players spotted away from football

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had afternoon tea at the Lowry Hotel a few years ago and Westlife came out of what seemed to be the Kitchen Area and started flirting with some old lady's as they went past. I was dying to shout, 'my god it's Boyzone' but wasn't quick enough.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

As we're going off at tangents a little, Bill Shankly chased after and flattened a bloke my grandad was trying to arrest in Preston.

My Grandma told Brian Clough off in a Nottingham chippy once for pushing in. Something along the lines of 'who do you think you are?'.

My Grandma told Brian Clough off in a Nottingham chippy once for pushing in. Something along the lines of 'who do you think you are?'.

You ought to add that he said, "I'm Brian :censored:ing Clough," and she hit him for swearing

Completely off topic, I once sat next to John Hurt on the Tube and queued up in a cross channel ferry restaurant behind Dave 'Fit' Finlay, the wrestler.

Bloody predictive text

Edited by Bristolatic

I stood next to Stuart Pierce at the rebellion punk festival in Blackpool when he was manager of Man City. He was watching a band called Chelsea and as it happens City's first game of the season in a couple of weeks was against Chelsea. Now things get bad from this point as I'd been drinking and i couldn't resist tapping him on the shoulder to tell him something along the lines that he was watching the wrong Chelsea. I found it funny - he smiled politely and said something which I didn't catch. In the cold light of day - what a prize tit I was.

Bryan Robson, wife and someone else on a flight back from Faro to Manchester, between them they polished off a bottle of wine each, and a bottle of champagne & vodka between them. It was a 3 hour flight.

Now I can drink but even I thought, blimey, they're putting it away.

Lou Macari in the william hill on oxford street in manchester.

Had loads of hangers on with him. His horse didnt win.

Had macari had a bet....?

Did you ask him about punching in the winner against us in the 3-2 at Old Trafford, 1974?

32 years ago ... May 1982

Was on the train back from London after watching Oldham beat the already relegated Orient 3 - 0. Poor as the proverbial church mouse I had spent all my money and was starving. But sat in the 2nd class carriage was already an experience because i had seen John Craven from news round on the train But all that paled into insignificance when Jim Frizzell walked through the carriage and saw me - and my latics scarf - and sat down with me and talked for a while. He must have took pity on me, a scruffy spotty long haired teenager, because after a while he asked if i was hungry (yes!) he left and came back with a couple of boxes of sandwiches telling me that it was what the players had not eaten so tuck in. Gratefully I accepted and later on quite a few of the players came by to say hello and sign my scarf - even providing the felt pen!

The time they took with me left me humble and forever a fan. What I was to overhear after the train had pulled into Manchester was Jimmy saying farewell to everyone of the players on the platform. It was not a see you in a few weeks farewell but a full blown I may not be seeing you all again sad farewell. I thought little of that until a couple of weeks later when I learnt that Jimmy had been sacked - he knew it was coming.

I have the image of Jimmy walking past me after saying his goodbyes and giving me a nod and smile - his last active day as part of the Oldham club that had been his life for over 20 years

A true gentleman and I wish I could thank him for his kindness that day as well as for his service to the club.

Had macari had a bet....?

Did you ask him about punching in the winner against us in the 3-2 at Old Trafford, 1974?

Yeah he had a bet, was very pissed off when it lost.

Didnt ask him. It happened 10 years before I was born so I didn't think.

He is really short though. Cant be more than 5 ft 6

32 years ago ... May 1982

Was on the train back from London after watching Oldham beat the already relegated Orient 3 - 0. Poor as the proverbial church mouse I had spent all my money and was starving. But sat in the 2nd class carriage was already an experience because i had seen John Craven from news round on the train But all that paled into insignificance when Jim Frizzell walked through the carriage and saw me - and my latics scarf - and sat down with me and talked for a while. He must have took pity on me, a scruffy spotty long haired teenager, because after a while he asked if i was hungry (yes!) he left and came back with a couple of boxes of sandwiches telling me that it was what the players had not eaten so tuck in. Gratefully I accepted and later on quite a few of the players came by to say hello and sign my scarf - even providing the felt pen!

