• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Stevie_J, January 4, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Stevie_J, January 4, 2015 - No reason given

I see fundamental differences, because I know people who have driven after drinking and I know the massively flawed mental permutations that lead to their doing so. There but for the grace of God and all that. The impact of his crimes is massive, but that was not his intent.

Rape is a crime of action - Ched Evans chose to rape that woman.

I wouldn't ideally have wanted Hughes and didn't warm to him. But this, this is worse to my mind.

No issues with him finding a club, he has served his sentence. But not my club, not Latics.

You do realise that Ched Evans had been drinking? I doubt a sober guy would like a girls front bottom after their mate had bare backed her.

I know it's an offence to name the victim, albeit she has changed her name since, but type 'Ched Evans Victim' into google and click the 3rd hyperlink for some details. Her picture is also on there. Tidy piece.

Well I have - I get the whole "he's served his time deserves to earn a living" etc there's plenty of child molesters out there who have "served their time" wouldn't want them at the club either if he gets cleared in the long run good luck to him but I have seen and dealt with many victims of rape and I don't want him at my club or to see kids with his name on the back of their shirt. That's my opinion you are all entitled to yours

*Hidden*

So? Both drank, but while Hughes chose to drive, Evans chose to have sex with an insensible woman.

This is not an apology for Lee Hughes, but I see a difference in the scale of what occured and hence I'll react differently.

Edited by Stevie_J

That's alright then.

I'm not saying that is the case, I'm playing devils advocate.

It's a less than ideal situation. In an ideal World we wouldn't be linked with this but he has served his time and is entitled to carry on with his life and in this case that revolves around playing football and trying to clear his name.

He is of far more use to society by being employed in his chosen profession so that he is contributing financially rather than being bounded by people, many who know nothing of the case/his career or football in general and being a social burden through welfare.

This is no longer about justice. If he was guilty justice has been served. This is about repeated punishment and victimisation and that doesn't sit well with me, less so as I doubt the strength of the conviction anyway.

Too much nimbyism going on too!

I'm not saying that is the case, I'm playing devils advocate.

It's a less than ideal situation. In an ideal World we wouldn't be linked with this but he has served his time and is entitled to carry on with his life and in this case that revolves around playing football and trying to clear his name.

He is of far more use to society by being employed in his chosen profession so that he is contributing financially rather than being bounded by people, many who know nothing of the case/his career or football in general and being a social burden through welfare.

This is no longer about justice. If he was guilty justice has been served. This is about repeated punishment and victimisation and that doesn't sit well with me, less so as I doubt the strength of the conviction anyway.

Too much nimbyism going on too!

This for me....

More signatures than average home attendance - surely that tells the club all they need to know?

Yeah, that all the sheep from every corner of the globe is signing it. Not worth the e-paper it's written on. It would be interesting to see the IP addresses of the sheep that are putting their name on it.

So? Both drank, but while Hughes chose to drive, Evans chose to have sex with an insensible woman.

This is not an apology for Lee Hughes, but I see a difference in the scale of what occured and hence I'll react differently.

I see Hughes as more in the wrong there.

Both Evans and his victim were wankered and each allowed each other to get into that situation. She got in the taxi and went to the hotel, as did he.

Hughes got wankered and decided to drive a huge lump of metal around, his victims didn't go their of their own accord.

From a moral perspective I believe everyone deserves a second chance. If the sentence is served then rebuilding a life should be allowed. The role model stuff doesn't wash with me. My concern is the negative press, our society will jump on the bandwagon of disdain and outrage. I don't think it will do the club any favours. However I think it takes courage on behalf of Corney and co to sign him knowing the flack the club will get. I respect opposing views but it would not prevent me for sticking by my club.

From a moral perspective I believe everyone deserves a second chance. If the sentence is served then rebuilding a life should be allowed. The role model stuff doesn't wash with me. My concern is the negative press, our society will jump on the bandwagon of disdain and outrage. I don't think it will do the club any favours. However I think it takes courage on behalf of Corney and co to sign him knowing the flack the club will get. I respect opposing views but it would not prevent me for sticking by my club.

I agree with your negative press bit and that is what worries me about this signing. The amount of outrage is clear from the petition that already has 6000 signatures. It is not about whether or not Hughes did something worse and we signed him. Whoever signs Ched Evans is going to get a lot of flak and sponsors and stakeholders will be under pressure to distance themselves from this. We will also alienate some of our own fans. A stupid gamble this in my opinion. We should have stayed clear.

Mike Tyson never admitted his 'rape' as he maintained his innocence. If its the same for Evans they why should he buckle? Tyson is treated like a king over here.

Reading a lot of stuff saying if he was sorry he'd be welcomed more openly. Do we recall the case with Dickov and the Leicester players? There are women out there like that, read up on Tysons case. As we know football, footballers and football fans get tarnished with the same brush as far as some of the general public and law makers are concerned. I feel Evans is getting double punishment just because he's a footballer.

I've no idea if Evans is innocent or not, I've read into it and its not clear cut, however he's done his jail time. Let him play and change things around.

No doubt we'll have consulted sponsors etc and its worth the gamble. Fans of OAFC will still be fans no matter who plays. We've had drug users, match fixers, a player who admitted to group sex with a 15 year old, Hughes and many others recently. The moral high ground went years ago.