Where does now rank amongst the worst times to have supported OAFC?

Went to watch a Premier League match in the away end the other week.

:censored:ing hell, the stuff on offer at League 1 level is atrocious. Championship standard is relatively high, but this level is dog:censored:. It really is.

On the other hand at the PL game, the atmosphere was excellent, the match was high-standard, the fans had genuinely likeable players with songs for them all, they all looked like they gave a :censored: for the cause, no problems between standing up and sitting down fans, bit of a laugh with the home fans.

The extra you pay for your ticket, pint and pie was worth it in the end. Hit home just how :censored:e it really is on your standard Saturday afternoon at BP.

Can't claim to have been going for even a quarter as long as some fans on here, so the decline must be even more evident and hurtful to those who saw the club at a decent level.

I went to FC United last Tuesday and the experience was better than anything at Latics. Good selection of food and beer (cheap) good undercover bar, great atmosphere, genuine care for the club, a half time draw that didn't offer JD vouchers. It's about your perspective, we've been used to :censored: at Latics for such a long time we've completely missed the fact football has moved on.

And to answer the original question, this is the worst I've ever felt about Latics. Even worse than under Penney. I have no intention of taking in a Latics game at BP for the foreseeable future even with the new stand, and I'll only attend away days for the day out, probably won't even go the games

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give my right arm top be struggling in the league above with a team that consists of Paul Gerrard, Gunnar Halle, Sean McCarthy, Stuart Barlow, Carl Serrant, Chris Makin, Lee Richardson, Nick Henry, Lee Richardson, Bez etc... with average crowds of 7,000. This situation is far worse than it was under Penney/Sharp. After 16 games under Penney we DWLDDLLWWWDDLWL had 20 points and we never dropped into the relegation zone after actually playing a game....

The penny has dropped for me this season - we're simply happy to exist. The board see 20th as an achievement. I saw the good times but it only ever felt we were on borrowed time. Relegation in 1994 shouldn't have been the end of world as we new the division well. Instead we only lasted 3 years. Whether historically we are traditionally a 3rd or 4th tier team or not in my lifetime we've spent 21 years in the top two divisions 18 in the second tier for me that will always be our level rightly or wrongly. The board expecting me to be grateful for this :censored:ty slow death of simply existing is not enough. This is the lowest I have felt, I'm completely indifferent to the procession of loanees we bring in month after month and by sight I reckon I could no longer name half of our squad. The football is sterile boring :censored:e and has been since Shez left apart from a three month period under Dickov in 2010.

Sadly under the present board and coaching set up it is inevitable we will fall again and once you drop into the league below then the real nightmare becomes a reality. I've threatened to walk away loads of times in the last decade of :censored:e but have always managed to drag myself back to games with blind faith. Yesterday though I was trying to have an intelligent conversation with a fellow 'fan' yet he found it simpler to make cheap insults about me, if that's the quality of supporter we now have then walking away has just become a whole lot easier....

This is it. I was actually enjoying last season for the first time in ages, but then we tried to sign a rapist, gave up on a season when we were in with a shout of the play offs, kicked me out of the Chaddy were I'd had a season ticket for 45 years, blatantly lied about the new stand being open for the start of the season to sell season tickets for it, appointed a no mark of a manager despite saying it had been the highest calibre of candidates ever, then lined up his replacement before the season started, another guy with zero management experience.

On top of all this, the man at the top constantly tells us we are over achieiving, punching above our way for not playing at a level we haven't played in since 1971. There is no other ambition at this club then to merely survive, and sadly, that attitude has spread to many supporters. There's no ambition and no hope any more, and that is the saddest part.

In my entire lifetime we have been in the same league and the lowest I've felt was under Penney. I will always remember the Stockport game the entire stand calling for a managers head and booing. I can see this being repeated sometime this season.

I've said it many times the loans and short term contracts are worrying. We are holding back our own youth team and sending them out to ramsbottom United who have players in their side who I've played Sunday league with and against. We are instead bringing in loan players who arguably no better than what we have got.

Every season we've brought through a youngster who's looked promising, Tom eaves James tarkowski Carl winhsster david Mellor to name a few. Look at Walsall who have developed players over time and fed them through to their first team.

Edited by SavageTheBeast

Prozac has touched on it. The amount of loan signings who come in and make 5 appearances for us before going back is a joke. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I long for the days when our own youth players, such as Rickers, Allott and McNiven, made 250 appearances for us...

For me one of the big problems is the number of loanees that don't even make 5 apps. I mean what is the point of a signing and not even playing them.

