Any developments today

Nope. But some journalisst articles that are worth a read - Telegraph, Daily Mail and Guardian.

I do not like the fact I have started finding myself trying to defend this to family, friends and colleague yesterday.

I think its called cognitive dissonance. My love and support for the club I have supported for over 25 years is conflicted with a signing that if I am honest deep down I do not think we should be making.

The arguments I have found myself making have been made on here and elsewhere:

He deserves a second change; he protests his innocence; he has served his time; its her word against his; he might be found innocent on review etc etc

I am a believer in rehabilitation and in second chances (I supported the decision to sign Lee Hughes). I can even find some 'technical moral arguments' to support the signing of Ched for similar reasons. But deepdown there is something about his case and his approach that doesn't sit right....probably the fact he has said nothing about the way the girl has been harressed, or the way Jess was abused on Twitter. It wouldn't take a lot to make him seem a bit more human and likable "There is a process that will be followed, and anyone absuing or harressing people regarding the case or any potential role I may take in teh future does not do that in my name etc".

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly this topic just cropped in the smoking shelter at my work and all the people involved in the conversation felt that he deserved the chance to resume his playing career, one of which was also on our youth team about 15 years ago, a few women too. I can honestly say that I haven't had or heard first-hand any bad comments towards the club, surprisingly.

To hope that the controversy dies down is futile - as if we sign him that will kick it all off again, then again when he plays his first match, then again when he scores his first goal, then again when he gets a red card, then again when he's subbed early, then again when he does anything.

Interestingly this topic just cropped in the smoking shelter at my work and all the people involved in the conversation felt that he deserved the chance to resume his playing career, one of which was also on our youth team about 15 years ago, a few women too. I can honestly say that I haven't had or heard first-hand any bad comments towards the club, surprisingly.

I can second that.

People I have spoken to have been very much it's s tough decision and that a club at sometime would give him a chance. The delays and silence that is clearly annoying and embarressing Latics fans, was seen as taking time to make a through decision.

Perhaps we are more annoyed because it is close to our hearts....others with distance and perspective see it as another rolling sports story?

To hope that the controversy dies down is futile - as if we sign him that will kick it all off again, then again when he plays his first match, then again when he scores his first goal, then again when he gets a red card, then again when he's subbed early, then again when he does anything.

The responses to other high profile ex prisoners suggests otherwise.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned in the first 80 pages but......

.....was Stephen Vaughan drafted in to play a part in all of this?

- his Maltese club are linked with him

- Ministry of Justice announce Evans can't go abroad

- we announce we're in talks

Or am I being too cynical......?

It will die down overtime.

Whilst the first appearance and goal are likely to make the news (plus the inital fall out of sponsors), overtime it will become less and less of a story. People get bored / move on to the next big deal.

The local press and fans of teams we will play will make it bigger news for them - but the rest won't be happy. Every team we play against will chant abuse as they did to Hughes (and as happened to Beckham after the 98 WC - people burnt effigies of him) but a month after his first game/goal that will be it for coverage.

Any out of the ordinary incident - red card, altercation with another player, a hat-trick, a notable game (a TV game, a play-off fixture) would see a bit of discussion about him.

If the club decide to sing him, then day to day it will go back to almost normal after a few months. The board no that, that is why they are considering signing him.

I think it's an easy story for media organisations to latch on to - and it certainly has to be one of the highest profile cases of its kind - which makes me think it'll be an easy story to follow up on down the line...

These days there are so many news broadcast hours to fill, an easy story is hard for news organisations to resist.

Even if one or 2 have threatened to pull out then that is enough to decide this is a bad idea

Although maybe I'm looking at this logically which messers Corney, Joy, and Owen clearly have shown none off in the last week or so.

That is some sort of tough job that the new marketing guy has taken on.

Regardless of whether you believe Ched should be given a second chance, whether you believe his is guilty - innocent, a victim or whatever:

Does anyone honestly believe it is now in the best interests Oldham Athletic to take him on?
The media attention.
The infighting between supporters

How can this now be worth it?

I'd love someone to explain to me how it is..

Regardless of whether you believe Ched should be given a second chance, whether you believe his is guilty - innocent, a victim or whatever:

Does anyone honestly believe it is now in the best interests Oldham Athletic to take him on?

The media attention.

That will all go away.

If he starts scoring for fun and shoots us up the division, there will be no infighting.

The media attention.

Despite what others are saying, I think there is the rather large chance that we could see protests by Womens Group's etc. at our games if we sign him.

Latest update on the mirror website....

Oldham's shirt sponsors say they will continue to support the football club if they sign Evans.

Carter Moore Solicitors confirmed they will back the Latics regardless of the club’s decision over the player.

Edited by chris_oafc

The media attention.

Media attention has been focused on our door step for the past two days already, the nation has been divided over the issue, from just a quick browse on twitter you can find plenty of opposing views. I'm actually surprised by the amount of support that we have had for attempting to sign Evans, a lot of people very much in the "he's served his time" camp.

Whilst we're getting considerable attention now, I have a feeling that once negotiations have concluded either way, the media attention will die down as quick as it gathered on Sunday/Monday. I don't think it will do any considerable permanent damage to our reputation, as was the case when we signed Lee Hughes, who moved to Notts County, Port Vale and Forest Green without any media fanfare after playing for us.

Social Media has very much enhanced and highlighted the issues, more than ever, but it will die down. People soon forget.

Again we may view this in similar vein to the Hughes signing. Met with some opposition within our support base and caused splits within the fans. However, the permanent effect will probably be minimal. Short-Term it could be potentially disastrous - but i'm convinced that any "true" fan, and i use that phrase lightly, would come back and support the boys again, after Evans had left, if that's why they chose not to turn up in the first place.

Ultimately the club should have handled the situation far better than it actually has. A statement should have been released as early as yesterday morning, informing the media that we were taking "due diligence" if that's what they want to call it and all options and opinions were being explored to see what is best for all parties involved. Mr Owen should have been around somewhere too, at least consulting with leading members of the trust to establish what to do next, but, it seems Barry looked after Number 1, as per usual.

Your good you are, have you got the lottery numbers for Saturday please.

I'd say he is pretty accurate in his prediction that it won't happen. If you say that peoples opinion are split 50/50 on this and that is being really generous to those who support the signing. I'd imagine the dressing room would be pretty similar. I'm not sure how successful he would be at scoring when half the team don't particularly want to pass to him.

Plus I'd say that most of the opposition players would be rubbing their hands trying to injure him. Plus the manager doesn't seem to want him, will he even get in the team.

Massive risk. Corney should have perhaps bought a lottery ticket instead.

Your good you are, have you got the lottery numbers for Saturday please.

Don't be silly, but I am pretty certain that super Ched will not fire us to Championship glory. Please note that I am not able to confirm as to whether or not the value of your property will increase and by how much in 2015.

I'd say he is pretty accurate in his prediction that it won't happen. If you say that peoples opinion are split 50/50 on this and that is being really generous to those who support the signing. I'd imagine the dressing room would be pretty similar.

Sadly, I don't think the other players will give a :censored:.

I'd say he is pretty accurate in his prediction that it won't happen. If you say that peoples opinion are split 50/50 on this and that is being really generous to those who support the signing. I'd imagine the dressing room would be pretty similar. I'm not sure how successful he would be at scoring when half the team don't particularly want to pass to him.

Plus I'd say that most of the opposition players would be rubbing their hands trying to injure him. Plus the manager doesn't seem to want him, will he even get in the team.

Massive risk. Corney should have perhaps bought a lottery ticket instead.

How do you know all that is true