Channel 5 Football League Show

I never thought it possible to screw up a football programme, but Channel 5 have managed it. Once I'd seen Latics, that was it for me; I just had to turn it off. Amateur presenters who looked out of their depth, the cuts from one presenter to another were abysmal, comical League tables that a 9 year old has designed, rent-a-crowd (a very small one) as an embarrassed looking "audience" and no continuity.

Auntie Beeb weren't 100% by any means, but I'd have even welcomed Claridge the Clown back after 10 minutes. It will be FL72 on Sky for me in future, having seen their offering earlier today.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought it possible to screw up a football programme, but Channel 5 have managed it. Once I'd seen Latics, that was it for me; I just had to turn it off. Amateur presenters who looked out of their depth, the cuts from one presenter to another were abysmal, comical League tables that a 9 year old has designed, rent-a-crowd (a very small one) as an embarrassed looking "audience" and no continuity.

Auntie Beeb weren't 100% by any means, but I'd have even welcomed Claridge the Clown back after 10 minutes. It will be FL72 on Sky for me in future, having seen their offering earlier today.

The goals were on Sky Sports from 6pm.

Edited by BP1960

I don't get the negativity towards it, its not like we used to get more than about 20 seconds coverage on the Football League Show. Highlights are readily available within 24hours for most games now.

For me the most important aspect of the Channel 5 coverage is the better TV deal offered to the lower league clubs, JPT and League Cup highlights will also be shown.

The format does need work but that will come with time.

I don't get the negativity towards it, its not like we used to get more than about 20 seconds coverage on the Football League Show. Highlights are readily available within 24hours for most games now.

For me the most important aspect of the Channel 5 coverage is the better TV deal offered to the lower league clubs, JPT and League Cup highlights will also be shown.

The format does need work but that will come with time.

I think some disappointment comes from having hoped we'd get better coverage than on the BBC, as the football league is now 5's flagship (only) football show. Unfortunately it's the same format with added audience nonsense and adverts.

Not seen it, but I have read some of the reaction on here and the press.

They obviously wanted to do something 'different' to the tried and tested approach of all the previous Football League highlight shows - and I cannot fault them for that. You have to hope though, a bit like the BBC with Today at Wimbledon, that they can learn and adapt to make it more watchable.

Will give it a go this week and see what I make of it.

• 5 months later...

From today 'Football League Tonight' is now split into two programmes: 9:00pm - 10:00pm The Championship and 10:00pm - 10:30pm Goal Rush (Leagues One & Two), repeated tomorrow at 10:30am and 11:30am respectively.

so they have seen that the viewing figures drop off after the end of the championship coverage and have hived it into a different programme to sell it to advertisers as a "premium " brand