Fleetwood 0-2 Oldham

The Strawberry Gardens pub about 5 mins walk from the ground. Really friendly with loads of real ale. Apparently he owns and runs it!

Syd and his wife run the Kitchen as an independent business to the Pub,worked hard today keeping the faithfull fed!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrappy first half with decent amounts of possession, but Fleetwood looked more threatening in short bursts and had the better chances.

Second half transformation from Latics - and our forwards and midfield looked to drive at goal and shoot more. It was rewarded with a great goal and then the confidence seemed to spread through the team and at times we played as well as we have all season.

Second goal and then closed the game out.

Top performance and result.

Fleetwood - a strange and yet wonderful little ground. Barcode automatic turnstiles and a large colour screen, plus a decent main stand with good executive facilities (being abused by at least 2 lots of Latics fans).....coupled with 'uncovered terraces' that were a tarmac path to another stand, and 3 stands small enough that the local back gardens must get a fair selection of free footballs.

6 promotions in 10 years it declared on their main stand. I'd say making they transition from non to football league nicely.

Superb day out. We also visited the Strawberry Gardens pub before the match, and it's a top boozer. By 2:30 they had ran out of a lot of ale, so they must have been very glad of our custom.

Really enjoyed watching Latics in a "pimped up non league ground". The terrace was bouncing all game, and the sooner we get safe standing the better. Plus the stewards, police and Fleetwood fans all seemed very pleasant, which helped the atmosphere no end. Seeing three sides of an away ground all chanting together at the end was immense.

It was a real shift from the team too, and I'd echo the comments about the front two. Although they didn't carve out many chances, at least they grafted hard and worked the Fleetwood defence.

Connor Brown did a good job standing in at LB, and the midfield terrorized in the second half. Who needs multiple loanees eh?

Journey home was fairly horrid. 40 minutes getting out of Fleetwood. Motorway covered in snow from Bolton, and it took an hour to get from Manchester Road to Moorside. But bollocks to it. EVERYWHERE WE GOOO..

Connor Brown did perfectly well as he usually seems to do, deserves to be cut a little slack.

Best I've seen Poleon play, he needs to show that work ethic every time, do that and things will start to fall right in front of goal.

Elokobi and J. Wilson much better, Kelly terrific as always.

All blue kit is the future, take note Sondico.

Jim's Sports Bar is very good, we should have been looking to replicate it.

What did you knock the 1 off for? A bit picky don't you think?

Having kept Evans (their bizarre MOTM selection) well and truly under control for 70 minutes he failed to follow him when they tactically shifted him out left.

Can't believe he didn't just do two jobs!

Until recent years I don't think I fully appreciated the role of the deeper sitting midfield player. Kelly's as good as I've seen at this level though.

I'd pass on Jabo.

Tempted to say Philliskirk as a genuine striker alongside AN Other. Forte back on the left.

Philly's finishing was poor yesterday. Had 3 very clear shots and goal and none of them went in.

I'd pass on Jabo too.

Winchester ran the show, and with a decent striker we'd have scored quite a few more from his creativity

Jabo is great at holding the ball up and bringing others into play - more so that our front two yesterday - but he just doesn't threaten enough in front of goal to be taken on full-time IMO.

Poleon has more potential to cause problems - would give him a run in the team with Forte on the wing and A.N.Other alongside him.

Its not just the excellence he displays on the field with Kelly - its his leadership and identity that he gives the team as well.

The transformation in the JPT game against Preston when he (and in fairness Poleon and Wilson) took the field was unbelievable. He clearly raises the level and intensity of those around him which is invaluable at any level.

It caught my eye in the euphoria of the Jones free kick that it was Kelly who grabbed 3 or 4 players by the scruff of the neck yesterday and was clearly organising and reminding others of responsibilities.

Quite simply the most important player we have had in many years.

Absolutely brilliant, he was. I would love to have had player cam on him for that game and watch it back.

Need a decent chant for him.Amazing. something along the lines of the old music hall favourite " anyone here seen kelly" ?

The guy's incredible. Wins the ball back so often, takes the ball from Rachubka and dictates play, there was a couple of incredible long ranged passes in the first half. Looks like he's relishing being a captain too, (to be fair, there was a lot of supportive action yesterday, Poleon went over to Philli after he missed his one-on-one and told him to keep going, and someone did similar to Poleon when he had a chance).

A real good team performance, no-one let us down (don't think AMS and Poleon should be our striker force long term, though)

Oh.....and THAT cross field pass to Winchester in the first half. Stunning!!

It was he pinged that 50 yards in a strong wind and it was inch perfect, was my man of the match but Rachubka, Winchester and Elokobi had their best games in a long time, I also thought Brown, Amari and Poleon deserve to start if fit in the next game, give the front two a run of games they will only get better, I personally think its unfair to call them bang average as they defended from the front yesterday and took some of the pressure of the midfield, both look a little short on confidence and for me deserve the game time and our support.

Absolutely brilliant, he was. I would love to have had player cam on him for that game and watch it back.

Need a decent chant for him.Amazing. something along the lines of the old music hall favourite " anyone here seen kelly" ?

Great shout peanuts!easy to remember.

Nope. They looked at our tickets and prodded us left. We enjoyed the hail!

Same here. We stood by the barrier to to the left of the stand (in front of the toilet) cos we could see the stand was packed. Got told by a steward (who checked our tickets) to move to the stand. Steward in the stand told us "you're tickets aren't for here, go over there". Saw none of the first half. Leeslover asked a copper if the stewards were always this disorganised and got told "sir,this is skybet league one. If you want good organisation, go to old Trafford or Anfield. "