• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purely from an ability point of view, a better attacking option than Grounds and not bad enough defensively to be a liability. But add that to the fact that he knows the setup here already makes it the best possible signing in terms of continuity!

Which makes it even more of a pity if we lose Smith and/or JCH.

The bottom line is that pretty much all of us think we've replaced Grounds, who was signed by one of the bigger Championship clubs in Birmingham City, with a better player.

And a more saleable player.

Better player? Not so sure about that. What I like about Mills is that he's a genuinely attacking full-back. That's the aspect of his game that's better than Grounds's but Grounds is the better defender.

That said, Mills is as good a signing as we could reasonably have expected for a new left-back. Good player, still young and may bag the club a few quid in time.

Fact is a large number on here were continually suggesting that we sign Mills on loan last season before he went to Shrewsbury.

We've signed him for two years permanently....

Superb signing... as a few have said already; strengthens the back line and gives us more options down the left both defensively and offensively.

In the words of many top managers notably Brian Clough; a great team builds from the back...you stop the opposition scoring, you have a greater chance of getting a result

Edited by Midsblue

Better player? Not so sure about that. What I like about Mills is that he's a genuinely attacking full-back. That's the aspect of his game that's better than Grounds's but Grounds is the better defender.

That said, Mills is as good a signing as we could reasonably have expected for a new left-back. Good player, still young and may bag the club a few quid in time.

I think it's fair comment to say grounds is a better defender, but mills isn't :censored: defensively, and for me he offers the team so much more; namely Set pieces, crossing, and genuine pace!

Has Kusunga signed ?

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140507-retained-list-1541282.aspx

We had the option of extending the contract.

For what it's worth, Mills at full back and Grounds at centre back would have been as close to perfection we could get at the third tier of English football...

With Lanzoni at RB and Tarky at CB along with them two.

Strange how much the defence changed over the season.

Fact is a large number on here were continually suggesting that we sign Mills on loan last season before he went to Shrewsbury.

We've signed him for two years permanently....

Superb signing... as a few have said already; strengthens the back line and gives us more options down the left both defensively and offensively.

In the words of many top managers notably Brian Clough; a great team builds from the back...you stop the opposition scoring, you have a greater chance of getting a result

Stop the opposition scoring and i guarantee you will never lose a match !!!!!!

Just seen this - GET IN!!!

And i agree with the above.

Ground's main assestt was his defending. Mills looked steady enough having to do that side of the LB game; but not as accomplished as Grounds did. But IMO he pisses all over Grounds going forward.

His set piece delivery was a real addition, his delivery from open play was usual bang on, and he passed and linked up really well; far better than Grounds ever did.

iMO we have added really well here. I said we'd be easily able to get a LB who would replace Grounds, and we have. Different styles of players, who have different positives and strengths to their games; but Im really happy that we've brough Joe back.

Cracking signing this...

Still over the moon this morning about Mills. Like others have said Probably not as good defensively as Grounds however he can actually pass...which is always helpful.

Great delivery, pace, not scared to beat a man, great at set pieces. What a F****** signing that it.

How did he do at Shrewsbury?

A quick search on their forum suggests that out of all the loanees they had, he was the one they wanted to keep.

Outperformed Jacobson and has bags of potential was the general perception of him.

A quick search on their forum suggests that out of all the loanees they had, he was the one they wanted to keep.

Outperformed Jacobson and has bags of potential was the general perception of him.

Even Schmeltz?