Why are we so bad against the worst teams?

There must be an explanation as to why places 17th and downwards are guaranteed points off us almost every time.

Including last night - Barnsley were 17th before we propelled them up the table - this is our record against the bottom 8:

P9 W1 D3 L5. That's 6 from a possible 27 points.

Compare that to us against 5-17th place teams in the table - again, before Barnsley beat us:

P14 W8 D6 L0. That's 30 from a possible 42 points.

Complacency? Tactics? Form? These are the games that are costing us the top 6, or maybe even top half if it continues.

Barnsley are 2 points behind us having payed the same amount of games.

It tells me that he league is full of very similar teams of the same standard that can quickly move up the table if they can put a few wins together as the division is so tight

It also tells me that we are not as good as some think we are.

Same every year the most consistant teams are successfull. The teams that can stay unbeaten for 10 -15 games but then have a poor 10-15 games will sit in the middle of the table wondering where it all went wrong

Palmer1 makes good points, but that doesn't account for why our fortunes are so drastically different with the teams around us.

It surely can't be a coincidence that we are able to contain and beat the top half and better bottom half yet lose most of our games against the bottom 8. If everyone was very similar in level then surely we'd have a consistent record against all teams below 4th place.

To me, the fact there is a very obvious difference in how we perform against them tells me that there is a distinction between the better and the worse teams in the league, and that, therefore, there is a problem with us.

They sit deep, Forte can't use his pace, and we're not technically good enough to pass through teams. So we end up hoofing it long, and we don't have the players to do that.

We need to have Winchester, Jones, Forte, Mellis, Poleon, probably others running right at these sides centre halves - we didn't seem to try that last night.

Philliskirk & Mellis came closest to it but wanted to thread a Hollywood through ball in every time...

Agreed, and it is clear that it is not a very high one.

I think that the style of football that most teams in League One try to play is far more attractive and interesting to watch than it has been over the some of the 18 seasons we have seen down here. Most teams play the ball to feet on the ground, and get success with it.

There are always going to be games that are awful - last night was one of them.

The analysis is interesting though. The record against the bottom teams is bizzare, and enough data there to make it more than some statistical anomally.

As stated it might be down to their approach against a perceived better team i.e. sit back and 'park the bus' and see if we can unlock them which perhaps we cannot do regularly enough and are more successful when we have some gaps to exploit on the break?

It might be that our defenders are not good at concentration. Large periods of not being under pressure from a team happy to sit back, means that we swtich off and are more prone to mistakes leading to goals against than when we play a team we are under pressure from?

Whatever - it is something that the manager and players need to look at if we are to progress this season or next.

Better teams are generally more open an confident in their play which suits our team...a packed midfield and defence and then the lack of quality of our attacking ability is evident vs the better quality attacking squads in the top 6...

Edited by Blue_Guru

Better teams are generally more open an confident in their play which suits our team...a packs midfield and defence and the quality of our attacking ability is evident vs the better quality attacking squads in the top 6...

This is why I really fancy us to go up if we can just sneak into the playoffs

This is why I really fancy us to go up if we can just sneak into the playoffs

3 points from the 6 games against the current top 6 this season (admittedly all away)!

I think we can make these stats say whatever we want them to say. The simple fact is that we are too inconsistent. We have only won consecutive games twice this season.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a tough one isn't it. On one hand Johnson gets labelled "tinkerman" for changing things based on the opposition; on the other he gets accused of not possessing the tactical nous to combat the "lesser" teams.

I'd be more inclined to say we're just an average League One side.

That's the top and bottom of it. We've severely over-achieved this season...

Over achieved ?

We have now played all 4 of the bottom 4 at home in the league and its pretty grim reading played 4 lost 3 drawn 1, 9 goals against, 2 for.

A return of 1 point from a possible 12 against teams rooted to the bottom of the table is unacceptable, if some players cant put it in against these teams they need to take a look at themselves, the difference between the application and desire in the last two home games is chalk and cheese, the fact the club put on a promotion today is even more disappointing.

Yep. We're sixth. We expected to be about 14th. That's over achieving...

It could be viewed like that and in the grand scheme of things Id of ripped your arm off to be in with a shout of the playoffs but one point from twelve at home to the bottom four, all it makes me think is what could of been, an opportunity missed Id say.