FACUP R1: Mansfield Town 0 Oldham Athletic 0

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn’t a complete waste of my time watching Latics yesterday, because I discovered that Field Mill, Mansfield, in use since 1861, is the oldest professional football ground in the world.

22232027453_af32e78544_z.jpg

There'll be no complaints about the rain getting into that stand

There are local league cricket pros on 17k a season who play infront of 20 people. To think these lads Salford have aren't on very good money is daft. One lads a full Ireland international. We offered that dutch lad 250 a week, we'll have lads on less than Salford, that's a fact.

Youre talking about salford.

I'm talking about 'most non league' Football clubs. Hopefully you can see the futility of your comparison.

None league clubs do not 'pay their players £200'.

Salford nicked "Star Striker" Gareth Seddon from a few divisions up and are paying him £600 per week. THat was reported, not forum speculation.

That was the budget for most teams in the league they were in last season. Fair enough, he repaid them with crucial goals, you get what you pay for.

Add in Danny Webber, as an ex pro, who realisitcally will be on more.

Romance of the Cup, my arse.

Edited by singe

Exactly.

'Non league players get paid £200' is the most stupid thing Ive ever read anywhere.[/quote

Difficult discussion this as non league covers Tranmere Rovers thro to Haggate Lads. £200 a week is £10, 400 per annum.....not even reaching the tax threshold! The full time pros at Conference Clubs are getting paid nearer 3 times that....whereas Haggate Lads will pay subs to cover referee fees!

The grey areas are the likes of Whitewark and Salford City vis a vis the likes of Ramsbotton United at the same level. It seems perfectly reasonable to assume that the rich investors at the former 2 are prepared to pay well above the £200 figure whereas Ramsbottom United will certainly not have the resources to coverm £ 250,000 wage bill.....in which case everybody on here has some basis for saying they are right?

I went to Didcot v Exeter yesterday. Part of history I was in that they had their record attendance. Cramped pitch, two small creaky old stands, the rest of us simply standing around the perimeter three or four deep. the Didcot players worked hard but eventually tired and Exeter had the better players. You could hear every word that was being said on the pitch - the Exeter keeper being particularly vocal.

Romance of the cup? I should say so - would I want Oldham to be drawn away at one of the remaining non league clubs? No chance.

Great day out though and at one point they ran out of plastic glasses so I had to drink out of a glass receptacle...amateurs.

Exactly.

'Non league players get paid £200' is the most stupid thing Ive ever read anywhere.[/quote

Difficult discussion this as non league covers Tranmere Rovers thro to Haggate Lads. £200 a week is £10, 400 per annum.....not even reaching the tax threshold! The full time pros at Conference Clubs are getting paid nearer 3 times that....whereas Haggate Lads will pay subs to cover referee fees!

The grey areas are the likes of Whitewark and Salford City vis a vis the likes of Ramsbotton United at the same level. It seems perfectly reasonable to assume that the rich investors at the former 2 are prepared to pay well above the £200 figure whereas Ramsbottom United will certainly not have the resources to coverm £ 250,000 wage bill.....in which case everybody on here has some basis for saying they are right?

Not really.

SOME clubs will pay SOME of their players £200. Im talking about the other 99% of non league clubs.

I have a mate who has only missed two games for FC this season, he gets £50 appearance fee. He was Captain at his previous club one level below FC, he got £80 appearance fee and was the highest paid player.

ame="Magister" post="813048" timestamp="1447060636"]

Not really.

SOME clubs will pay SOME of their players £200. Im talking about the other 99% of non league clubs.

I have a mate who has only missed two games for FC this season, he gets £50 appearance fee. He was Captain at his previous club one level below FC, he got £80 appearance fee and was the highest paid player.

But as you say earlier, non league footballers tell lies:)

Salford nicked "Star Striker" Gareth Seddon from a few divisions up and are paying him £600 per week. THat was reported, not forum speculation.

That was the budget for most teams in the league they were in last season. Fair enough, he repaid them with crucial goals, you get what you pay for.

Add in Danny Webber, as an ex pro, who realisitcally will be on more.

Romance of the Cup, my arse.

The romance is that most are part time and like the full back have worked nights before a game. In the pro game many get thousands a week and you cant tell me that's 'earned'.

Edited by BP1960

Matt Chambers @Matt_Chambers_ Nov 7

Few boos towards the #oafc players from the fans in the away stand.

The Chron:

David Dunn says he could not really blame Athletic’s supporters for booing the team off the pitch at Mansfield, admitting he wouldn’t have been happy with the action level on show in a drab draw.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/95090/we-will-get-it-right-dunn

ame="Magister" post="813048" timestamp="1447060636"]

Not really.

Really? He is getting a very raw deal and must be well ahead of schedule for them. He certainly won't be on contract.

I have clarified that I was talking about the top end of the division - and as I also suggested, the likes of Worksop were paying players to come up from London to play on a good deal more than £200 per game 2 seasons ago. Their top earner Leon Mettam was closer to £450 with goal bonuses. The likes of Fylde and FC United were in the division at that time.

A club like Barwell in mid table have long been paying top players in three figures even when they were at Midland Alliance level. I would imagine that for them to rise above the likes of Quorn, Coalville, Oadby and Shepshed in that area, finance is involved. They have a young lad Brady Hickey on contract who they picked up from St Andrews (Bottom rung of the pyramid) who they are hoping to cash in on at present. I know Birmingham watched him last weekend.

However you are right that players certainly do lie about how much they are on - and you are right to suggest that only a few clubs at that level will be paying those figures suggested.

It is also true that outside of an occasional club there might only be a couple of players on that money.

It also interests me the lack of non-league structure in this area. In Leicestershire the County FA's top division offers the opportunity to get into the pyramid if your ground allows. Consequently there are ambitious clubs from a very junior level who can progress with the right infrastructure should ability allow.... Or the ability to buý players in!!

Consequently their local league football is relatively awash with cash, and a club at say Springhead's level would have lights and a significantly better playing surface. Conversely there is no money in their local league cricket bar a couple of clubs at all!!

Edited by whitey1980