Plastic Fantastic

Plastic Fantastic  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want OAFC to get a plastic pitch?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

Would we miss out on players if we had a 3G pitch and rivalling clubs had a grass pitch, with the PFA are strongly opposed to it?

I don't care really, but I'd find it weird watching professional football played on something other than grass. It would feel like bringing the club down to amateur level, having not been around during the days it was used in the 80s and 90s.

I'm out.

Edited by NewBlue

Having watched Latics on a old fashioned plastic pitch I have fond memories of the success we had on it, but being honest they were not great and was glad to see us return to grass in the 1st Division.

That said, the reduced running costs, almost guaranteed matches in all conditions and the additional income that it brought to the club was welcome.

The quality of the pitches has clearly improved - with Champions League and International games being played on them.

So, I have voted YES. Prefer not to, but think the financial benefits for our club are too great to be ignored.

Do we still own 'little' Wembley? Couldn't that be converted into an artificial pitch to rent out for extra revenue?

When we were looking at bigger development schemes I fancied tthe idea of doing an artificial pitch with a basic stand that would do for training, reserves, youths, rental and peanut hugging. I still reckon it's worth think about.

When we were looking at bigger development schemes I fancied tthe idea of doing an artificial pitch with a basic stand that would do for training, reserves, youths, rental and peanut hugging. I still reckon it's worth think about.

It's got to be worth more in revenue than using it for car parking space, right? We have tons of car parking space, even with bit sold to houses gone.

To me it's a must.

In the days of FFP where we can only spend what we can bring in we need to bring in as much money as we can. By having the 3G pitch it can be played on by local clubs 7 days a week as it doesn't need as much seeing to.

People may say about it not being the same as grass which it's not, but from experience of playing on the top grade of 3G pitches (which you hope latics would get if we did) there is not much and the bounce of the ball is predictable. Also their not effected by the weather conditions so no postponements due to frozen/waterlogged pitch. The only thing with them is when they are wet they do get very slippy but that can only add to the entertainment.

It's got to be worth more in revenue than using it for car parking space, right? We have tons of car parking space, even with bit sold to houses gone.

I noticed Shrewsbury have opened a few 5 a-side pitches next to their ground. I think it would depend if there is a Power League or Goals like complex nearby (not being local I wouldn't know)

I'm not sure about the practicality of putting a pitch on top of a multi storey. It would certainly be bracing in January.

So we vote yes, it gets passed, we intall it in 2015, get promoted in 2016 and have to rip it up again. Probably £400k spent in a little over a year on 2 pitches?

Commercially it makes sense with the hiring ut out etc but then you're banking on staying down for a fair few years to get a return in your investment. Would be a gamble.