The English National Side

I think what's doing it for more and more is being sold a lie year after year. I go into every season hoping something might fall into place, but I'm not led to believe that we are one of the major sides. Is it true that England have never beaten a major nation in tournament away from home? It's the worst of both worlds with the hype plus being shot, we're already building up the next Golden Generation of players out of average Premiership squad members.

It doesn't help that the actual football tends to be rank to Wat have either.

Argentina in Japan and Germany in France off the top of my head

Edited by Monty Burns

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame really we haven't even sold out the away end at Celtic have we? In fact aren't fans returning tickets (I read this in the press so it's probably inaccurate)

Ive a 5/1 bet that we get a win or a draw at weekend so im 100% behind the boys whereas normally I wouldn't give a toss because in the main they are so boring to watch

You got 5/1 that we don't lose to Slovenia? Who the hell from?!

Our early kickoff gives far too much drinking time before the start of watching the England game in the pub but it should be another comfortable win made difficult by players out of position and 'injuries'.

I just hope I'm still alive when Lee Johnson gets his knighthood for managing England to victory!

The FA are a joke in many ways and in my opinion whilst the actions of the bid team were clearly not as suspect as some of the other bid teams it doesn't change the fact that they acted abhorrently.

The English talent available for selection is currently the weakest I can remember by some distance and the structure of football in this country is such that I can't see that changing any time soon.

These are facts that change nothing about the fact that I am English and care passionately about our national team. I know that the odds of seeing us win something are somewhere between slim and zero but so what. Football isn't and never has been about supporting a team because they are successful.

England need the fans to get behind them now more than ever but it seems that many have given up.

There is no football experience to match following your country (particularly away) in my opinion.

I treat club and country the same. I wouldn't give up on Latics if we got relegated and I wouldn't give up on England if they fail to qualify for tournaments.

There are a number of England players that I have little time for but there have been plenty of Oldham players where I've felt the same. When you pull in the shirt all is forgiven for 90 minutes and you support them to 100%.

I know these views aren't popular at the moment but next Tuesday when I am at Celtic Park with 4,500 other England supporters belting out the national anthem I will get to experience something special.

If we can somehow turn it round and progress at the next World Cup or the one after that it will mean so much because of sticking with them through the lean times in the same way that the victory over Liverpool meant so much more to those of us that have seen much of the :censored: Latics have served up in recent history than to those who just turned up for the 'big game'.

I'm English and I love football. I don't see how I could possibly not support England. That's how being a fan is supposed to work.

Hit the nail on the head for me mate also.

I think what's doing it for more and more is being sold a lie year after year. I go into every season hoping something might fall into place, but I'm not led to believe that we are one of the major sides. Is it true that England have never beaten a major nation in tournament away from home? It's the worst of both worlds with the hype plus being shot, we're already building up the next Golden Generation of players out of average Premiership squad members.

It doesn't help that the actual football tends to be rank to Wat have either.

What's the lie?

I want England to do well but I'd take a play-off place over a World Cup win every day.

A play-off place? Not even promotion!?

I want England to win

However I feel frustrated watching them just how much they underachieve.

I also find it incredibly frustrating that we have the richest league in the world. We live in a g7 country of 50 million people where the thing that most people want to be is a footballer and we can't produce a team that can do better than Costa Rica.

Our attitude to coaching is shocking the lack of qualified coaches and attitude to coaching badges is an embarrassment. England don't produce enough good coaches and as a result the players are not as they should be.

I still want England to win. I just wish that as a nation we punched our weight and were more regularly in finals and semi finals of major tournaments like we should be.

Edited by GlossopLatic

The FA are a joke in many ways and in my opinion whilst the actions of the bid team were clearly not as suspect as some of the other bid teams it doesn't change the fact that they acted abhorrently.

The English talent available for selection is currently the weakest I can remember by some distance and the structure of football in this country is such that I can't see that changing any time soon.

These are facts that change nothing about the fact that I am English and care passionately about our national team. I know that the odds of seeing us win something are somewhere between slim and zero but so what. Football isn't and never has been about supporting a team because they are successful.

England need the fans to get behind them now more than ever but it seems that many have given up.

There is no football experience to match following your country (particularly away) in my opinion.

I treat club and country the same. I wouldn't give up on Latics if we got relegated and I wouldn't give up on England if they fail to qualify for tournaments.

There are a number of England players that I have little time for but there have been plenty of Oldham players where I've felt the same. When you pull in the shirt all is forgiven for 90 minutes and you support them to 100%.

I know these views aren't popular at the moment but next Tuesday when I am at Celtic Park with 4,500 other England supporters belting out the national anthem I will get to experience something special.

If we can somehow turn it round and progress at the next World Cup or the one after that it will mean so much because of sticking with them through the lean times in the same way that the victory over Liverpool meant so much more to those of us that have seen much of the :censored: Latics have served up in recent history than to those who just turned up for the 'big game'.

I'm English and I love football. I don't see how I could possibly not support England. That's how being a fan is supposed to work.

Very well said. Yes we have under performed for years but I can't stand it when an Englishman says they don't care about the national team because "we're sh*t'.

It smells of glory hunting fans and as latics fans we can't be accused of that and we still stick by our team. Yes these players get paid very well but doesn't guarantee success.

A lot of these so called England haters I bet still pack out the pubs in major tournaments wearing the England shirts and are just as pis*ed off as the rest when we go out of the tournament.

Stand by your team or lose, if you can't do that then don't take any of the glory if and when they finally win something.

