FACUP R1: Mansfield Town 0 Oldham Athletic 0

I agree I know a couple of lads who are on £200 a week retainers plus appearance money, its still a world away from our pros though who dont have to worry about working shifts, training two or three nights a week before or after work and still travelling the same amount of miles to play at weekends without the luxury of overnight stays.

It is a world away, but I feel it is an easy stick to beat a professional athlete with - the idea that your opponent is in it for purely altruistic reasons.

Most lads playing at that level are either not good enough, or more frequently, not mentally strong enough to cope with the pressures of playing for your career. There are of course the exceptions (such as Danien Reeves by all accounts) who make a financial decision to stay at that level.

The commitment required to play at a good level of non-league football is massive.... but the character required to play at a level where you are constantly judged is huge.

I have not played with or against an ex-pro who has not impressed me - and on those occasions the level of the step up has been clear to see.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a world away, but I feel it is an easy stick to beat a professional athlete with - the idea that your opponent is in it for purely altruistic reasons.

Most lads playing at that level are either not good enough, or more frequently, not mentally strong enough to cope with the pressures of playing for your career. There are of course the exceptions (such as Danien Reeves by all accounts) who make a financial decision to stay at that level.

The commitment required to play at a good level of non-league football is massive.... but the character required to play at a level where you are constantly judged is huge.

I have not played with or against an ex-pro who has not impressed me - and on those occasions the level of the step up has been clear to see.

Fair comment, you have obviously played at an higher level than I ever have but your points make sense, it annoys when a paid pro doesn't have desire though it should be a minimum requirement for anyone with any pride in what they do.

Time and again that's been proved right paddy Plymouth, Luton, Southend, Colchester, Bristol City, Hull, Watford.... Etc....

The only decent footballing sides that cracked it were Crewe and Swansea...

Bit harsh on Southampton that Prozac. Far and away the best team I have seen in this division in the last 19 seasons.

I would strongly suggest that lads playing at Salford City (and most other sides at that level) are playing for much more than the love of the game. £200 a game (give or take) on top of a decent job is serious money.

I would strongly suggest (asin I know for a fact) that 'most sides at that level' are not paying their players £200 a game.

:censored:inell.

A team in division 7 with a wage bill of approaching £halfamillion per season????

No chance.

He was really poor last weekend.

Fair enough, he's only human. But he's so crucial to everything we do in defence and attack. And there's no direct replacement when he's missing. It always seems to mean a change of formation and tactics.

I would strongly suggest (asin I know for a fact) that 'most sides at that level' are not paying their players £200 a game.

A team in division 7 with a wage bill of approaching £halfamillion per season????

No chance.

It will be a very mixed bag.

By 'that level' I am talking about those clubs at the business end of the division. I know that at Worksop Town two seasons ago they were paying comfortably above that and subsequently paid the price when their owner pulled out.

FC United and Fylde were in the division at that time and I know they too would have paying at that level and beyond.

I have no idea how Ashton United manage to stay at the business end of the division given the lack of interest. Worksop can attract gates close to 1000 for the biggest games and are still getting 400+ at North East Counties level.

Whilst I take the point that there are teams - and there will certainly be players within even the top sides - who are paying less, those at the top end will be pushing the boat out I am sure.

Edited by whitey1980

Okay call me a liar, the fact I know players who play locally around levels 6 and 7 means I do have an insight to what they are paid and you would be suprised.

I do not know what the semi pro footballers get but I do know what the likes of the cricket pros at Werneth Royton etc get paid for playing in front of crowds of 20. I will be amazed therefore if Salford City players are not getting far more than £200 a game.......to get an unknown not very good deputy pro in the CLL costs minimum £250 a game

Need a goal from Bradford or Oxford for a TV appearance for the replay...

And for Chesham to hold on (what a result that would be!)

To be honest I think we stand a good chance anyway, when it's the higher division teams at home in all the replays they usually go for the highest placed teams for their replay. Plus Dunn should have some media pulling power.

And for Chesham to hold on (what a result that would be!)

To be honest I think we stand a good chance anyway, when it's the higher division teams at home in all the replays they usually go for the highest placed teams for their replay. Plus Dunn should have some media pulling power.

Be Bradford with that logic then.

Ok so eleven players times £200??

That means they need to get 200 thru the gate at £10 a pop just to cover the wage bill.

Quite simply isnt true.

We all know semi pro players, they lie.

That would be £200 short of covering wage bill actually!".......

Ok so eleven players times £200??

That means they need to get 200 thru the gate at £10 a pop just to cover the wage bill.

Quite simply isnt true.

We all know semi pro players, they lie.

There are local league cricket pros on 17k a season who play infront of 20 people. To think these lads Salford have aren't on very good money is daft. One lads a full Ireland international. We offered that dutch lad 250 a week, we'll have lads on less than Salford, that's a fact.

If the replay is to be the third ramp-up event, I reckon they'll have to close the Main stand and RRE and put everyone in the North Stand to test it towards getting the safety certificate.

You would still struggle if you give tickets away the football is that dire, I won't pay again.

I won't be going.

(Unless we play really, really well at Chesterfield)