I went to FC United last Tuesday and the experience was better than anything at Latics. Good selection of food and beer (cheap) good undercover bar, great atmosphere, genuine care for the club, a half time draw that didn't offer JD vouchers. It's about your perspective, we've been used to :censored: at Latics for such a long time we've completely missed the fact football has moved on.

And to answer the original question, this is the worst I've ever felt about Latics. Even worse than under Penney. I have no intention of taking in a Latics game at BP for the foreseeable future even with the new stand, and I'll only attend away days for the day out, probably won't even go the games

Explains a few I know that have given up Latics for non-league football.

I was thinking about it before.

League 1 and 2 to an extent are in the rut between the glamour of the PL & Championship and the charm of non-league. Essentially, the club operates like the leagues above, but without the endearing features of non-league.

It's not just the football, it's everything surrounding it too, in my opinion.

This is it. I was actually enjoying last season for the first time in ages, but then we tried to sign a rapist, gave up on a season when we were in with a shout of the play offs, kicked me out of the Chaddy were I'd had a season ticket for 45 years, blatantly lied about the new stand being open for the start of the season to sell season tickets for it, appointed a no mark of a manager despite saying it had been the highest calibre of candidates ever, then lined up his replacement before the season started, another guy with zero management experience.

On top of all this, the man at the top constantly tells us we are over achieiving, punching above our way for not playing at a level we haven't played in since 1971. There is no other ambition at this club then to merely survive, and sadly, that attitude has spread to many supporters. There's no ambition and no hope any more, and that is the saddest part.

:censored:ing hell Ste, I wish I hadn't started the thread now :lol:

I'm am bored with it all!

National team -It's been boredsville since 2006, a team with unlikeable players like Ashley Cole, Terry, Neville etc underachieved and then we had Capello and Roy, two dull managers that have continued to bore the country to death

Premiership - Very few personalitys left apart from maybe Diego Costa . Every team playing one up front, rip off prices, players out of touch with the common man and sterile stadiums full of tourists

latics - Loanees, Loanees, loanees, short term fixes, short term contracts, ched Evans, Barry, Corney, 3 stands, 20 years in the same division, selling decent players for crap money. We even turned a new stand into a negative episode and lost any feel good factor around that. The list could be endless

I used to love football :-(

Edited by NIKI1234

In my entire lifetime we have been in the same league and the lowest I've felt was under Penney. I will always remember the Stockport game the entire stand calling for a managers head and booing. I can see this being repeated sometime this season.

I've said it many times the loans and short term contracts are worrying. We are holding back our own youth team and sending them out to ramsbottom United who have players in their side who I've played Sunday league with and against. We are instead bringing in loan players who arguably no better than what we have got.

Every season we've brought through a youngster who's looked promising, Tom eaves James tarkowski Carl winhsster david Mellor to name a few. Look at Walsall who have developed players over time and fed them through to their first team.

We might as well release lads rather than mess them about at levels that low.

What can you get from playing at that standard?

Been going since the late 80s, this is the worst by miles for me. Mills had to shout me to throw him the ball back against Burton I was checking my bets rather than watching the :censored:e being served on the pitch, the ball had stopped right at my foot and I'd not even noticed. Fair play to them young lads who turn up every week, if I was 16 and getting into football I'd be going non-league or City. No idea why a young kid would choose to stick with Latics. Imagine having watched 10 seasons of Oldham and them all being in league 1. How :censored:ing grim can it get. Can only think its the odd cup shock that keeps people hooked. We go out the FA cup and I can see this season seeing some real low crowds.

If we went down at least we would have anticipation of some sort of promotion push the following year (not that it would pan out like that). Each year we hope for 10th, expect 23rd and get 17th. :censored:e. I've money on us going down this year I think it is very much on.

I'm am bored with it all!

National team -It's been boredsville since 2006, a team with unlikeable players like Ashley Cole, Terry, Neville etc underachieved and then we had Capello and Roy, two dull managers that have continued to bore the country to death

Premiership - Very few personalitys left apart from maybe Diego Costa . Every team playing one up front, rip off prices, players out of touch with the common man and sterile stadiums full of tourists

latics - Loanees, Loanees, loanees, short term fixes, short term contracts, ched Evans, Barry, Corney, 3 stands, 20 years in the same division, selling decent players for crap money. We even turned a new stand into a negative episode and lost any feel good factor around that. The list could be endless

I used to love football :-(

Awful isn't it.

I was out for a mates birthday yesterday and had to suffer watching United in a pub.

I got chatting to a red and he was bemoaning all the sideways & backwards passing he thought even they were now doing...

