Barnsley vs oldham

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negatives about tonight:

• We were absolutely terrible, the worst I've seen us this season (wasn't at franchise).
  • They were absolutely terrible, the worst team I've seen play this season (apart from us just then).
  • The officials were crap.
  • The substitutions were odd to say the least, why like for like?
  • The eventual formation change was odd, losing and you go 1 up top.
  • The tannoy was ridiculous, " keys could be for a car or motorcycle", who's sat in the crowd thinking, well they cant be my honda keys that i lost at the ticket office because I've got a bike.
  • Phase 5 for the stewards, they all shuffled along a bit and opened a gate, then sodded back to where they originally were.
  • They took the lid of my coke.
  • The barnsley fans are worse than our moaners, every decision was a massive injustice.
  • It was cold.

Positives about tonight

• Tommy wrights coat, i love it.

I thought Kean should have saved the goal.

I thought Brown was :censored:e and replacing him was the right thing to do. Then Mills was :censored:e.

The rest of the Latics team were :censored:e to a man. Except, perhaps, Wilkinson.

Our tactics were :censored:e.

Barnsley were :censored:e.

Elokobi's boot laces were :censored:e.

I'm going to sleep in the freezer now. Might warm up there.

Edited by opinions4u

I thought Kean should have saved the goal.

I thought Brown was :censored:e and replacing him was the right thing to do. Then Mills was :censored:e.

The rest of the Latics team were :censored:e to a man. Except, perhaps, Wilkinson.

Our tactics were :censored:e.

Barnsley were :censored:e.

Elokobi's boot laces were :censored:e.

Elokobi needs velcro straps on his boots, also why would the referee halt the game for some one to tie his boots.

Maybe, i was more worried about the ease at which the winger crossed it and the striker got in front of elokobi.

Agree, brown stepped inside and was to narrow so failed to get across and block then Elokabi was half asleep and let the lad come across him.

Edited by super_blue

You pay to see two teams at a football game and it is bad when oldham fans are chanting boring boring barnsley to their players. Time wasting as soon as they scored

Its a tactic we should of employed in recent weeks when letting points disappear, I'd of taken an ugly 1-0 win but we dont seem to be able to grind out results on our off days, be a tough game at Glanford Park on Saturday lets hope the players have it in them to show up.

Heartbreaking to lose to a side that poor, but we deserved nothing more.

If Forte had squared it instead of going for the lob at 0-0, we could have gone on to trounce them.

Don't know what melia was watching but Connor Brown was poor tonight.

Hate to say it as I love the man, but I'd get Elokobi out and bring Dieng in as I can't watch any more aimless hoofs up to nobody.

Also, it was plain for everyone to see the long ball up to Forte was not working after 15/20 minutes as M'voto was winning every single header. I was sure LJ would change it at half time and we'd keep it on the deck, but persisted with that tactic and it was depressing to watch.

I can take losing to a good side but they were absolutely :censored:ing dreadful.

Just got home and I'm still p*ssed off.

Points I need to get off my chest:

- Why the f*ck do we keep playing that crap diamond formation....since it's been adopted Jones has become ineffective pushed wide.

- Forte is better wide rather than as a front man.

- Wilson and Winchester are too slow and predictable. Brown created more going forward but struggled with their winger.

- The diamond formation doesn't give Elokobi enough passing options hence the stupid long ball to forwards who had no chance in the air against M'Voto.

- Philliskirk needs to be benched.

- Shocking substitutions - for me it should have been Mills for Wilson, Wilkinson for Philliskirk and Mellis for Winchester.

- Forte should have started on the bench as he can't do 90 mins.

- What has Dieng done wrong? Elokobi and Wilson are not the backbone we expect them to be.

I'm stopping now, my blood pressure is too high!!!

-

- Philliskirk needs to be benched.

I think he will be out for a few weeks injured. I'm guessing achilles.

- Shocking substitutions - for me it should have been Mills for Wilson, Wilkinson for Philliskirk and Mellis for Winchester.

I didn't have any problem with the substitutions. They all made sense.

A strange performance from pretty much the same side that took Notts County apart in the second half on Saturday.

First half seemed to start as normal, with Latics slowly getting their possession football together and dominating the game albeit not as convincing as we are sometimes - but I felt that it looked like a game we would get control of and hopefully win.

A goal out of nothing as Barnsley had not been down our end, and being critical Keane got a hand to it and on a first look it didn't look that hard.

For the next 5 minutes we seemed to continue with the ball on the floor and pass it around and it looked as though we would carry on and hopefully let our obvious superiority pay dividends.....and then it all went wrong.

We seemed to get dragged down to Barnsley's level and revert to much more long balls and it degenerated into one of the worst displays of the season (I missed Yeovil and MK). Plenty of throw-ins down the right hand side that resulted from the clearances from the long ball and a few corners never seemed to generate any threat and the first half came to a close.

Second half was a similar story - a period of good possession (backed by some good noise from the fans) failed to create any chances, on the face of it sensible substitutions at the time, and the team seemed to revert to version that we have not seen for a while. Lack of confidence on the ball, some mistakes in possession / simple passes (although credit to Barnsley they closed us down well), resulted in the last 20-25 minutes of long balls forward from the back to Wilkinson - who whilst doing an OK job of leading the line didn't create any chances.

Walking back to the car heard some Barnsley fans saying that Oldham had a lot of possession tonight but didn't recall Turnbull making a save. A quick check of the BBC website shows that despite 55% possession we only managed 7 shots (to Barnsley's 6) and only got one on target (don't recall it). Barnsley only registered one shot on target as well.

I am not doom and gloom and fearing a relegation battle - I know that we have a good team and a good manager that will pick up more good results than bad ones - but I think that the old football challenge of consistency is the one that will in the end stop us genuinely challenging for the Top 6. I think 65 points and 8-10th spot is where we will finish. Progress over the last 5+ seasons, and room for hope for the next with SC continuing to back the best manager / squad we have had in a longtime.

How come nearly every team we play is 'bang average', 'very poor' or the 'worst I've seen'?

And with us being so good with a genius manager why is that we don't beat most of them?

Never any middle ground for some people...

They weren't very good, we aren't very good and the manager isn't a genius.

There's still hope though. Until about the middle of March.

A quick check of the BBC website shows that despite 55% possession we only managed 7 shots (to Barnsley's 6) and only got one on target (don't recall it)

Winchester, weak left foot. Second half.

Oldham had a lot of possession

Throw in backwards to the half way line. Sideways. Bit of pressure. Back to the keeper. Out to the full back. Into midfield. Back to the keeper. Repeat.

Dull :censored: possession. No good when you're a goal down.

Edited by opinions4u

How come nearly every team we play is 'bang average', 'very poor' or the 'worst I've seen'?

And with us being so good with a genius manager why is that we don't beat most of them?

Because football fans are biased.

And Barnsley last night, and Notts County were poor.

Recently I thought Fleetwood and Rochdale (despite the scoreline) were decent sides that if goals had gone in the other way at the wrong time could have been very different. Earlier in the season, PNE in the first half of the JPT were very impressive.

Because they really were dreadful and it's frustrating knowing that had we turned up and employed the correct tactics, we'd have beaten them by a margin.

Winchester, weak left foot. Second half.

Throw in backwards to the half way line. Sideways. Bit of pressure. Back to the keeper. Out to the full back. Into midfield. Back to the keeper. Repeat.

Dull :censored: possession. No good when you're a goal down.

The general consensus on here is that we didn't turn up - and the stats seem to back that up. I wonder if LJ will share that view when he speaks to the media today? Edited by TheBigDog