post match reaction Sheffield

Unfortunately Chaddy they will still retain most of their best players while we will lose ours, it's this constant rebuilding season after season which hinders progress.

I agree BP but it is quite easy really, retain our 2 centre halves, Korey Smith and JCH, simples! We must just have priorities!

The rest will take care of itself!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree BP but it is quite easy really, retain our 2 centre halves, Korey Smith and JCH, simples! We must just have priorities!

The rest will take care of itself!

Trouble is good offers for Smith and JCH and we know they will go, what happens then ?

Can't fault the effort but you could clearly see that some players were knackered tonight. We knocked the ball around nicely at times but we seemed to drop deeper and deeper as the game went on. I felt Kissock and Byrom did ok myself, it wasn't going to be easy tonight. Ideally I'd like us to keep Wes and Grounds, but I feel that they are replaceable. Harkins, although not at his best tonight, I felt we lost an attacking presence when he went off. I'd replace Charlie Mac with a striker with a more physical presence, someone of the Matt Smith mould. I'd rather us play more direct if we're chasing a goal

If you cannot realise what a good game from two decent sides that was tonight, then words just fail me!

I will tell you who will win our League next season, them! And we weren't far behind them tonight.

We were up against a very good team tonight and could have won it!

Enjoyed the game actually but they battered us second half and should of had a couple first half im not daft enough to think we can compete with them over a season because we cant, the players they brought on shows you that. They took our best player for peanuts earlier this season and our better players will be picked off again in the summer Wes and Grounds will be tough to replace thats for sure, we certainlty missed wes driving the team and breaking the opposition play up tonight dont you agree ?

Enjoyed the game actually but they battered us second half and should of had a couple first half im not daft enough to think we can compete with them over a season because we cant, the players they brought on shows you that. They took our best player for peanuts earlier this season and our better players will be picked off again in the summer Wes and Grounds will be tough to replace thats for sure, we certainlty missed wes driving the team and breaking the opposition play up tonight dont you agree ?

Actually, for once I would agree that we did miss Wes tonight. For his chasing about in an attacking midfield position.

My point has always been that I don't want us to 'defend from the front' with a player of such limited ability.

I want us to get the ball, pass it forward and give it to our attacking forward midfielder who then entertains us!

I do not want to watch a lower half 3rd division team forever! But Connor Brown was fabulous tonight!

we did miss wes,but if it is true about grounds ah well nothing lost,he could never find a blue shirt for toffee,and one of our biggest earners,wasnt a bad game tonight,thought kissock played well tonight especially with the few run outs he has had,

we did miss wes,but if it is true about grounds ah well nothing lost,he could never find a blue shirt for toffee,and one of our biggest earners,wasnt a bad game tonight,thought kissock played well tonight especially with the few run outs he has had,

Grounds can play both centreback and left back quite competently, so if the wage is right, Sign him again.

If the wage isn't right then move on!

Actually, for once I would agree that we did miss Wes tonight. For his chasing about in an attacking midfield position.My point has always been that I don't want us to 'defend from the front' with a player of such limited ability.I want us to get the ball, pass it forward and give it to our attacking forward midfielder who then entertains us!I do not want to watch a lower half 3rd division team forever! But Connor Brown was fabulous tonight!

I understand your anti-Wes position better now. I disagree though. Firstly because he can actually play and threaten the goal as has been shown - and as regards the current set up, we can hardly expect JCH to chase two fullbacks down. We obviously want teams to launch it long at us (you've noticed the big snidey defenders) so I can't think of anything better than Wes running about kicking them if they think to dwell on the ball for a second.

I understand your anti-Wes position better now. I disagree though. Firstly because he can actually play and threaten the goal as has been shown - and as regards the current set up, we can hardly expect JCH to chase two fullbacks down. We obviously want teams to launch it long at us (you've noticed the big snidey defenders) so I can't think of anything better than Wes running about kicking them if they think to dwell on the ball for a second.

So that will mean then that we continue to play 1 up front even at home! With deep lying wingers who get back in the position

early to help their fullbacks-it could work with Schultz and Montano but I don't want it with Dayton/Harkins/Worrall, especially

since Philly is ending up playing deeper and deeper. By the way Wes doesn't threaten the goal really? I want us to dictate play to the opposition not defend as a 9 man unit for the majority of the 90 minutes.

