He has not been what ?

He was found guilty....

He failed to appeal it...

His last hope is a case review that over turns 2% of the small number of cases it sees....

So what am I not getting ?

See above - bloody phone!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how has he been found guilty twice if he was allowed no appeal?

Ok maybe I should of worded it better first time around but that is in effect what happens when they look at your application for appeal and reply back and say "you are having a :censored:ing laugh aren't you lad" or in more realistic terms "refused"....

I presume it's not just any new evidence either, as they accrued a fair bit as shown on his website.

I suppose it had to be quite substantial evidence around the actual deed, which hasn't been possible because there was just the stuff in the room involving the three of them that had already been out before the jury, the video I presume had already been seen, and the messages she was alleged to have sent were deleted.

The new appeal is basically to do with pointing out something that was done wrong, procedure wise or law wise, in the trial? This is his only hope. Perhaps there may be some hope, judging by the fact the rather schoolboy error was made of not charging his mate with aiding Evans' rape (and only charging him with rape individually, which he was cleared for having met the girl earlier in the night and she went to hotel with him thus indicating consent). That was the reason he wasn't jailed and Ched was despite both of then being so involved...

But if it's successful, the entire sentence is quashed and he's completely cleared. No retrial. As I understand it....

If you could read I said I could of worded it better.... Not off with the troll.

Alright...I stand corrected. Looks like it was you said that 3 minutes before my question. I apologise.

That's the problem with a thread that updates 10 times before I can click "post", and to make matters worse I keep being redirected to some annoying health advert at the moment.

So what does "Not off with the troll" mean?

I presume it's not just any new evidence either, as they accrued a fair bit as shown on his website.

I suppose it had to be quite substantial evidence around the actual deed, which hasn't been possible because there was just the stuff in the room involving the three of them that had already been out before the jury, the video I presume had already been seen, and the messages she was alleged to have sent were deleted.

The new appeal is basically to do with pointing out something that was done wrong, procedure wise or law wise, in the trial? This is his only hope. Perhaps there may be some hope, judging by the fact the rather schoolboy error was made of not charging his mate with aiding Evans' rape (and only charging him with rape individually, which he was cleared for having met the girl earlier in the night and she went to hotel with him thus indicating consent). That was the reason he wasn't jailed and Ched was despite both of then being so involved...

But if it's successful, the entire sentence is quashed and he's completely cleared. No retrial. As I understand it....

Apologies for being pedantic but the current process in Evans's case is a review by the Criminal Cases Review Commission, which is not an appeal. Evans appealed to the Court of Appeal, made various submissions, and the CoA determined that there were not grounds to overturn the original verdict.

His review may be based on procedural failings or on new evidence. If his review is successful, his case will be referred back to the Court of Appeal. The CCRC cannot quash his conviction.

It appears that the rarely-wrong Chron was the only media outlet to report that Corney had quit and Barry Owen's position is in doubt.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/89746/corney-quits-as-ched-deal-off

It now says:

Club owner and chairman Simon Corney is thought to be considering his position after denying initial claims he had resigned. The future make up of the Latics board remains uncertain.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/89776/latics-battle-to-restore-tarnished-image