Joel Coleman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, you don't remember correctly. He came on against Carlisle after David Knight got sent off. We drew 0-0...

I knew someone got sent off, and I remember the score because I was in the box that day and my girlfriend at the time suggested I change my "no score draw" bet to a 1-1 as she "couldn't see us not scoring".... No, she hadn't seen much of Latics at that point :petesake:

Didn't Chris Grange show a lot of promise and was destined for the first team before a career ending injury?

Yeah I know Chris and he was very highly rated before a bad injury ended it but he was nowhere near the first team when that happened.

From Boro fan when he arrived. When he left Latics started going to Old Trafford and now a season tkt holder at City.

Despite the obvious problems with the teams he follows he is a good lad.

He is the one player in the squad at the moment who could potentially go for good money down the line.

J Wilson, Jones and Kelly could all command decent fees its a shame the first two are out of contract in June.

Mills, Dieng and Cassidy also have the potential to play at an higher level.

Judging by the pre-match warm ups, he always looked like he'd make a better outfield player than goalkeeper.

Cost us the play off game against QPR as well.

Not having that, our inability to score goals cost us those playoff matches

Edit: And back to Joel Coleman, I think he has the potential to carve out a career at the top level. Keepers dont normally get good until they are 34 so he has got a few years to improve his little inconsitencies.

Edited by youngen

Yeah I know Chris and he was very highly rated before a bad injury ended it but he was nowhere near the first team when that happened.

From Boro fan when he arrived. When he left Latics started going to Old Trafford and now a season tkt holder at City.

Despite the obvious problems with the teams he follows he is a good lad.

Had to stop playing football totally didn't he? Training injury?

As for Coleman, yes he's been good and it's good to know you can rely on a youth every now and then / but the scouts are simply watching because he's a youth playing consistently at league level they happen to watch any youth that manages this scope - or most anyway.

No doubt he'll have impressed a few by now though.

• 2 weeks later...

When's his contract run out?

Need to get him extended really, bit hit and miss with coming out at times but he's 19 if if he carries on starting for us he'll only attract interest and if he's signed up to a decent deal length wise we could get some decent £££.

End of the season but we'd get training compensation anyway due to his age.

I think he proved on Saturday that he's some way of being a super star.

He was awful for both goals.

You're mixing a few things up here. He made an incorrect decision for the first goal and it was punished. Later in the game he seemed reluctant to come for anything that wasn't just a few paces off his line.

The annoying thing is minutes before the goal I remarked that it was such a refreshing change to see a keeper a Latics actually willing to come for balls towards the edge of the box. And then the next time he did it it didn't work out and he decided to stick to the safety first percentages route that many keepers do leading to the defence having to play deeper....

As for Coleman and this goes for any young player, they make mistakes but it is how they respond to those mistakes. No one is a superstar performer at 18,19,20, they have potential, the superstar performers fully blossom a bit later when they combine their natural ability, their learned ability and their experience. At the moment Coleman has bags of natural ability and I look forward to seeing him applying this along with benefiting from his coaching and experience.

He will not be at Latics for too long, I would be surprised if he leaves due to being released by the club, more likely that he is snapped up by a club not wishing to risk him choosing another club and signing on a bosman elsewhere.