Team against Crewe?

Apparently Crewe beat Bristol City with a 3-5-2 on Saturday.

Strange feeling going into the game, yes we've lost at home to bottom of the league in the past but I can't remember us going into that fixture not being favourites to win.

A couple of weeks ago this would've been a home banker, things can change quickly.

How about playing winny and dayts as wing backs, back 3, 2 narrow centre-mids and 2 properly up front - no no.10 - I reckon with proper support and lots of crosses Ibs could bag for us. I am not normally one for messing about with formations but drastic measures could be needed after last 2 games. Probably get slaughtered for this suggestion heh heh. Just hope that there's a good turnout, we all turn up half-cut, have a xmas knees up, get behind the lads - they need us more than ever right now - and try to generate some positivity @ BP - if and it's a big IF we can beat Crewe and bounce back, who knows we could be back in the play-off positions.

I think it's almost a given that Winchester should be back in. D Johnson good moments are great but, similar to Baxter or Harkins, others (more often than not, Philliskirk) have to work harder to accommodate them to the detriment of their own game.

Winchester seems more able than anyone else to drived forward with the ball AND pick a defence-splitting pass to the likes of Forte.

We have played most games this season with ten and a half players. This was fine when Forte was scoring goals and understandable that he should avoid tackling. When we added another half player in Johnson, wonderful going forward, it was asking rather too much from the rest of the team.

The last five games have shown us the lack of depth in the squad. LJ tried something new against Yeovil and it was a failure from the start. Two cup exits, a poor and an uncommitted performance later the only way forward is back to the team that got us to sixth. Even missing Kelly we should be capable of beating Crewe and getting this show on the road again.

4 4 2 with players in their usual positions. Rach, Mills, Wilson, Dieng, Wilson, Winchester, Jones, Philly, another, Jabo & Forte - it is the another that is the problem. Mellor lacks games, Tidser not so good, Dayton only an impact player.. I end up with Dieng moving forward and being replaced by George or Philly taking on the holding role and Poleon coming in.

Its a measure of the impact of these last two games, and Crewe beating Bristol that a draw V Crewe suddenly becomes an attractive result.

Its a measure of the impact of these last two games, and Crewe beating Bristol that a draw V Crewe suddenly becomes an attractive result.

You think a draw against bottom of the league is an attractive result?

Don't care what form you're in, anything but a win on Boxing Day is very poor.

A clean sheet would be almost as encouraging as a win as it would indicate he's sorted out the main problem very quickly.

Naturally, I'd love us to win 5-4 but we'd be going to Barnsley far less confident than we would with a 1-0, or even a 0-0.

Funny old game etc.......

Here's one for you,Dean Holden has appeared twice for Walsall this season and assume he's still registered to play, if fit would you stick him in at right or even centre back ?

Not my opinion, just a question to you all with my tin hat on. :peepwall:

Here's one for you,Dean Holden has appeared twice for Walsall this season and assume he's still registered to play, if fit would you stick him in at right or even centre back ?

Not my opinion, just a question to you all with my tin hat on. :peepwall:

Signed on a permanent deal outside of the transfer window, wasn't he? So he's probably not allowed, regardless.

...thankfully.

Missed the last 2 games thankfully. But feel the bigger picture needs to be looked at. We need to make sure we are playing to the strengths of our key players and not trying to fit loan players in where not needed. We did the team bonding at the start of the season to get the players all knitted together and then johnson has been trying to replace a lot of them ever since. I think this has undermined team spirit. As such to restore this I would go with the following.

chubs

Wilson dieng wilson mills

Mellor

Winchester Jones

Phili

forte Poleon

Although not convinced about Poleon at least he is one of ours and there is an absence of alternatives up front. I like Mellor in that holding role as not sure he really has the engine to play a different role. Although he would always be behind Kelly due to Kelly being more defensively sound.

I like the look of johnson but don't think he does enough defensively so would be either him or Phili for the central role or him or forte for wide left. He would lose out in both of these for me