Manager Phone in on Radio Manchester: Monday 6pm

He wasn't he was asked a question by the host about oldham fans expectations, the host said if bury or dale were to reach the chanpionship it would be seen as a massive thing and if we were to go up a section of our fan base would say "so what we used to be in the prem" ( personally I think thats a farcical claim but I agree that most oldham fans see oafc as a bigger club than bury or dale)

I'd forgotten about that bit - I'm about as "elitist" as an Oldham fan can get in that respect but I'd be giddy as :censored:....

What a load of poorly thought out BBC bollocks...

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry doesn't seem to acknowledge that it is Oldham's OWN fault that the club is no longer capable of competing.

He had to THINK about whether he'd like us to get promoted. I couldn't believe my ears.

He is a symptom of the reason this club has been on the wane for years. No ambition on behalf of the whole board. Once the stand has gone up I hope they find somebody new who wants to take it forwards, because it is going nowhere under Owen, Corney and co.

Problem is that the club is worthless without ownership of the stadium/surrounding land etc.

If the aim of the board is to not bother trying to improve and get out of the division... why should I bother?

Yep.

I think Corney needs to come out and clarify whether or not the club is actually trying to win promotion or not.

Especially with this revelation coming on the back of last seasons throwing in of the towel after LJ went.

It's too late for me as I've already paid for my season ticket but I paid for two kids to come on Saturday and will be doing so again against Bradford.

I'd rather save the time, money & effort if the powers that be don't want us to win the game as much as I do...

I'd forgotten about that bit - I'm about as "elitist" as an Oldham fan can get in that respect but I'd be giddy as :censored:....

What a load of poorly thought out BBC bollocks...

We are on the same boat fella it's just a shame the captains best mate appears far too happy drop the anchor.

Especially with this revelation coming on the back of last seasons throwing in of the towel after LJ went.

I banged this drum constantly when Holden was placed in charge.

The club didn't want to go up. It's quite obvious now Barry has been honest about it. They just weren't arsed.

Feel utterly robbed I attended any game after Johnson left.

On what deyres says above, without knowing the slightest about business ownership, I was worried Corney would continue onwards when the new stand is running to recoup his money, but with a shadowy, even more detached and distanced capacity. It's time to go but can we get rid of him?

Also, bear in mind that this was Barry's only real slip up during the hour.

Consider there's probably worse stuff he managed to keep schtum about......

:censored:ing hell...

He almost confirmed Sav The Beast's suggestion that payment needs to be made to the leckie board before they will connect.

He might as well have said that Dazzler isn't too involved with transfer matters.

Fair play to them for fielding the questions.

Barry and Darren are far from loquacious fellows -but on the other hand it's Piccadilly Radio Football Hour, not a Reith lecture!

I can't judge the one because I genuinely don't know what his input to the club is, the other will be judged on results when he's been in charge long enough for a worthwhile opinion to be formed.

Couldn't believe someone rang up with the old F.C. United chestnut about their (tiny) ground being built quicker than the stand. Sad really.

I also thought his comments about Championship sustainability were spot-on. He's just telling the truth and lack of ambition doesn't come into it - the new stand shows that.

In DK's defence as poorly as he came across tongiht I like the fact he seems to play a straight bat and doesn't try to be clever or smooth talk us like LJ would have...

I don't think worse of him as of tonight.

He's admitted he's experimenting and it's not quite working at the moment. He sounds like he does genuinely care about the style with which we play and is still trying to improve that. He doesn't sound totally in control of all elements we would usually associate with a manager.

I will be concerned if we don't see an improvement on the pitch.

Being partnered with Barry isn't going to be easy for anybody.

Problem is that the club is worthless without ownership of the stadium/surrounding land etc.

This is the major problem for an investor, who in their right mind is going to fund a football team out of their own pocket, without actually owning anything or having access to revenue streams.

Its a bit like asking someone to stock my bakery at their own expense without a return, while I cream off the profits.

Blackpool got lucky with Valeri Belokon its unlilely theres another mug prepared to lose millions out there.

I've been a fan of Oldham Athletic since 1989, back when Joe Royle was the manager and I thought that Darren and Barry did a good job tonight. There were a lot of phone-in coaches tonight, Darren did explain how things were done on Saturday, why players played where they did and he offered reasons to why Forte was played upfront on his own. Pace and Power. We're trying to get a striker in and it's obvious losing Cassidy (he's injured) has been a big blow to the system Darren wants to play. I agree Forte is good out wide but he did very well upfront as well last season, his headed goal last season I forget who it was against shows we could do with him in the middle rather than out wide.

Barry went out of his way many times tonight to thank the fans for their support, it would be difficult to sustain ourselves in the Championship, it's probably the same as the Old Division 1/Premier League was when we were there before. Top teams spending millions on players and we won't even get close to breaking our transfer record. Doesn't mean we can't give it a go like we did. I don't think he criticised the fans once tonight so he's learning.

Its obvious now why Dowie or any other manager with any authority wasn't wanted at the club, Barry wants to pick the team!

Dowie gets paid about 5 times as much for a job that involves him watching football matches and saying "unbelievable Jeff" it's abit tougher trying to get our club to break a habit of 18 years of league 1 football.