Hardest player

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly all defenders mentioned so far, but it take a forward with guts to play with your back to some physical.aggressive defenders without being bullied.

Andy Ritche and Rodger Palmer never hid.

And you would't mess with Big Vic Halom - you wouldn't even want him to stare at you.

Nearly all defenders mentioned so far, but it take a forward with guts to play with your back to some physical.aggressive defenders without being bullied.

Andy Ritche and Rodger Palmer never hid.

And you would't mess with Big Vic Halom - you wouldn't even want him to stare at you.

Indeed, and John Hurst was a bit of rock at the back.

Alan Lawson. Who remembers the song we sang to the tune of Scottish Soldier.

There was a half back

A scottish half back

And Lawson was his name

and clogging was his game

He came to Oldham

When Celtic sold him

he clogged them glorious

he was victorious

He clogged Jim Fryatt

And Barry Stobart

he sent them far away

To the infirmary

Happy days

Nobody has mentioned the Yard dogs yet, Milligan and Henry,shed loads of bottle the pair of them.Also,class a hard player by what he can take not dish out, Little lads Dennis Irwin and Mark Ward used to get kicked all over the park but carried on regardless!

The hardest in my sixty years was an 'hopeless player called Sandy Wann. He had thighs bigger than any other footballers chest. I remember arriving after half time at York with Oldham 1 goal up. (train had derailed). As I walked onto the ground the York winger took the ball past our fullback and went into a tackle with Wann. Both players had a foot either side of the ball. There was an explosive crack and a scream. With a perfectly legitimate tackle Wann had broken the wingers leg in two places. No subs in those days so after a very long stoppage York had to play with ten men and just tried to defend. Oldham happy with one nil just defended and it was the most boring half a game I have ever watched.

The hardest in my sixty years was an 'hopeless player called Sandy Wann. He had thighs bigger than any other footballers chest. I remember arriving after half time at York with Oldham 1 goal up. (train had derailed). As I walked onto the ground the York winger took the ball past our fullback and went into a tackle with Wann. Both players had a foot either side of the ball. There was an explosive crack and a scream. With a perfectly legitimate tackle Wann had broken the wingers leg in two places. No subs in those days so after a very long stoppage York had to play with ten men and just tried to defend. Oldham happy with one nil just defended and it was the most boring half a game I have ever watched.

The most boring half a game you ever watched eh?

You must've missed the entire Dave Penney era ha ha.