There is no better atmosphere watching an England match live at a major tournament, I have been lucky enough to go to a world cup and euro championship and the atmosphere the English create is un-rivalled.

Enjoy the experience Wednesday mate :-)

I'll support Latics whatever.

I'll support England to an extent, but I expect to be entertained. Why? Because they're all paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week and the way they play should reflect that. They should at least have enough talent to do better than grind out a 1-0 win against 10-man Estonia.

Taking the money out of it, I want to see something that is deserving of my support. Some genuinely quality youngsters, some imaginative tactics or I'd even be happy with a bit of personality from player or coach that I could identify with, like we had in the tournaments in nineties. I just don't have any sense of attachment. Reckon I can count on one hand the number of England games I've really enjoyed since we lost on penalties to the Germans in Euro '96.

I realise this might all be the FA's fault, but the players and and management arn't poor little underdogs who are fighting against all odds. They all play in the best league in the world, yet continually under perform. It should be the highest honour to play for your country, yet I get the impression many of them see it as a hassle.

I hope they qualify, but won't lose any sleep if they don't. As unpatriotic as it sounds, I'm more excited about the other home nation games this weekend.

I'll support Latics whatever.

I'll support England to an extent, but I expect to be entertained. Why? Because they're all paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week and the way they play should reflect that. They should at least have enough talent to do better than grind out a 1-0 win against 10-man Estonia.

Taking the money out of it, I want to see something that is deserving of my support. Some genuinely quality youngsters, some imaginative tactics or I'd even be happy with a bit of personality from player or coach that I could identify with, like we had in the tournaments in nineties. I just don't have any sense of attachment. Reckon I can count on one hand the number of England games I've really enjoyed since we lost on penalties to the Germans in Euro '96.

I realise this might all be the FA's fault, but the players and and management arn't poor little underdogs who are fighting against all odds. They all play in the best league in the world, yet continually under perform. It should be the highest honour to play for your country, yet I get the impression many of them see it as a hassle.

I hope they qualify, but won't lose any sleep if they don't. As unpatriotic as it sounds, I'm more excited about the other home nation games this weekend.

I was going to post a longer reply again on this, but JoeP has pretty much covered it all for me: cheers mate!

It's not about our National side "being :censored:" for me (i mean, would that ever be a real reason for a Latics fan of all people?) - it's about a complete lack of identification with these Premier League 'superstars' on their £200K a week salaries.

Edited by slystallone

I was going to post a longer reply again on this, but JoeP has pretty much covered it all for me: cheers mate!

It's not about our National side "being :censored:" for me (i mean, would that ever be a real reason for a Latics fan of all people?) - it's about a complete lack of identification with these Premier League 'superstars' on their £200K a week salaries.

Imagine most people would have a lack of identification with those in our league earning 1-2k a week...

The FIFA/ FA corruption stinks and that puts me off the whole thing.

I do 'support England ' but that's because I am from the uk and I'd want england to win at tiddly winks, I agree I feel a disconnect with the millionaire players but i feel a similar unhappiness with the cricket at the moment and that hacks me off too!

Imagine most people would have a lack of identification with those in our league earning 1-2k a week...

Your kid's headmaster and (I guess) the store manager of a big Tesco is in that bracket. It's a lot of money but it's not beyond comprehension for a regular working person. 100x that is trickier

I have never cared about the national side. At 12 years old, I didn't care in Euro 96 so its not a new thing.

They have never felt like my players. I am much more interested in how Angola get on with one of my players than how England do.

I go watching the England test cricket team whenever I can, but thats because I dont actively support a club cricket side, England are my club side. I look for lancs results, watch a lot of cricket on tv, but Im never going to games other than England.

International football is like a freakshow. People who never watch football get involved. Everyone supporting the same side... Where is the fun in that? Part of what I like is the fact we all, your work colleagues, mates or whoever have their own allegiances. Thats part of the enjoyment. Everyone supporting the same team to me (and Im massively in the minority) ruins it.

I watch international football as I like football and its on, but I watch whatever is the most interesting game. Do I watch tournaments? But I don't care who wins.

My take on it is very different to most people.

Edited by pukka

Your kid's headmaster and (I guess) the store manager of a big Tesco is in that bracket. It's a lot of money but it's not beyond comprehension for a regular working person. 100x that is trickier

Aye, but you see my general point, it's an easy stick to beat them with, don't hear many complaints about actors earning 15 mill for making a film.

Aye, but you see my general point, it's an easy stick to beat them with, don't hear many complaints about actors earning 15 mill for making a film.

We may be murdering an analogy but if all the Oscar winners turned up to do your kids Christmas panto and looked like they hadn't learnt their lines...

Anyone who missed the Scotland Ireland game should try and catch the replay by the way. I doubt one of the starting players would even the England squad? I was (shock horror) hoping for an Ireland win but neither side of fans could go home with much to criticise. Not pretty but great to watch and fully committed.

We may be murdering an analogy but if all the Oscar winners turned up to do your kids Christmas panto and looked like they hadn't learnt their lines...

Anyone who missed the Scotland Ireland game should try and catch the replay by the way. I doubt one of the starting players would even the England squad? I was (shock horror) hoping for an Ireland win but neither side of fans could go home with much to criticise. Not pretty but great to watch and fully committed.

That Scotland V Ireland game was crap. A masterclass in how to waste possession. England do that quite often and get criticised for not caring (they do care, they just aren't as good at football as we'd expect or demand).