Lockwood again! & Other players who've had a huge, instant impact.....

John Sheridan (Massive impact when brought in from non league).

Alan Young (Scottish schoolboy, sent straight into the first team, sold on for a big fee at the time)

Andy Sweeney (George Best lookalike, burst on to the scene, unfortunately never fulfilled his undoubted ability).

John Collins ( 6 goals on his debut in a friendly, don't think he scored many after that).

Tony Foster, (Absolutely breath taking debut, never repeated and soon sent back home to Ireland).

Jim Beardall, (6 goals in his first 7 matches, transferred to non league Great Harwood shortly after).

Ian Wood (Probably due for a free transfer as a centre forward, but converted to full back, became a legend).

Maurice Whittle, (Converted to left back and never looked back, another legend).

David Best (High class keeper, that good we just couldn't hold onto him for long).

Ken Knighton (A powerhouse and another so good we couldn't keep him long).

I can sometimes work in reverse, David Shaw couldn't hit a barn door after he arrived, but I believe it was found he couldn't see far and was fitted with contact lenses - he then went on be a prolific goalscorer. (maybe an idea to have some of the current strikers eye tested). ^_^

Edited by BP1960

Andy gorams in his second spell made a spectacular impact

But in a similar mould to Lockwood although a far better player clint hills impact was fairly instant.

As was Fitz Hall's - sheer class on his debut despite throwing up due to the pace being so much higher than he was used to.

Murray was good from the off too if i remember rightly.

And Cristian Collusso... Very Baxter like, I'd never thought of this until now.

The majority will have no memory of Bobby Johnstone. He joined us during in the 1961-2 season when we were struggling in Division 4. The crowd on his debut was 17,166 from an average of around 4,000.

The atmosphere was electric and we stuffed Exeter City, (I think it was), 5-2.

Happy days and a true legend on the pitch.

Ryszard Kowenicki, imported from Poland and was in instant success, with his back flip long throw technique worthy these days of a slot on BGT.

Wayne Harrison, has a teenager ever made a bigger immediate impact ? sold for a reported £250,000 to Liverpool only for severe injuries to ruin a promising career.

Billy Johnson, Irish International at the time, brilliant debut, looked a top class player, unfortunately broke his ankle in his 6th match and never played again.

Andy Linighan, centre back, tall, commanding and superb in the air, went to to play at top level.

John Ryan, marauding wing back, took to the first team from the youths like a duck to water, sold to Newcastle United for £235,000 in 1984.

Nicky Sinclair, plucked from amatuer football, very classy wing back, but another to have a great career ahead of him cut short by injuries.

Ryan Sugden, scored a goal on his debut which sent Blackpool down, sadly didn't progress from there.

Chris Taylor, ran Nottingham Forest ran ragged on his debut, one who did progress to a higher level.

Neal Trotman, so commanding in his early games he was sold to PNE for £500,000, but never fulfilled the early promise.

Paul Warhurst, the classiest player I have ever seen at the club, played equally well in a variety of positions, I think he even played and shone as a goalkeeper once.

Simon Stainrod, wonderful footballer, superb ball control, scored some spectacular goals, I was sad to see him go.

Alan Groves, a true Latics legend, he mesmerized defenders galore from day one, I always looked forward to going to Boundary Park just to see him play.

Lewis Alessandra, looked to have it all in his early games, where did it all go wrong?

Edited by BP1960

The late Kevin Moore CB signed from Grimsby in 87 was absolutely awesome during his short spell and transferred to Southampton after only 13 games......remember being totally gutted at the time.

Edited by oafc1955

Ryszard Kowenicki, imported from Poland and was in instant success, with his back flip long throw technique worthy these days of a slot on BGT.

Wayne Harrison, has a teenager ever made a bigger immediate impact ? sold for a reported £250,000 to Liverpool only for severe injuries to ruin a promising career.

Billy Johnson, Irish International at the time, brilliant debut, looked a top class player, unfortunately broke his ankle in his 6th match and never played again.

Andy Linighan, centre back, tall, commanding and superb in the air, went to to play at top level.

John Ryan, marauding wing back, took to the first team from the youths like a duck to water, sold to Newcastle United for £235,000 in 1984.

Nicky Sinclair, plucked from amatuer football, very classy wing back, but another to have a great career ahead of him cut short by injuries.

Ryan Sugden, scored a goal on his debut which sent Blackpool down, sadly didn't progress from there.

Chris Taylor, ran Nottingham Forest ran ragged on his debut, one who did progress to a higher level.

Neal Trotman, so commanding in his early games he was sold to PNE for £500,000, but never fulfilled the early promise.

Paul Warhurst, the classiest player I have ever seen at the club, played equally well in a variety of positions, I think he even played and shone as a goalkeeper once.

Simon Stainrod, wonderful footballer, superb ball control, scored some spectacular goals, I was sad to see him go.

Alan Groves, a true Latics legend, he mesmerized defenders galore from day one, I always looked forward to going to Boundary Park just to see him play.

Lewis Alessandra, looked to have it all in his early games, where did it all go wrong?

25 in 80 for Allessandra at Plymouth now. Not bad.

"Lewis Alessandra, looked to have it all in his early games, where did it all go wrong?"

When he started falling on his arse for no reason whatsoever.

Edited by rictic