• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from reactions on this topic it appears that people are more willing to forgive killing somebody as opposed to rape.

Both equally as bad as each other that leaves a trail of destruction to the lives of the people involved.

Yet it appears that some people will forgive one but not the other -

Strange thing morals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It certainly is a difficult topic.

Of course one key difference is that Lee Hughes asked for forgiveness. Whereas Ched Evans does not.

Until the legal process is over and / or he apologises I am genuinely stunned that any club would go near him. Even in this grubby industry.

Morale high ground of Hughes didnt mean it, you couldnt make it up, having a couple of bottles of champagne and snorting half of Columbia before getting behind the wheel of your car to mow down a group of innocent people who could of been any of our families and running away gets as bad as it gets surely ? Evans to be fair is unrepentant because he says he isnt guilty he is hardly going to ask for forgivness if he feels he is not guilty.

I've said for a long time that this conviction has, at best, very dodgy foundations.

The fact the 'victim' had previously accused 2 rugby players says a lot.

I don't blame him for showing no remorse. If you were wrongly jailed for 2 and a half years and wrongly accused of stealing a shag, would you be remorseful?

If we do sign him and he does recover his previous form and/or get his conviction overturned, he had best reward is with loyalty if any other club ever comes knocking?

It would be a crying shame if it takes an age to be over-turned and he's missed out on playing in the meantime?

The most worrying thing in the whole case is the fact he went down on her after his mate had bare backed her!?! WTF?

The question has been asked over why one can be accepted but not the other - Hughes vs Evans, causing death vs rape. Maybe it's also a bit of a cumulative effect? The Hughes signing was a first? Maybe signing a second convicted criminal is too much?

I've supported the club for over 54 years.

And it's the club, Oldham Athletic, rather than players, managers, owners, etc that has been the recipient of that support

It's the representation of a sense of identity with where I was brought up, and it has always outranked the individuals associated with it.

There have been many depressing days, years, but my support has remained.

And over those years the club has created a warm reputation amongst most in the game as a decent and friendly outfit. There's been an affection for the club whether we were doing well or not.

But the signing of Evans would be unique. It would represent a moral abdication, it would put my Latics on a par with any club that sought short term gain at the expense of what is right.

Will I still support Latics? Of course. Although I wouldn't be able to feel nearly as proud to say I did. A piece of my love for the club would have been choked off.

It's still not too late Simon Corney....

This is me. Do this and you are gone. I cannot stick with a club that condones rape. This would be the most depressing day ever. Please, please no. Please.

I could understand that train of thought if he had admitted to it but he has constantly professed his innocence.

Those of you with season tickets that will stop going, I will take it off your hands as in the last few weeks I no longer work Saturdays!

The press can quote this:

Our fans representitive did an article with the BBC a few weeks ago, stating that it was important to "consult the fans" before signing Evans.

Well we have not been consulted. No one I know has been.

As a season ticket holder of 25 years, I'm considering not going again. I am not sure what I'll be doing.

Edited by pukka

I could understand that train of thought if he had admitted to it but he has constantly professed his innocence.

Those of you with season tickets that will stop going, I will take it off your hands as in the last few weeks I no longer work Saturdays![/quote

no prob. Ill be selling mine pro rata season ticket rate for the remaining games

Personally I don't think I will watch Latics or spend money on them if they sign as a convicted rapist.

I believe everyone should have a 2nd chance but the idea of kids holding him as an idol/role model doesn't sit well with me. He will be a role model Regardless because he will score goals. He can have a 2nd chance and work somewhere else that doesn't mean kids will be chanting his name.

Gutted by it all if I'm honest and as a dad of a daughter this certainly gives me a different thought on the whole thing and plays a part in my decision!

This is my personal decision and if yours if different I respect that as I hope you'd respect mine!

Edited by super_blue