Christ on a bicycle, I simply can't believe that a Director has seen fit to resurrect this all over again. The Evans affair brought the club into the limelight for all the wrong reasons, it had (pretty much) gone away and now the fire is being stoked again. Is Owen stupid enough to try to sign Evans again? I sincerely hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised. The sooner he is out of the club we all love, the better.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is "alleged" because it has been alleged by people. "Alleged" doesn't mean "innocent". "Alleged" doesn't mean "not guilty" even. "Alleged" has no bearing on the outcome of a trail. It is simply what people will tend to say to cover there arses pre judicial verdict or if they don't accept the verdict. But every crime that anyone has ever been accused of can correctly be referred to as "alleged".

It's irrelevant now if 'alleged' has no bearing on the outcome of a trial, because the trial found him guilty, and then he had an appeal rejected. That makes him guilty. The crime was alleged, and then two separate processes decided it happened.

Barry's choice of words was poor. It's not his place to decide if Evans is/was guilty or not.

It's irrelevant now if 'alleged' has no bearing on the outcome of a trial, because the trial found him guilty, and then he had an appeal rejected. That makes him guilty. The crime was alleged, and then two separate processes decided it happened.

Barry's choice of words was poor. It's not his place to decide if Evans is/was guilty or not.

No

That makes the verdict guilty. The law has decided he did it. That doesn't mean that he actually did. And even with the omniscience required to decide his actual guilt, the crime would still be "alleged".

"Alleged" just means that it has been claimed. Whether the judicial system found him guilty or not, it has still been "alleged". Barry's use of the word is perfectly correct.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Upon reflection, what is most concerning to me is that if Barry and Evans are continuing a relationship, and indeed this shower of an interview was held on the same day as they met for lunch, is that Barry and in turn the club are conceivably being used as a mouthpiece for the Justice for Ched campaign. Evans is now on his best post 'apology' behaviour and it's as if we're doing the dirty work.

It's completely unacceptable.

No

That makes the verdict guilty. The law has decided he did it. That doesn't mean that he actually did. And even with the omniscience required to decide his actual guilt, the crime would still be "alleged".

"Alleged" just means that it has been claimed. Whether the judicial system found him guilty or not, it has still been "alleged". Barry's use of the word is perfectly correct.

Disagree. Technically, of course it will always be an allegation, but it was tried and he was found guilty. If he wins his appeal it'll be fair to call it an allegation again.

We'll never know if he did it or not, but he's been found guilty twice. For Barry to describe it as alleged, it implies he thinks Evans isn't guilty, that's why it's a poor choice of words for a former police officer and club director to use.

Disagree. Technically, of course it will always be an allegation, but it was tried and he was found guilty. If he wins his appeal it'll be fair to call it an allegation again.

We'll never know if he did it or not, but he's been found guilty twice. For Barry to describe it as alleged, it implies he thinks Evans isn't guilty, that's why it's a poor choice of words for a former police officer and club director to use.

No. It just implies that Barry isn't happy to use the court's verdict to describe the alleged crime. And either way, he is entitled to think that Evans is not guilty. He's not alone.

In Barry's defence, I get his points about Evans having the right to seek work, an employer having the right to offer him work (or not to offer him work) and mob mentality.

I can even accept that even though sometimes the words Barry uses aren't always the best they're not usually intended to offend.

I disagree with him profoundly around Oldham Athletic getting involved and seemingly remaining involved. I think that stirring up the waters again after it's gone away is foolish to the extreme. The way he uses the Athletico's 70,000 banner to support his case is piss poor and just because a not insignificant minority of fans supported the signing doesn't mean it could ever be the right thing to do.

Becoming Evans' stooge ahead of the next hearing? Steer well clear.

I can't believe how little is understood by some people about the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

Convictions that are unspent

• If asked by an employer, you have to disclose them, and they can legally refuse you or discriminate against you.
  • They will be disclosed on all types of criminal record disclosure (basic, standard and enhanced).
  • If asked, you will have to disclose the when applying for products and services, such as insurance, a mortgage or renting a house.
  • You could be prosecuted if you fail to disclose them when asked.
So the club had the LEGAL right to refuse the convicted rapist the right to work. After that it become a moral issue for everybody if the club decided to go against that and employee him. Customers and Sponsors are always going to take a view point. You shouldn't be in business if you can't accept or understand that.

It is very BRITISH and democratic for your customers and backers to have and express their feelings.

The whole interview is rubbish point after rubbish point to me. We should never have considered employing him. Many rapists struggle to go back to their previous line of work. He was not a special case.

Edited by oafc0000