Barnsley vs oldham

The general consensus on here is that we didn't turn up - and the stats seem to back that up. I wonder if LJ will share that view when he speaks to the media today?

Probably.

He usually says it as he sees it. And usually sees it right, with the occasional exception.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine that he will try to keep the positivity as he has since the Yeovil and dons thrashings...however I imagine drawing positives from that last night will be a tad more difficult and tenuous!

My guess is:

- tiredness and leggy

- lack of cutting edge

- had majority of possession but lacked conviction

-weak goal against run of play from nothing

- league is tight and still in the mix

- rally the troops and put it right on Saturday

How did Poleon play ?

Couldn't get into the game as every single attack was a high punt up to Forte.

Philliskirk the same. I'd get the ball on the deck and put Mellis behind the strikers and Philly on the bench, he's not effective enough in this formation, simple.

How come nearly every team we play is 'bang average', 'very poor' or the 'worst I've seen'?

And with us being so good with a genius manager why is that we don't beat most of them?

Never any middle ground for some people...

True, I don't believe you need to play pretty Football at our level, just take your chances. Preston last season being a prime example. The difference last night was that Barnsley looked very low on confidence, they didn't case us any problems and bagged a goal from a mistake made by Brown. Had that mistake not been made I cant see where an opposition goal would have come from.

True, I don't believe you need to play pretty Football at our level, just take your chances. Preston last season being a prime example. The difference last night was that Barnsley looked very low on confidence, they didn't case us any problems and bagged a goal from a mistake made by Brown. Had that mistake not been made I cant see where an opposition goal would have come from.

You can't put the blame solely on Brown....he wasn't responsible for the forward getting in front of Elokobi or Kean having a weak hand on a soft header.

Edited by mikejh45

Seriously? funny, nobody rushed to mention that when telling my how great he was again going forward....

I thought he headed it too. I've seen match reports describe it as a volley.

Definitely a header from what I saw.

I would also blame Elokobi's poor positioning/marking over Brown allowing the cross in.

Kean should definitely have kept it out. There was no real power in it and it was near enough right at him. Was as weak a hand as Rachubka's.

Seriously? funny, nobody rushed to mention that when telling my how great he was again going forward....

There was more drive on the left than on the right and more space created by Brown and Jones as opposed to Winchester and Wilson who were slow and predictable and created Jack Sh*t. The problem as I saw it was playing right-pegged players on the left as both players moved inside with the ball on their right foot and narrowing the field of play.

I'm almost 100% sure it was a volley. Following a series of errors, of which Kean should receive the least blame. Someone :censored:ted out in midfield, Brown went to the winger then stopped, and Elokobi was asleep/tying his laces or something and let their man run free.

Abject performance. Wilkinson only one showed a level of non-:censored:ness. I'm adamant Forte is better wide left and given freedom to drift, there's no use in putting him up top and lumping it to his head.

Does it really matter whether it wss a header or volley. It was a catalogue of errors.....Winchester for a bad pass, Johnson for playing a RB at LB, Brown for trying to tackle/stop a cross with the wrong leg, Elokobi for being fat and slow and Kean for being slow and weak.

I agree with Josh that Wilkinson was the only player to come away with any credit.

What made Johnson think that Forte was good for a full match.....the poor git was clutching his thigh and stretching after an hour.

Time for Johnson to use his squad again......I think we need Lockwood's organisation at the back and he can't be slower or less mobile than Big George.

LJ singles Forte out for his turn of pace post match against Notts County then totally nullifies his pace by moving him inside, in a mismatch with Mvoto. Lets play to our strengths everytime ive seen Jones wide rignt or Forte up top it hasnt worked why keep persisting ?

Stats, Forte will have 12% more hot touches in the key zones playing up front than he does wide left. Or summat like that.

Modern football.

So are we :censored: again now?

I can't keep up.

We are certainly inconsistent.

I enjoyed Saturday's win but there was nothing about it that said we were world beaters.

I even enjoyed the defeat at Gillingham. It convinced me the players can have a go in adversity.

Last night showed that there are times when the collective team can look like they don't give a :censored:.

Add it all together and there's little evidence to suggest that there's enough about them to genuinely challenge for a play-off spot. However close to the top six we may be.

Thought Mellis had some very nice touches when he came on, looks a very useful player and made more of an impact than Philiskirk.

Kelly certainly looked to give a :censored:. His paddy at the referee in the last five minutes was brilliant.

The change in formation still puzzles me. Going one up top was far from effective, and M'voto was able to deal with the majority of our long punts up field.

Thought Elokobi was poor.

First half wasn't working so I can understand a change in formation, but it was the wrong one. Danny Wilson's come out and said they forced us to play narrow, which is fair, and probably why we never had a winger wanting the ball when the fullbacks had it. I'd have put Poleon and Forte on the wings for 10-15 mins and either Philliskirk or Wilkinson upfront and seen how that worked, rather than just lumping it up for M'Voto to head wherever he liked. Might not have worked, but the alternative definitely didn't.