Great Performance Tonight

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody Hell BP, you are depressed tonight! And I thought it was a cracking game of football!

It was a good game, but we stood off them too much tonight and this is the trend which concerns me most at home when we should be dictating to the opposition, one up front next season at home and goals will continue to be scarce, is that what we want to see again?

It was a good game, but we stood off them too much tonight and this is the trend which concerns me most at home when we should be dictating to the opposition, one up front next season at home and goals will continue to be scarce, is that what we want to see again?

I agree, but that was a good team that we played last night, so lets see what we do on Saturday, onwards and upwards!

...but surely you've been watching football long enough to realise that this is the tactic employed right now that has seen us go on this unbeaten run of games?

Patently obvious the game plan is to let the opposition have the ball as much as they like in areas that dont hurt us, then when they do get close; win it back and break on them.

Keep a solid backline, have a busy midfield and utilise a pacey an strong striker.

You keep harping on about this not winning fans, but the stats always show that successful & winning sides bring the fans back to BP.

Taken as a whole, this new(ish) tactic an style has been successful in getting results.

I want to be entertained and see good football, but i also want to see the side pick up points - and this set-up has seen us do that.

As many of the current side secured again, with other new arrivals added in, playin the same tactics for both away AND home games will, IMO, see us in better shape than this season. LJ has learned a heck of a lot this season, but how to compete and fet results in this tough division will have been the best thing to come out of it. Roll on next season...

Winchester is a tricky one, if he was consistent like Brown he would be retained, trouble is you just don't know what sort of performance he will put in on the day.

Maybe if Winchester got a run of games like Brown we'd see his ability and he'd find some consistency. Brown has only recently looked capable at this level after playing most of the season. I'd say Winchester has the most natural ability in the team - LJ needs to find a way of applying it or let the lad move on.

...but surely you've been watching football long enough to realise that this is the tactic employed right now that has seen us go on this unbeaten run of games?

Patently obvious the game plan is to let the opposition have the ball as much as they like in areas that dont hurt us, then when they do get close; win it back and break on them.

Keep a solid backline, have a busy midfield and utilise a pacey an strong striker.

You keep harping on about this not winning fans, but the stats always show that successful & winning sides bring the fans back to BP.

Taken as a whole, this new(ish) tactic an style has been successful in getting results.

I want to be entertained and see good football, but i also want to see the side pick up points - and this set-up has seen us do that.

As many of the current side secured again, with other new arrivals added in, playin the same tactics for both away AND home games will, IMO, see us in better shape than this season. LJ has learned a heck of a lot this season, but how to compete and fet results in this tough division will have been the best thing to come out of it. Roll on next season...

This is the key for me. I just don't see how we have the budget to be defensively sound, maintain a lengthy unbeaten run and at the same time play free-flowing entertaining football.

I've not seen us since the run started but it doesn't sound like it's 10 men in defence hoof ball tactics, we seem to be playing decent stuff. The most important thing is we're picking up points. I agree - keep the majority of this team, add more quality and experience up front and in creative roles and we'll have a real chance of competing toward the top. Which will in turn get the fans back.

I have been in the game long enough to know if he starts next season with that tactic at home he will soon be sussed out and and after a lack of goals he will be forced to change the formation.

You can mark my words on that one.

I have been in the game long enough to know if he starts next season with that tactic at home he will soon be sussed out and and after a lack of goals he will be forced to change the formation.

You can mark my words on that one.

What if we happened to sign a striker (of the Ryan Lowe build, maybe even Ryan Lowe) who can score goals?

Last night we didn't look good offensively because JCH can't run the front line on his own, certainly not every game anyway, with a decent strike partner, i think we could do well.

What if we happened to sign a striker (of the Ryan Lowe build, maybe even Ryan Lowe) who can score goals?

Last night we didn't look good offensively because JCH can't run the front line on his own, certainly not every game anyway, with a decent strike partner, i think we could do well.

But that's 2 up front, not the current tactics.

Edited by BP1960

It wasn't a great performance.

It was backs to the wall, not something I want to see at home games.

LJ said pre match he would be looking for more goals to be scored at home, but played a clearly jaded Clarke- Harris on his own up front for most of the game.

He has the chance to change the system against Notts County, they will be expecting 4-1-4-1and set their stall out for it, so call their bluff and go for goals playing 4-3-3 attacking football.

Rabchuka

Brown

Lockwood

Wilson

Grounds

Dayton

Harkins

Worrall

Philliskirk

Clarke-Harris

McDonald

Wesolowski and Smith can sit this one out. (await howls of derision).

Edited by BP1960

I said to my mate at the game. It goes to show how solid we have become but it also shows how much we have to improve if we want to challenge next season.

IMO you can't look past Sheff Utd to win the league. We surrendered possession by which I mean when we got the ball we couldnt keep it for all the 2nd half to a team in our own league. BBC stats say they had 51% possession! That can't be right can it?

Having said that if we stay hard to beat and can just add that bit of quality in the final third a play off place is by no means unrealistic next season. Very important pre season coming up.

LJ said pre match he would be looking for more goals to be scored at home, but played a clearly jaded Clarke- Harris on his own up front for most of the game.

He has the chance to change the system against Notts County, they will be expecting 4-1-4-1and set their stall out for it, so call their bluff and go for goals playing 4-3-3 attacking football.

Rabchuka

Brown

Lockwood

Wilson

Grounds

Dayton

Harkins

Worrall

Philliskirk

Clarke-Harris

McDonald

That team would get hammered!

Rabchuka

Brown

Lockwood

Wilson

Grounds

Dayton

Harkins

Worrall

Philliskirk

Clarke-Harris

McDonald

With all due respect, that line up is ridiculously daft.

Add Birmingham possibly and there could be your top two

Hard to know as I'd expect there to be a lot of changes there in the summer. They seem like a mess on and off the pitch at present and if they go down I doubt Clark will still be there.

Sheffield United have effectively got half-a-season head start on all the other big clubs with the way Clough has rebuild them since taking over. They'll definitely be favourites.