I bet if someone started a parody petition asking OAFC to sign Ched Evans that it would also rack up thousands of signatures - people with opposing views/ people who don't believe the strength of the conviction/ people who don't want him at their club/ people who believe in rehabilitation/ people who are sick of the uproar every time he's linked to a club etc.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet if someone started a parody petition asking OAFC to sign Ched Evans that it would also rack up thousands of signatures - people with opposing views/ people who don't believe the strength of the conviction/ people who don't want him at their club/ people who believe in rehabilitation/ people who are sick of the uproar every time he's linked to a club etc.

You're probably right, yet nobody has.

My personal issue with this is that I'm a young football coach, working with children. I like to think that I use the game of football to teach the kids about morals and sportsmanship, not just trying to improve their abilities. I'm in a position of trust to educate these kids. As such, I don't feel comfortable speaking to a parent of one of my players about supporting Oldham and then trying to justify the signing of a convicted rapist. How can I try and teach kids to be good citizens then go and cheer on a convicted rapist a few hours later? It puts me in a difficult position morally and, to be honest, I can live without OAFC if I have to. That'll probably infuriate the die yards but, at the end of the day, Id rather have my morals than sing a rapists name and celebrate him scoring a goal for my team

"He's served his time" - he's served half his sentence

"People deserve a second chance" - I'm not sure id be given one if I wanted to coach kids if I was a convicted sex offender

"We need him" - his record isn't exactly incredible. One good season in a strong, creative team. Plus, he hasn't played/trained properly for years

Mike Tyson never admitted his 'rape' as he maintained his innocence. If its the same for Evans they why should he buckle? Tyson is treated like a king over here.

For what it's worth I've always thought Tyson was a bit of a prick as well as a certifiable lunatic :) whether I'd tell him as much is another matter

Never read so much twaddle in my life as a lot on here. Morals and role models - don't make me laugh - footballers ceased to be that long ago - vast majority are foul mouthed, greedy, self-seeking so and so's - so couldn't give a damn if Evans signs or not - it'll all die down within a week or so when the media and social networking etc have some other 'non-event' to hype up.

Never read so much twaddle in my life as a lot on here. Morals and role models - don't make me laugh - footballers ceased to be that long ago - vast majority are foul mouthed, greedy, self-seeking so and so's - so couldn't give a damn if Evans signs or not - it'll all die down within a week or so when the media and social networking etc have some other 'non-event' to hype up.

This.

Bieber spotted in an Everton kit will be up next. Oh wait...

Sorry - I'm a bit late to the party.

It's not great publicity signing a convicted rapist, just like it wasn't great publicity signing Lee Hughes.

However, from a purely football perspective, we're skint and we need a striker.

I can see both sides of the argument and will continue to support OAFC, whatever the decision may be.

Exactly ! Suddenly they all come out of the woodwork - got no problem with anyone expressing a view - providing they get down to watch the team more than once evry blue moon - if you don't - shut up because it's got nothing to do with you!

My view is that I'd rather not sign Evans as it would be a PR disaster for the club (it arguably it already is), and we look likely to lose a proportion of our support.

It looks like the club are banking on Evans winning his appeal and the media outrage dying down, like it eventually did after signing Hughes.

For what it's worth, I reckon there's a good chance Evans will win his appeal, and the case sounds sketchy as :censored:. But the fact remains that as it stands he's a convicted rapist, and the club is looking very bad. It's :censored:ing terrible to hear so many of our fans ready to turn their backs on the club.

Exactly ! Suddenly they all come out of the woodwork - got no problem with anyone expressing a view - providing they get down to watch the team more than once evry blue moon - if you don't - shut up because it's got nothing to do with you!

Season ticket holder for 3 years (due to it being a birthday present) prior to that paid on the day for every single home game when I wasn't working and been to most games since 1992 when my step dad took me to my first match - I will not attend a single game if and for as long as Ched Evans pulls on a Latic's shirt - just doesn't sit right with me

I thought message boards 'weren't for you'?

So if you love abroad or can't afford to go every week or have family commitments or play football on a Saturday afternoon your opinion doesn't count? Cool

Imagine of the club argument is bollocks for two reasons

No one other than Oldham athletic fans care about Oldham athletic

And signing Lee Hughes a man who ended a life

Question for latics fans

Sign ched and go up or don't sign him and face another season in league 1?

Not saying That signing him will make us go up more of what would you rather ?

In my view we have more of a chance with him

PS anyone against this who ever once sang Lee Hughes name do yourself a favour and sor your head out

My view is that I'd rather not sign Evans as it would be a PR disaster for the club (it arguably it already is), and we look likely to lose a proportion of our support.

It looks like the club are banking on Evans winning his appeal and the media outrage dying down, like it eventually did after signing Hughes.

For what it's worth, I reckon there's a good chance Evans will win his appeal, and the case sounds sketchy as :censored:. But the fact remains that as it stands he's a convicted rapist, and the club is looking very bad. It's :censored:ing terrible to hear so many of our fans ready to turn their backs on the club.

There is no appeal according to one of the clued up posters on here.