new latics player service

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just logged on to the new Latics player and todays match commentary is there if you want to listen.

Dont think I'll bother for this one, but anybody know if match commentaries will be available post match when the season starts or is this just a glitch?

Just logged on to the new Latics player and todays match commentary is there if you want to listen.

Dont think I'll bother for this one, but anybody know if match commentaries will be available post match when the season starts or is this just a glitch?

The commentary still wasn't as loud as it should be. Interview afterwards and the game on utube very jerky for me. I know the game was poor, but Gordon needs to change something because he sends me to sleep.

I think the new service is an improvement . we never had commentary for friendlies before or footage of goals / play . Gordons interview technique is boring , how did you first hear about the move , what will you bring to the party . standard footballers answers , through my agent and hard work and hopefully some goals .ho ho ho.

the older guy on commentary is a legend around the club but he needs to make way for a younger more dynamic voice , sorry old guy but its time .

the club is on the verge of a new more up to date image and should not hold onto old fashioned values ,move on

but I am pleased with what I have seen of new player system and hope more people subscribe , bring it on .

I think the new service is an improvement . we never had commentary for friendlies before or footage of goals / play . Gordons interview technique is boring , how did you first hear about the move , what will you bring to the party . standard footballers answers , through my agent and hard work and hopefully some goals .ho ho ho.

the older guy on commentary is a legend around the club but he needs to make way for a younger more dynamic voice , sorry old guy but its time .

the club is on the verge of a new more up to date image and should not hold onto old fashioned values ,move on

but I am pleased with what I have seen of new player system and hope more people subscribe , bring it on .

Gordon is not there to ask the tough questions, although his technique when asking the foreign players could do with a bit of work. Gordon does a job at the club, probably for not a lot of pay, and some very long hours on occasion.

Roy is similar, he will travel to the back of beyond to commentate on games, in all weathers, he won't get paid a lot, but he does what is asked of him, and presumably more.

I quite like the "unpolished" aspect of their commentary, so what if they are a bit set in their ways and old-fashioned I bet there a lot of similar people at other clubs, there is a reason for that...

I think the new service is an improvement . we never had commentary for friendlies before

I'm pretty sure "Player" had commentary on all of last season's friendlies and leave Roy alone, he's a one off commentators assistant (but never ask him to do an interview).

When I first signed up to LP, I thought a similar thing. That the commentary wasn't up to scratch, because I was comparing it to radio or TV style commentary.

After 3 or so months, I was totally the other way. When LP was down and we had to listen to the opposition feed from some radio station, I just wanted our boys back.

All these years later now (over 5 years at least), I really wouldn't change Gord, Roy and Mike. They, and the owtb chat regulars, make my Saturdays.

Also, I may be wrong but I think only Gord gets paid. Mike and Roy do it for free.

When I first signed up to LP, I thought a similar thing. That the commentary wasn't up to scratch, because I was comparing it to radio or TV style commentary.

After 3 or so months, I was totally the other way. When LP was down and we had to listen to the opposition feed from some radio station, I just wanted our boys back.

All these years later now (over 5 years at least), I really wouldn't change Gord, Roy and Mike. They, and the owtb chat regulars, make my Saturdays.

Also, I may be wrong but I think only Gord gets paid. Mike and Roy do it for free.

I totally agree with this. I'm normally the first to get wound up by bad commentry (Jonathan Pierce) but there's something very welcoming and familiar about our team. They are a long standing part of the club and give me a sense of connection when listening. I wouldn't want to change Gordon's 10, 20, 30 yards for some slick cliché-riddled media trained youngster.

Have we any Gordon/Roy gems from over the years?

like;

Roy " I know I'm a bit biased, but that was never a penalty".

The penalty that wasn't given moments before Gary Mac's winner at Scunthorpe "He nearly punched the laces out of the ball."

Roy swearing at a Peterborough fan who collared him in their 5-2 win against us the other season was another highlight.

I personally wouldn't change them, they are unique and their passion for Oldham shines through.

Edited by dec666

I am not having a go at Roy or Gordon as people and I acknowledged that Roy is a legend at the club I was just pointing out that this is a time of change and momentum with a new image and new dynamic for the club . I knew some of you would say you liked Roy and Gordon but I was just giving my viewpoint , I find them dull and sometimes listen to opposition commentary which is generally younger and more upbeat . also note that other clubs use the opportunity to promote goods/services and do it in a more professional manner .

you gotta move with the times sometimes and thank those such as Roy for their service , we don't have to be nasty about it .

Roy gets on my wick at times with 'hospickle', 'this ref is a real homer' and many other Royisms that escape me now but it wouldn't be the same without him. The best part of the LaticsPlayer service though has to be a good old Gordon "It's THURRRRRR" when we score. If ever a sound means a goal for Latics it is that and the joy in his voice when we are playing well and winning against the odds away from home is worth the money.

I'm generally at the home games unless I'm ill so not had much chance to hear Mike but he too is enthusiastic. Dare I say it but now that is it is round the corner just thinking back over the years of listening to the Latics commentary I'm almost looking forward to the season starting now.

For me Gordon and Mike are essnetial lsitening. Roy I waver with. His passion for Latics, though, is unquestioned.

Roy's "interviews" with Stuart Pike and the other commontator around that time were low points. Especially given their estemed status, they did well to keep the interview going.

For me Gordon and Mike are essnetial lsitening. Roy I waver with. His passion for Latics, though, is unquestioned.

Roy's "interviews" with Stuart Pike and the other commontator around that time were low points. Especially given their estemed status, they did well to keep the interview going.

Yeah i like Gordon and Mike, but sorry cant stand Roy, he offers absolutlely nothing to the commentry.

I wasn't knocking Gordon in my earlier post. It's just sometimes he seems to drone on when the game is poor, which I suppose isn't surprising. Occasionally I have switched to the opposition's commentary and they haven't a clue who our payers are. There idea of commentating is 'The Oldham defender' or The Oldham player'. Gordon makes it his business to know the opposition players.