The time they took with me left me humble and forever a fan. What I was to overhear after the train had pulled into Manchester was Jimmy saying farewell to everyone of the players on the platform. It was not a see you in a few weeks farewell but a full blown I may not be seeing you all again sad farewell. I thought little of that until a couple of weeks later when I learnt that Jimmy had been sacked - he knew it was coming.

I have the image of Jimmy walking past me after saying his goodbyes and giving me a nod and smile - his last active day as part of the Oldham club that had been his life for over 20 years

A true gentleman and I wish I could thank him for his kindness that day as well as for his service to the club.

brilliant story, he still lives a stones throw away from boundary park if you wanted to thank him personally... getting on a bit nowadays but still doing his gardening ha ha

This isn't really a story about spotting players away from football, but it's a close-season type of story that doesn't warrant its own thread.

I went to Wadi Rum in Jordan last year and whilst in the visitors' centre a local spotted the Zinedine Zidane t-shirt I was wearing and started talking to me:

"French? Real Madrid?"

"No, I'm English"

"Ah! Manchester?"

"No, a small team, you probably won't know them"

"No, tell me! I love the Premier League and Manchester United!"

"Oldham Athletic"

He furrowed his brow for just a second before his face lit up..

"Ah! Scholesy's team!"

I couldn't believe it. A man had just trotted upto the visitors' centre, tied his camel up, walked inside and had a brief conversation about Latics. It really is a global game.

Oh and I also made a :censored: of myself talking to Dale Stephens in Tokyo Project once.

This isn't really a story about spotting players away from football, but it's a close-season type of story that doesn't warrant its own thread.

I went to Wadi Rum in Jordan last year and whilst in the visitors' centre a local spotted the Zinedine Zidane t-shirt I was wearing and started talking to me:

"French? Real Madrid?"

"No, I'm English"

"Ah! Manchester?"

"Oldham Athletic"

"Ah! Scholesy's team!"

I couldn't believe it. A man had just trotted upto the visitors' centre, tied his camel up, walked inside and had a brief conversation about Latics. It really is a global game.

Same thing in a taxi on the Malawian/Tanzanian border (without the horrible French supposition). I think Scholes has done more for Latics' worldwide fame than any Latics player or team past or present.

"French? Real Madrid?"

"No, I'm English"

"Ah! Manchester?"

"Oldham Athletic"

"Ah! Scholesy's team!"

Oh and I also made a :censored: of myself talking to Dale Stephens in Tokyo Project once.

I was once sat in the Omani desert with a group of locals and was asked to sing an English song after a boy had done a traditional Beduine one. I sang a song about two football teams and their contrasting receptions in the Vatican

I was once sat in the Omani desert with a group of locals and was asked to sing an English song after a boy had done a traditional Beduine one. I sang a song about two football teams and their contrasting receptions in the Vatican

I'd like to think they sung it to their next English visitors and then sat back, awaiting the praise that was undoubtedly due to them for memorising a traditional English folk song.

"French? Real Madrid?"

"No, I'm English"

"Ah! Manchester?"

"Oldham Athletic"

"Ah! Scholesy's team!"

I had a similar experience with a caretaker at a beach hut resort I was staying at in Kho Pgan Nhan, Thailand. He said he liked Manchester United, I said Oldham, he went off clueless and came back 30 mins later with a big cheesy smile and said 'Dennis Irwin'!

I had a similar experience with a caretaker at a beach hut resort I was staying at in Kho Pgan Nhan, Thailand. He said he liked Manchester United, I said Oldham, he went off clueless and came back 30 mins later with a big cheesy smile and said 'Dennis Irwin'!

i was chatting to two South African barmen three years ago in a hotel in the ostrich farming area of Oudtshoorn. They'd never heard of Dean Furman...

Same thing in a taxi on the Malawian/Tanzanian border (without the horrible French supposition). I think Scholes has done more for Latics' worldwide fame than any Latics player or team past or present.

To be fair there are a few bigwigs in the Malawian government, especially the health department who know all about Oldham, and that was from before Scholes was famous.