It seems like it's reached a stage now where owners and managers are wholly focussed on doing no more than the bare minimum that's expected of them.

All of which should present opportunity for the odd team to exploit by being a bit different but nobody seems to want to....

Awful isn't it.

I was out for a mates birthday yesterday and had to suffer watching United in a pub.

I got chatting to a red and he was bemoaning all the sideways & backwards passing he thought even they were now doing...

It seems like it's reached a stage now where owners and managers are wholly focussed on doing no more than the bare minimum that's expected of them.

All of which should present opportunity for the odd team to exploit by being a bit different but nobody seems to want to....

like Leicester you mean ?

like Leicester you mean ?

Are they having a go? I don't pay much attention the the Premier League. Good on them if they are....

I remember being baffled at them being mocked for getting Ranieri in a few months back.

Most Premier League fans do seem very ready to think whatever tabloid newspapers tell them to....

Edited by HarryBosch

It's the lowest I've ever felt. It was pretty bad in the Penney season, I don't think we ever swept aside a team. Each win seemed laboured and by the odd goal rather than a cushion. It was :censored:ing dull and if it was a team above us, I just held no hope of us winning.

But this just feels worse. It feels like we're just a couple more defeats before getting really entrenched in the mire. And I can't see who in our personnel are the fighters who are going to drag us out.

As a few have touched on, I am not convinced it is not just football generally.

The lack of identity with the team at this level is corrosive - at times you genuinely don't know who you are arriving to watch if you have had a busy week and not kept in the loop.

I am not totally sure about formations, as I have seen plenty of sides even at our level rotate effectively behind a lone front man and create plenty. With us there is just a total unwillingness to press on and support forward runners. There are far to many sideways passes and we are painfuĺly static.

When you throw in off the field issues, managerial revolving doors and the bloody price of subjecting yourself to it, its painful. Genuinely at times.

The highest level in this country is completely uninspiring though as well. The least SKY and the Premier League could provide is a decent product for removing the very fabric of our game.

The Champions League and Europa league expose the naivety and tactical rigidity of our best sides.....and the clubs themselves have not worked out that they need to start producing some young players worth the name. The likes of Bayern, Barca and even Real still manage to produce players who are good enough to provide a domestic nucleus to their teams.

To be absolutely fair though, I am not convinced Hodgson gets enough credit for doing a decent job with the National team.... but even that was a seriously dull qualification!!

I still love Latics - Just wish I didn't, ha ha!!!

This season is the culmination of a downward spiral we've been in since Sheridan was sacked in 2009. We've had the odd good moment, the cup run under Dickov and the early season optimism last year.

Through years of falling crowds/lower investment in the playing side/loss of interest from owners and fans alike, we've continued on this downward curve, something which will end in relegation...

Will it be this season? Maybe. I don't feel as bad as I did in the Penney season, but that was my first real taste of a bad season, other than 03/04, though we had fighters in the team then. However, I have no faith that Dunn is the miracle worker we prayed for after Kelly, and no faith that the board have the funds nor the ambition to push for anything other than league one obscurity in the near-future.

and that's coming from a usually positive fan...

I'd give my right arm top be struggling in the league above with a team that consists of Paul Gerrard, Gunnar Halle, Sean McCarthy, Stuart Barlow, Carl Serrant, Chris Makin, Lee Richardson, Nick Henry, Lee Richardson, Bez etc... with average crowds of 7,000. This situation is far worse than it was under Penney/Sharp. After 16 games under Penney we DWLDDLLWWWDDLWL had 20 points and we never dropped into the relegation zone after actually playing a game....

Average crowds of 7k more due to the likes of Wolves, Stoke, WBA, Sunderland etc filling the RRE if I remember rightly.

Said to myself in preseason that I'd start going once the new stand was open...my excuse this last few weeks has been that I'm waiting for the stand to open fully.

Actually might go to the Mansfield game. Bit riding on it.

If we went down at least we would have anticipation of some sort of promotion push the following year (not that it would pan out like that). Each year we hope for 10th, expect 23rd and get 17th. :censored:e. I've money on us going down this year I think it is very much on.

Well I bet you will enjoy it if your bet comes in. Un Fcuking Believable

Second baby on the way, the need to buy a bigger place, the shocking football on display, David Dunn thinking he's the best manager ever in his interviews, Kelly being sold down the river deservedly or not, all reasons for me to not renew my ST next year. Yet I will do and I'll have to suffer not only league 2 football, probably and more shocking football, but my missus moaning that I spend a fortune to suffer it and come home in a bad mood every weekend