the current day, with our crowds etc , it's only loud if you're in it. That's the crucial issue.

It's what the players hear that counts and I want to give then the best chance of hearing our support.

For me it's not just about what I hear sitting on a seat - which it seemingly is for the ppl who refused to back the club's trial, for example.

It's about feeling like I'm helping the team and the players being able to hear and respond to that.

The players' reported views after Brentford said it all. And that game was hardly a classic.

It's about which stand is better for us getting behind our team, not whether one can be loud or not.

In any case, the Chaddy: can be loud? yes, of course it can. But particularly in the current day, with our crowds etc , it's only loud if you're in it. That's the crucial issue.

It's what the players hear that counts and I want to give then the best chance of hearing our support.

For me it's not just about what I hear sitting on a seat - which it seemingly is for the ppl who refused to back the club's trial, for example.

It's about feeling like I'm helping the team and the players being able to hear and respond to that.

The players' reported views after Brentford said it all. And that game was hardly a classic.

no the point is if you piss your customers of you shouldn't be running a business.

I can't see no reason why the club just can't ask fans to switch like the crawley/brentford games. for example we know we are in the chaddy end for next two home games so the club should ask all fans who want to to move to the rocky.

I didn't really want to move to RRE and I never thought that I would say this BUT the atmosphere against Brentford was the best for years in a league match. AND as you say the players seemed impressed. The best NIL NIL for many a while too!

I wasn't at the Brentford or Crawley game but everything that was said on here after one was said after the other.

Similar was said about the atmosphere against Bradford.

If people congregate together and want to make noise then it will be loud whichever end.

I just hope once the North Stand is up the Club make a decision because it will be even harder to make a din split over four stands than three.

I wasn't at the Brentford or Crawley game but everything that was said on here after one was said after the other.

Similar was said about the atmosphere against Bradford.

If people congregate together and want to make noise then it will be loud whichever end.

I just hope once the North Stand is up the Club make a decision because it will be even harder to make a din split over four stands than three.

If the fans thought it was equally as good in either experiment, what did the players think? Is that not the main point as said above? If one is better than the other and the players are encouraged by a louder support then that's a plus isn't it? So worth pursuing.

If the fans thought it was equally as good in either experiment, what did the players think? Is that not the main point as said above? If one is better than the other and the players are encouraged by a louder support then that's a plus isn't it? So worth pursuing.

Erm, the players thought that the main stand fans were the loudest. :mainstand:

I fear you have all missed my point. I said FILLED, with away support, that of course has never happened, but if the day ever dawned when it was FILLED with away supporters, such as say Stoke, (they tend to make a bit of a racket) you may get a shock as to how good the acoustics are in the Chaddy. Oh and Stagger Lee, there's a clue of how many weeks I have been going to BP to watch Latics in my original post, 50 years a Latics fanatic and hardly missed a match, so thats a lot of weeks. :comeon:

Science proves otherwise.

Bang on.

It will inevitable cue all the 'load of rubbish' and 'if the players play well...etc' which side-steps the basic point: maximising support, and our main aim: improving atmosphere.

If the away fans were in the RRE, and we were all the cat park and Latics won 10-0 - of course we'd make some noise! But that wouldn't justify us being in the cat park!!!