F5 Monday.......

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can. He is ':censored:e' remember. Loads and loads and loads of our fans are :censored:un clueless,

A group of 4 or 5 near me were well & truly in the 'Kelly's :censored:e' camp - I thought most had now seen what he brings to the party; and how good he is at it?

Obviously not.

Same bunch were Poleon bashing too. Someone pulled them up on it; and they denied it - right after they'd slagged him off loudly within his earshot.

Now - i'll admit i too thought he was more than a bit pish yesterday (again) - but getting on his back, loudly, at games isnt really going to help him along is it?

We do some fans with very strange ideas of 'support' that's for sure...

Anybody who thinks Liam Kelly is ':censored:e' knows absolutely nothing about football - or indeed about how our manager is setting us up to play.

He was efficient, unremarkable, yet essential to a hard fought, scrappy - and all the more valuable for it! - win!!

We have to work on maintaining the tempo of our play as we tire in the second half, and ensuring we keep our options when in possession is key.

To do that well, Liam Kelly is absolutely essential!!

Another midfielder probably....at least he might be able to make a forward pass rather than sideways or backwards...that was :censored: today from Kelly!

LJ on Kelly's performance yesterday: "I thought Kelly was excellent for the whole game."... But what does he know eh?

Edited by TheBigDog

Anybody who thinks Liam Kelly is ':censored:e' knows absolutely nothing about football - or indeed about how our manager is setting us up to play.

He was efficient, unremarkable, yet essential to a hard fought, scrappy - and all the more valuable for it! - win!!

We have to work on maintaining the tempo of our play as we tire in the second half, and ensuring we keep our options when in possession is key.

Those that think so will realize what he brings to the team when he misses a game shortly due to 5 yellows, same goesfor J Wilson as well, both on 4 yellows

Need them both massively for the sheff utd and dale games

If at all possible i'd take a tactical booking against Sheff Utd so they both miss the JPT game

Like many after 6 games i couldn't see what Kelly's purpose was or what his attributes were; far from being match fit, he performed dreadfully, could do nothing right.

Then another 5 or so games fitness in him and getting used to Jones, he slowly became more influential in games, passed better and started to assert himself on opponents more.

He is now quite rightly our key player, nothing fancy but he always seems one move ahead when in posession and his positioning is very good.

Gladly proved wrong, as i'm sure many others are, that's what we wanted to happen and he's done it.

Credit to him, gets on and does his job

Edited by shefflatic

He's been a lot better since becoming the only holding midfielder, he seems to thrive on responsibility.

He's been a lot better since becoming the only holding midfielder, he seems to thrive on responsibility.

This is definitely the case. When Jones was deep with him it could almost be said they got in each other's way.

The fact the team is better balanced has helped his performances

One aspect of the side that has helped all the back 5 (if you include Kelly as a deep lying midfielder) has been the quality of Rachubka's distribution.

He is excellent at inviting the runner into space with ball in hand which has allowed both the full backs to offer up the line with confidence.

In addition his comfort with the ball at both his feet means the centre backs and Kelly can offer in tighter situations and still have the return ball as a safe option.

Its a strength of his game that is crucial to us at present.

This is definitely the case. When Jones was deep with him it could almost be said they got in each other's way.

Interesting point. I think what LJ has done by playing the diamond or whatever it is , is making 4 new positions for his favoured midfielders..

Winchester - not quick enough for right wing or strong enough for centre mid , can dribble and make incisive passes, tackle and cover back so make him inside right wing centre mid

Kelly - as said above got in jones way. Doesn't have the pace or passing ability for creative centre mid but can tackle and pass short both forwards and sideways and always be in the right place to pick up the scraps or a pass from another player. so make him central back mid.

Jones - the best of the bunch in my opinion so let him do it all.. Run with the ball, pass it, cross it beat players, defend and take free kicks - outside/ inside *left / centre mid wing back.. *Can also replace left with right if required

Philliskirk - not strong enough to play up front on his own or in a pair, or to play in central mid. Not quick enough to play wide. can pass , dribble, shoot, fall over expertly , tackle back and run forever and head it. So play him number 10 1/2 behind a front two - sorted, world beater

Which I think says I mean we have a very good manager in the making.