Just had a quick gander on Sheff United's forum to guage their reaction of last night. A lot of posts taken from off here and their assessment is that we have small club syndrome and want to see them as some sort of rival.

More importantly though, a thread has been started about Connor Brown by a chap by the name of Mendi who has 300+ posts... Get in Royle Army.

Conor Brown was awesome, Over the last few weeks he has come on leaps and bounds.

Byrom none existant, didn't really understand his position one minute he was pushing towards the wing the next CMD then just behind JCH - formation seemed a bit all over the place.

Missed Wes definitely. Hope it was just a rest and he's not gone, Grounds, I couldn't care less, used to be our most consistent player, now can't make a pass half the time. Heard Birmingham City Rumours?

Charlie Mac - I want to like him, like his work rate, seen him fluff too many chances though this season, also lack of presence up top when JCH went off was clear for all to see.

Harkins - Teams know now to just have 2 players go at him so he can't cut in and go past players like he was doing when he first signed.

Kissock - Hard to judge. Ran around a lot, had the ball quite a lot in the first half, did a lot of unnecessary turns. Lost it at a couple of vital times too. Does Look like he wants it, if we could get him on a cheap wage I would sign him, imagine that little :censored: running around for the last 20 minutes getting in the opposition faces, it would drive them mad.

Worral - did more at left back tonight than on the wing all season. Willing to overlap as well.

Think we need a couple more physical players in the summer, looking at that side we had out for the final 10-20 minutes and 7/8 of them Looked like children compared to Sheff united players.

Also a quick note on Sheff u, they carry the ball brilliantly. When we look up and don't see a pass we tend to stutter and get dispossessed, Sheff U players just sprint ahead!

I've been watching Latics good and bad for over 40 years and last night I think I've seen one of the things we've been missing as a team.

A quality midfielder who cannot only tackle, but chase a ball down and put in a telling pass.

We used to have one in Ritchie Wellens and the Shed before him but John didn't do much chasing just left it to his younger brother Darren.

Vic Halom was also converted into this role from centre forward, if anyone can remember him.

I'm referring to John-Paul Kissock, a great performance from the little man and very tenacious in the tackle, he just ran out of steam which is probably understandable he maybe needs some more fitness training.

I'm open to comments about him but that's my honest opinion.

We also need to sign Lockwood up as a priority, solid and no nonsense. I watched our two previous prima donna's at this position on TV on Saturday night Tarky and M'Voto both give goals away, Lockwood has just grown into this position and looks very, very solid to me.

Ian G.

Edited by pcassist

I've been watching Latics good and bad for over 40 years and last night I think I've seen one of the things we've been missing as a team.

A quality midfielder who cannot only tackle, but chase a ball down and put in a telling pass.

We used to have one in Ritchie Wellens and the Shed before him but John didn't do much chasing just left it to his younger brother Darren.

Vic Halom was also converted into this role from centre forward, if anyone can remember him.

I'm referring to John-Paul Kissock, a great performance from the little man and very tenacious in the tackle, he just ran out of steam which is probably understandable he maybe needs some more fitness training.

I'm open to comments about him but that's my honest opinion.

Ian G.

How honest can our comments be? :grin:

Just had a quick gander on Sheff United's forum to guage their reaction of last night. A lot of posts taken from off here and their assessment is that we have small club syndrome and want to see them as some sort of rival.

More importantly though, a thread has been started about Connor Brown by a chap by the name of Mendi who has 300+ posts... Get in Royle Army.

Just had a quick look at their board out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Frequented primarily it would seem by over opinionated knuckle-draggers with a hyper-inflated sense of self importance, otherwise known as Yorkshire men.

Liked these comments though :

"Not very keen on us are they? Shame."

As if anybody actually likes them?!

and

"Good to see the Oldham fans came out in force for their last home game.....about 3,000 home fans there."

Do keep up chaps!

My younger Sheff U supporting colleague said that many older Sheff U fans see us a rival.