Manager Phone in on Radio Manchester: Monday 6pm

Serious question - what does Barry Owen bring to the board as a director?

I suspect it isn't financial investment so I'm seriously scratching my head. Alan Hardy he isn't. Gee is the commercial head, we have a new Trust representative...so what is his role?!

His approach is always with contempt to those asking questions...either that or he genuinely doesn't know and is continually kept in the dark by the rest of the board.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could we sustain ourselves in the championship with our paltry gates. He's just being realistic. If he said ye we'd have to money to stay up in championship people would moan about why we aren't spending the money now. Although, not taking anything away from the fact I do think he's a bit of a penis

Barry did indicate the directors felt the same as the fans after the Shrewsbury game and relayed this to the manager.

The manager said the expansive play worked in training, but not during the match, he basically put this down to the dominant Shrewsbury centre backs foiling the plans.

These are the two centre backs who looked ponderous when beaten by Chesterfield the previous game.

Basically we could do a Yeovil Town.

But, believe it or not, our finances & infrastructure are far, far stronger than Yeovil's were when they went up.

We might come straight back down too but we'd have more chance of immediately consolidating or even have another crack at promotion than a Yeovil would...

Serious question - what does Barry Owen bring to the board as a director?

I suspect it isn't financial investment so I'm seriously scratching my head. Alan Hardy he isn't. Gee is the commercial head, we have a new Trust representative...so what is his role?!

His approach is always with contempt to those asking questions...either that or he genuinely doesn't know and is continually kept in the dark by the rest of the board.

I'm sure he does a lot of valuable administrative work & deals with a lot of :censored:.

And he works for free (at least he used to).

But, this is another false economy - paying somebody £30k or £50k to do his job a lot better than he does would probably make or save far more than that £30k or £50k....

I dont think anyone thinks we wouldnt be a small fish in a big pond in the championship... its the defeatist attitude towards it.

We could do a Yeovil, but then again who's to say we wouldn't get a new owner and become a Bournemouth?

But, believe it or not, our finances & infrastructure are far, far stronger than Yeovil's were when they went up.

We might come straight back down too but we'd have more chance of immediately consolidating or even have another crack at promotion than a Yeovil would...

I agree with with that Harry, we didn't have much money in the old second division days.

Honestly! Disgusted! Barry Owen represent the fans. I have never known an organisation, club, etc etc have someone on board who treats us with such contempt and isn't even prepared to answer straight forward questions. I haven't got a ticket for the North Stand or the 100 club due to shift work but I'd be banging on the door asking for an explanation if I had. DONT BIT THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU. They never learn!!!

I used to think Barry Owen was unfairly criticised by a load of bandwagon jumpers. I'm well on the bandwagon now.

It's almost as if he intentionally tries to distance fans from the club and make it 'his baby'. The sooner we're bought out and he :censored:s off, the better.

Kelly's not inspiring any kind of confidence but he does seem genuinely happy with what he's got and that they'll come good.

Edited by longtimeblue

He was talking about the premier league

He wasn't he was asked a question by the host about oldham fans expectations, the host said if bury or dale were to reach the chanpionship it would be seen as a massive thing and if we were to go up a section of our fan base would say "so what we used to be in the prem" ( personally I think thats a farcical claim but I agree that most oldham fans see oafc as a bigger club than bury or dale)

Barry went on to echo those comments by the host and then said that championship wages are extortionate these days and that "oldham, bury or rochdale wouldnt be able to sustain the expenditure of life in the championship"

We are all aware that if we went up we would be a small fish in a big pond and we would have to fight to earn our place in the league, Barrys comments just strike me as defeatist and I sincerely hope that the rest of board don't share that mentality.

Barry doesn't seem to acknowledge that it is Oldham's OWN fault that the club is no longer capable of competing.

He had to THINK about whether he'd like us to get promoted. I couldn't believe my ears.

He is a symptom of the reason this club has been on the wane for years. No ambition on behalf of the whole board. Once the stand has gone up I hope they find somebody new who wants to take it forwards, because it is going nowhere under Owen, Corney and co.

Barry doesn't seem to acknowledge that it is Oldham's OWN fault that the club is no longer capable of competing.

He had to THINK about whether he'd like us to get promoted. I couldn't believe my ears.

He is a symptom of the reason this club has been on the wane for years. No ambition on behalf of the whole board. Once the stand has gone up I hope they find somebody new who wants to take it forwards, because it is going nowhere under Owen, Corney and co.

I have a feeling this is what SC is waiting for, he struck a forlorn figure in the directors box on Saturday.