Where does now rank amongst the worst times to have supported OAFC?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say this with a heavy heart but I'm going to be truthful no matter if I get pelters...

First game late 60s, regular for 35 years and season tcket for 28ish.

I'm so, so bored it's untrue. When I look on the calender and I see its a home game on Saturday it's an "oh no" moment.

I dont know wether its Latics or me or a mix of both? I just simply dont enjoy the game.

I've no idea who the team or for that matter half of the players are from week to week. I rely on the bloke next to me to tell me who the latest loan signing is.

Away games are more fun but that may be the beer as I drive and dont drink for home games.

Been to Bury, Fleetwood and Morecambe (non Latics agmes) and enjoyed it a lot more.

I'd love to see a side of permanant players, even youngsters, who give it a right go...even if it means a struggle.

Definately my last season as a season ticket holder.

Pretty much where I'm at it's like a relationship where you know it he end is inevitable except the line is "it's not me, it's you...."

Is it just OAFC or is it football in general?

Are years of teaching kids this tippy tappy bollocks coming home to roost?

Is it going to get worse?

I want to see goals, skill, wing play, defence splitting passes, crunching tackles, driving forward runs from midfielders with the ball, late runs from midfielders without the ball, mazy runs from wherever, Gregan/Jobson/Barret-esque defending, game changing tactical decisions....

Instead we get 11 automotons making short passes to each other (and often missing) without one iota of desire to do something magical between them directed (or not) from the dugout by a succession of ex players who just want to grind 3 to 6 more years out of the game at all costs....

Managers or players won't dare to try something good for fear of doing something wrong..

Wellens, Baxter, Harkins, Tarkowski, Winchester (to a lesser extent) had/have a bit of what I want to see about them but it seems they're a dying breed....

It's utterly :censored:ing depressing...

Edited by HarryBosch

Definately my last season as a season ticket holder.

Definitely is a big word. Never say never .

Nobody would have foreseen the Royle years - further back the rebirth from bottom of the 92 clubs, almost bankrupt , because of Bobby Johnstone and Jack Rowley was not foreseen .

Wishful thinking now? Maybe but hope over expectation is what lifelong football support is about.

Definitely is a big word. Never say never .

Nobody would have foreseen the Royle years - further back the rebirth from bottom of the 92 clubs, almost bankrupt , because of Bobby Johnstone and Jack Rowley was not foreseen .

Wishful thinking now? Maybe but hope over expectation is what lifelong football support is about.

Correct Pete, I'm putting my faith in Rasulo capturing the imagination again with some spectacular goals.

Objectively yes I think so. 8 away games unbeaten is competent . 4 defeats in 16 is competent ...... Having said that it is tortuous to watch and I think what I am saying is that the whole is significantly less than the sum of its parts should be?

If we'd won just 4 of the drawn games we'd be on 24 points now pushing for a playoff spot and the mood amongst fans would be so much better,however, how many of the drawn games did we realistically deserve to have won....perhaps at Walsall where we were the better team for the final hour and possibly at Gillingham where we played extremely well throughout.

On the flip side we were very lucky to win at manager less Swindon after their late equaliser and in our win against Fleetwood should have been 4 down in 15 minutes so actually our situation could be even worse!!

In 50 odd years supporting Latics I can't remember winning so few games even during the bad times!!

I want to see goals, skill, wing play, defence splitting passes, crunching tackles, driving forward runs from midfielders with the ball, late runs from midfielders without the ball, mazy runs from wherever, Gregan/Jobson/Barret-esque defending, game changing tactical decisions....

Instead we get 11 automotons making short passes to each other (and often missing) without one iota of desire to do something magical between them directed (or not) from the dugout by a succession of ex players who just want to grind 3 to 6 more years out of the game at all costs....

Managers or players won't dare to try something good for fear of doing something wrong..

Wellens, Baxter, Harkins, Tarkowski, Winchester (to a lesser extent) had/have a bit of what I want to see about them but it seems they're a dying breed....

Its football in general I think

Im sick of this play not to lose attitude which has filtered into the country and down the levels

its not every team all the time but more and more teams adopt the attitude every season. Ive stopped watching most Prem games for that reason & the fact that our manager sets up like that pisses me off massivley.

Entertain us! attacking football - win some lose some but this current product is :censored:e. I would much rather lose 3-2 watching an all out attacking game against Chesterfield, Barnsley or whoever than watch another boring 0-0, 1-1 or 1-0 loss.

What have we currently got to lose? we arent winning games anyway

Massively agree with this. For too long the FA has tried to copy the model of the latest winning international team. France, Spain, Germany - we're always trying to copy someone else and by the time we do anything about it the next fashion has come along.

There's an English way of playing and you've summed it up pretty well. I don't see why the top coaches in the country can't come up with a way of developing this style that the fans and players are more accustomed too. Doesn't mean there has to be a lack of technical ability.

Massively agree with this. For too long the FA has tried to copy the model of the latest winning international team. France, Spain, Germany - we're always trying to copy someone else and by the time we do anything about it the next fashion has come along.

Not only that, it's all been geared to helping an England team that hardly anybody gives a :censored: about anymore.

A large proportion of 92 clubs fans suffering mind numbing football all to aid a national team they now rarely even turn the TV over for...

And it isn't even aiding the national team...

The last Oldham game I saw that I think a neutral would've enjoyed was Gillingham away, and a bit earlier, Rochdale and Chesterfield away.

Two decent sides going for each other. Plenty of chances, passing, atmosphere etc.

The PL will always be marketable because they managed to paper over the boring games with some form of narrative. 0-0 becomes interesting because Mourinho needed to win, or Sunderland being :censored:e at football because Allardyce might take over, United and Van Gaal, Newcastle and Ashley...

At this level though, it's just football and it's boring most of the time.