Melbourne Friendly match

Had an interesting 2nd half commentary on LP with commentary by a pal of Roy, John Helm who is just back from Brazil, he's one of FIFA's official commentator. So we had Helm commentating with Roy and Mike Keegan (who commentated on the 1st half) adding their observations. Turned out to be a cross between Test Match Special, radio and TV commentary.

Edit - I did record it. So, if anyone would like a copy before I delete it, PM me.

Edited by laticsrblue

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We really could do with a right-footed winger. Dayton created lots and kept finding space, but he needs to be on the other flank, and Forte doesn't quite do it for me. He doesn't like it on his right foot either, and I can't see him playing 90 minutes out-wide consistently.

Mellor battled hard in the middle and kept on winning the ball. Kelly was quiet, JCH wasteful, centre halves solid.

Firstly, can't knock how Melbourne started, they zipped it around well and were patient in possession.

We meanwhile liked to pass the ball backwards and JCH got no change out of their defenders when trying to win headers. I brought a mate along to both friendlies and he can't believe we play JCH up top on his own when he has zero movement off the ball - Gros put him to shame in this respect when he came on.

We grew into the game in the first half with all our play coming down the right hand side through Dayton. Forte stuck out on the left must have touched the ball a handful of times in the whole half and cut an exasperated figure. Deing was extremely poor I thought, was never in the game and never close to his man. Jones and Kelly are extremely similar and not once did they drive forward with the ball - they are neat in possession but like to pass to full backs and centre halfs only.

JCH missed a sitter, Connor. Brown was defending well and showing lots of skill on the ball when supporting the attack.

At the start of the second half we pressed from the kick off and it seemed only a matter of time until we would score. Then Melbourne pick up the second ball and a through ball puts a Melbourne player through on goal. Wilson tries to get across (no idea where Kusunga had got to) but doesn't make it and a tidy finish puts them ahead.

From this point on Melbourne didn't have another shot the whole game. Dayton started to skin his man for fun and was unlucky with a few decent balls into the box. Forte came into it a bit more but he'd taken a knock in the first half and didn't seem fit, although on the rare occasions he could get at the full back he skinned him but the final ball was poor. I'm a fan of his and could defend him by saying he is a striker not a winger however he burst through on goal and strangely decided to pass and whenever Dayton had the ball he didn't bust a gut to get into the box. I'd hope that was down to fitness but if it wasn't then I'd give him one last go upfront and if he doesn't perform then get rid.

Mellor came on and tried to work the ball through the middle but the other players didn't seem to be on his wavelength. Gros really put a shift in from the minute he came on, chasing lost causes, holding the ball up well and playing a number of through balls for Dayton and also cross field balls switching the play. Just a shame he had his hands on his hips and was knackered after 20minutes - he's a beast but I can't help think if he laid off the weights and lost half a stone there'd be a quality player in there.

Jones had a number of shots from distance but like Crawley fans advised us none hit the target. Brian Wilson got forward a lot more in this half and was unlucky with a shot to the side netting after being the furthest man forward. Connor Brown was more vocal than I remember and was very good in possession. Llera and Lockwood came on with Llera helping us open the play up quicker with him being left footed.

Bove and Winchester came on and Bove did reasonably well on the left despite being lightweight. There was an opportunity where he arc'd his run to stay onside and burst through on goal down the right hand side but instead of shooting decided to pass and it was cut out. Winchester didn't see much of the ball.

Llera's goal was from a quick free kick and although it was a weird type of finish it proves what a threat he is from set pieces. His legs haven't gone either so if he's not too expensive I'd offer him a deal.

All in all, the first half was dull, the second half was much better and we had all the ball. A midfield 3 of Dieng, Kelly and Jones will not work. If Dayton is going to play on the right and cut in then we need some width on the left hand side and someone who can deliver a ball in. Based on today I'd try Mills there and leave Connor Brown at left back as he certainly doesn't deserve to get dropped.

It will be interesting to see what LJ goes with in the next game but there's no way he can start the same team as today as it is nowhere near creative enough. If he persists with 3 in the middle then Winchester or Mellor have to be in there as they are the only ones (in pre season at least) who when they receive the ball will actually turn out and look forwards.

I suppose Danny Philliskirk would work in there as well but ideally you want him doing damage further forward. Fundamentally we should be playing a lot higher up the pitch for this 4-2-3-1 to work. Wilson and Kusunga are both very quick, as are B.Wilson and Conor Brown so we shouldn't be terrified of a ball in behind. By playing further forward it will stop JCH being isolated in what could be his breakthrough season and would also enable Philiskirk to get on the ball in dangerous positions.

I'd sign Gros, he won't be expensive and defenders won't like dealing with him if he comes on for the half hour in matches.

It wasn't a terrible game to watch

I thought Melbourne were a decent outfit. somewhere around Championship level, their two central midfielders in the first half ran show, at times we playing with there holding midfielders to contain their prompting.

LJ must resolve the home formation of deep lying central midfielders and one up front, otherwise this season will see the same lack of goals as last season.

I was impressed though with he passing and interplay (until the final ball).

A creative left winger and goal poacher badly needed.

Edited by BP1960

I thought Melbourne were a decent outfit. somewhere around Championship level, their two central midfielders in the first half ran show, at times we playing with there holding midfielders to contain their prompting.

LJ must resolve the home formation of deep lying central midfielders and one up front, otherwise this season will see the same lack of goals as last season.

I was impressed though with he passing and interplay (until the final ball).

A creative left winger and goal poacher badly needed.

There's nothing to resolve, that's how they want them to play.

Thanks for the comprehensive match report B0ndl1ne, seems that the creative midfield is still a major problem.

