Hardest player

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No there was no problem with the tackle He only put boot to ball and no part of his anatomy touched the winger. He did not slide in just kicked the ball.with the side of his foot. The winger was just unfortunate to be at the other side of it and fully committed. Wann was not even running at the ball. In truth a man of his bulk did not run. Even today a referee could find no fault with that tackle. On the other hand virtually every other tackle in his career would have got him sent off today

Alan Lawson. Who remembers the song we sang to the tune of Scottish Soldier.

There was a half back

A scottish half back

And Lawson was his name

and clogging was his game

He came to Oldham

When Celtic sold him

he clogged them glorious

he was victorious

He clogged Jim Fryatt

And Barry Stobart

he sent them far away

To the infirmary

Happy days

I will never ever forget the clogging of Barry Stobart. A high ball they both went for and Lawson nutted the back of Stobart's head and you could hear it plainly from 40 yards away. Lawson rubbed his bonce and that was it but poor Barry was stretcher bound for the hospital. We were stood by the side of the tunnel when they stretchered him out and you feared for the lad he was gray coloured. Milnrow Blue, is that my old pal Bob ?

Edited by rictic

I remember Greame Sharp getting some grief off some centre half and as the ref wasn't very helpful , Sharpy just bided his time and when play switched suddenly to the other end he checked that the ref and linesmen were not looking he planted a punch on the defender and calmly walked away. took the fella a good 5 mins to get up . well hard .

In my time the afore mentioned Ronnie Blair Kenny Clements who used to get a battering but could give as much has he got ."disa " pointon was another but the hardest has to be big Shaun Greegan . Remember fatty windarse coming on for I think Bradford and his first challenge being a full on lunge at Shaun who just stuck out a knee and deflected him away calmy plaid the ball away then looked around at Dean lying in a crumpled heap like he had only just noticed him class !

When I first starting watching Latics I remember Ron Futcher being able to look after himself pretty well. I'm sure I remember him breaking someone's jaw in an off the ball incident.

His Wikipedia entry seems to back up my memory of him - "a gentleman off the pitch, he was a 'psychopath' on the field".

When I first starting watching Latics I remember Ron Futcher being able to look after himself pretty well. I'm sure I remember him breaking someone's jaw in an off the ball incident.

His Wikipedia entry seems to back up my memory of him - "a gentleman off the pitch, he was a 'psychopath' on the field".

I think the broken jaw incident was an away match at Blackburn. Latics were attacking and one of their defenders had a dig at Ron in their penalty area. Their player then ran away to the halfway line with Ron in hot pursuit. He caught up with him in the centre circle and flattened him with a right hander. I liked Ron.......

I think the broken jaw incident was an away match at Blackburn. Latics were attacking and one of their defenders had a dig at Ron in their penalty area. Their player then ran away to the halfway line with Ron in hot pursuit. He caught up with him in the centre circle and flattened him with a right hander. I liked Ron.......

Royle effectively sacked him after that; he was sent off twice in a week. It quite possibly cost us promotion that year.

Royle effectively sacked him after that; he was sent off twice in a week. It quite possibly cost us promotion that year.

Indeed he did and Big Joe took the time out to explain to me just why Ron had to go there were other incidents as well. I had to smile a few weeks later when Joe presented me with a personally signed photo of Ron in his Bradford City kit. Obviously there were no hard feelings between them.

Indeed he did and Big Joe took the time out to explain to me just why Ron had to go there were other incidents as well. I had to smile a few weeks later when Joe presented me with a personally signed photo of Ron in his Bradford City kit. Obviously there were no hard feelings between them.

Ron Futcher as well as being strong possessed silky skills a very underrrated player.

Ron Futcher as well as being strong possessed silky skills a very underrrated player.

very underrated, but didn't Joe once describe him as deceptively slow? and wasn't he the one who punctured John Platt's lung or some other internal organ when playing for Luton?

very underrated, but didn't Joe once describe him as deceptively slow? and wasn't he the one who punctured John Platt's lung or some other internal organ when playing for Luton?

He eventually lost a kidney, but don't know who was involved in the incident at Luton.