I personally think we have a creative midfielder in Winchester. The issue is LJ seems to have decided not to give him a run of games to see how he develops even in pre season in the middle. He missed all of last seasons pre season due to injury so was going to struggle last year.

This year could be his if

1 he is given the chance and

2 he takes his chance

I know not everyone agrees but from what I have seen in the last 3 pre season games and I have attended them all, he has been positive going forward, looking to create chances and we have looked better. He scored 2 at Curzon and played well (low level team I know) He helped change the game vs Newcastle when we where 1-0 down and set up the winner with a great bit of play.

Today he didn't get long but at one point he battled to retain possession in the middle and came out with the ball. Looked immediately for the forward pass and put it into jones who then for

Some reason passed it 20 yards back Into the centre half with space and time around him. This is the difference between the style of play for me. Both styles can work but it's just getting the dynamic right in the middle.

I think today's starting middle 3 are all similar defensive midfielders and we need something different. Maybe it's a case of keeping things tight and then making changes from the bench as opposition players get tired and gaps open up but I'm undecided.

I think I'd like to see him start in the middle for the next 2 pre season games and compare to the last 3!

Edited by super_blue

We should of been 3/4 up by half time. If we are to keep playing 4-1-4-1 then we definitely need an attacking CM in there, perhaps Philli or Dayton if LJ decides against Winchester/Mellor.

Still not convinced about B Wilson, Brown has played better in both games and he's been out of position although it is only pre-season but currently I'd have Brown as first choice RB.

Definitely in need of wingers, Forte did alright again however he did take a knock in the first half (one of the highlights of the game him lying off the pitch then jumping up, running on and tackling their player). Would offer him a contract.

Gros played well, chasing lost causes, holding the ball up well and a few decent passes. Did alot more than JCH and probably would of scored the chances JCH had in the first half, another I would offer a contract to. (Also at one point it looked like he tried to recreate Tounkara's chin run)

Winchester has never really impressed me superblue but I do think that he deserves the chance to prove me wrong before he goes out on loan.

By all accounts our defensive 4-1-4-1 of late last season seems to have become 4-2-3-1 which is even more negative,

Is that Correct? I havent been to pre-season i never do! NB I do think that DP changes the whole format of the team when he plays!

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Winchester has never really impressed me superblue but I do think that he deserves the chance to prove me wrong before he goes out on loan.

By all accounts our defensive 4-1-4-1 of late last season seems to have become 4-2-3-1 which is even more negative,

Is that Correct? I havent been to pre-season i never do!

Yeh your prob right on that formation although the gap today between the midfield and JCH was huge. Either they aren't fit enough yet to join in the attack as a late runner or that's not the style. There must have been 4 or 5 occasions when a break was on but either the winger had no one to pass to or the striker had come deep to pick up the ball and no one was ahead of him!

Yeh your prob right on that formation although the gap today between the midfield and JCH was huge. Either they aren't fit enough yet to join in the attack as a late runner or that's not the style. There must have been 4 or 5 occasions when a break was on but either the winger had no one to pass to or the striker had come deep to pick up the ball and no one was ahead of him!

It was 3 defensive midfielders today, particularly in the first half.

To be fair, we haven't played a League 1-standard side yet. You never know, we may line up more offensively against sides in our league, especially when Philliskirk is back.

Doubt it, LJ has used similar players to Philliskirk in Turner and Bove, yet played them both out of position wide

Edited by BP1960

I see an attendance of 1,000 won't have swelled our coffers any. Didn't we get more for playing Macclesfield Town at home last season?

Our pre-season friendly list has been notoriously poor but this season (Newcastle aside) has to be one of the most uninspiring ones ever. Dozens of local-ish Prem or Championship sides around and we get dished this :censored:e up.

I see an attendance of 1,000 won't have swelled our coffers any. Didn't we get more for playing Macclesfield Town at home last season?

Our pre-season friendly list has been notoriously poor but this season (Newcastle aside) has to be one of the most uninspiring ones ever. Dozens of local-ish Prem or Championship sides around and we get dished this :censored:e up.

The Curzon friendly is good and helps them too, but I agree it's about time some thought was put into matches against nearby Premiership and Championship clubs with a good away following, Huddersfield helps a bit in that respect.

Edited by BP1960

Huddersfield to come - that will be the yardstick for the coming season.

I can't say I've ever been bothered by the pre-season friendly line up.

Local non-league away.

Premiership at home.

International opposition from the top league of a World Cup finalist nation.

Roses match at home.

What's wrong with that?

The Curzon friendly is good and helps them too, but I agree it's about time some thought was put into matches against nearby Premiership and Championship clubs with a good away following, Huddersfield helps a bit in that respect.

I'm not sure which nearby Premiership clubs would be interested in playing a League One club preseason when they're more involved in spreading the gospel in the Far East and America to capture new fans.

Blackburn,Hudds,Wigan and the like are more realistic opposition.

Friendlies will never be a yardstick.

Could be, the local aspect should make it more competitive and sharpen the team up ready for the first league match.

A yardstick in as much as we should see the probable first choice eleven start the game. A yardstick in that we should see how LJ plans to set up formation wise for the coming home matches. And definitely ( given the local nature of the game) a measure of the readiness of the team ahead of the coming season.

Huddersfield to come - that will be the yardstick for the coming season.

We are never going to progress using these outdated methods. I have a metre stick and am quite happy for the club to have use of it. What next, a puddin' on a muffin for a pre match meal?

We are never going to progress using these outdated methods. I have a metre stick and am quite happy for the club to have use of it. What next, a puddin' on a muffin for a pre match meal?

The puddin' on a muffin routine worked for Andy Barlow, I say lets go for it.