Sarcastic Negative Fans!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is obviously very true.

At Crawley last season, we were never going to win, and the songs got a good airing.

Agains Gillingham, where we played pretty well, there was much more encouragement. And far less negative singing.

It's obvious to everyone but Dunn isn't it?

Ofcourse he knows this.

But his job is to get the players performing he has a better chance of doing this with the fans backing the team. The players also need to know that their manager backs them. He's not said this to take a dig at the fans as a whole he has done this to stand up for his players, If your boss wasn't backing you, you wouldn't want to come to work for them, he's taking the heat off them by doing this they need to now go out and perform for him now.

What we have learned is that a majority of Oldham fans prefer empty platitudes and soundbites to a bit of honesty and gritty realism.

You probably all like the Bake Off and X Factor too.

I've really got into Bake-Off, but i can no longer watch X Factor or I'm a Celebrity. really tedious.

Bake-Off and Masterchef - always feel vey hungry after watching them.I think Dunny (slim to his friends) has been watching them as well.

Ofcourse he knows this.

But his job is to get the players performing he has a better chance of doing this with the fans backing the team. The players also need to know that their manager backs them. He's not said this to take a dig at the fans as a whole he has done this to stand up for his players, If your boss wasn't backing you, you wouldn't want to come to work for them, he's taking the heat off them by doing this they need to now go out and perform for him now.

That would be the case, if he had not introduced all the Joe Royle Billy Big Bollocks stuff. He even didn't have the player career of Royle either. He talks :censored:e.

Time will tell if it has taken the heat off.

Lets hope it works though

I hope the players appreciate what Dunn has come out and said here because both him and Corney have come out in public support of them and taken some heat for it.

Dunn seems to have misunderstood this Ferguson style unconditional backing of players in public thing (i.e defending the indefensible) - shouldn't he have demanded that they earn it first?

I think Dunn has got a point, but it's the way he shares that point that's the issue. For every fan who grumbles at the match their are four, five or ten no longer bothering to grumble as they are doing something else. Being realistic and excepting your lot isn't sport. If he wants the fans to set higher standards he needs to be clear that 15th isn't good enough.

You could argue that him 'being realistic and accepting his lot' with unhelpful fans is also not sport. He has raised it as an issue, because he wants it to improve - I'm glad he did.

I'm also expecting that he will be doing his side of this chicken-egg bargain, where he and the players are working hard to rectify the fans' complaints (the reasonable ones, anyway). He's new, he's ambitious, he's probably mortified it's not going swimmingly.

I think the dichotomy between fans here seems to be between fans who feel it is up the the players to raise their game on the pitch before they'll consider supporting vocally, and the ones who feel it is their job to support vocally to raise the players on the pitch.

No you apologise first!

No! You started it!

No, you did. You said.....!

Yes, but you did...........!

Well I'm not backing down!

Neither am I!

It's like a couple rowing.

Something's gotta give.

That would be the case, if he had not introduced all the Joe Royle Billy Big Bollocks stuff. He even didn't have the player career of Royle either. He talks :censored:e.

You might be taking that part a little bit too much to heart...

But this thread is about the Chron article where he fails to see the funny side of our gallows humour and moans about it

In isolation, fine. But in the context of boos and moans and abuse, and a generally negative atmosphere, it's not funny, supportive, or helpful to the manager and players - he's just pointing that out.

Maybe he should just say he doesn't 'give a monkeys'? That went down well from a previous manager.

In isolation, fine. But in the context of boos and moans and abuse, and a generally negative atmosphere, it's not funny, supportive, or helpful to the manager and players - he's just pointing that out.

Maybe he should just say he doesn't 'give a monkeys'? That went down well from a previous manager.

I am glad someone else mentioned that before I did! It would have caused OWTB meltdown

He said it in isolation.

Edited by HarryBosch

No, he said it within a context. He didn't say the context. he didn't need to. It has already been said before.

“The feeling around the club at times is a little bit negative, as I have said before,” said Dunn, whose side now sit 18th in the League One table ahead of a run of three straight home fixtures.

“I thought with the away fans, though they were very noisy, there was an element of sarcasm in the stuff they were coming out with which is a little bit disappointing.

OK, I suppose you're right.....

(God, that hurt)

See I like that. Big Egos' win you games, Mohammed Ali went round telling everyone he was the greatest eventually everyone believed him, whats the point of a manager coming here to be manager of Oldham Athletic and not believing you can achieve something serious however ridiculous that may sound to others.

He's put his plums on the line saying what he has done, if we lose tonight and on Saturday he is going to look a right chump! If the players have heard this they should recognise this and go out and perform for him. If your leader goes round acting like hes a beaten man then we may as well start a goal down in every game, If the manager believes the players will too if he doesn't believe then we may aswell give him his P45 now and get someone who does.

See I like that. Big Egos' win you games, Mohammed Ali went round telling everyone he was the greatest eventually everyone believed him, whats the point of a manager coming here to be manager of Oldham Athletic and not believing you can achieve something serious however ridiculous that may sound to others.

He's put his plums on the line saying what he has done, if we lose tonight and on Saturday he is going to look a right chump! If the players have heard this they should recognise this and go out and perform for him. If your leader goes round acting like hes a beaten man then we may as well start a goal down in every game, If the manager believes the players will too if he doesn't believe then we may aswell give him his P45 now and get someone who does.

I thought he said he intends to get us success in a shorter timeframe than Royle did but that we shouldn't expect any better than 15th.......?

I thought he said he intends to get us success in a shorter timeframe than Royle did but that we shouldn't expect any better than 15th.......?

I, for one, can't wait to see Dunn on the pitch, at the end of the season six years from now, giving it the Dowie fist pump celebration, as 14th place in League One has been safely secured.

I'm expected the next instalment of arrogance to be a Waren Feeney -esque "Nothing to prove".

If we beat Mansfield and Barnsley, I'll hail him as the Messiah, naturally.

One thing I do like about Dunn, he is introducing players ( through his company) it seems, experiences for the players like going to Ricky Hatton's Gym and some Legend this weekthat I could not see who it was.. Apprentice type thing. That could come good, I really hope so.

The sarcastic chants obviously worked because we were 1-0 down when it started and it inspired the comeback.

1-0 to the fans i think !!!!

Jokes aside, he should look at it in a similar way. We were :censored: and a few tried to make light of the situation by singing some daft songs. It's a day out at the end of the day...

As it happens, we got a couple of goals and the players got clapped off (not sarcastically).

Talk about how hard they're trying all he wants (bless em), but he should be able to deconstruct from that what makes people happy.

I'm expected the next instalment of arrogance to be a Waren Feeney -esque "Nothing to prove".

If we beat Mansfield and Barnsley, I'll hail him as the Messiah, naturally.

One thing I do like about Dunn, he is introducing players ( through his company) it seems, experiences for the players like going to Ricky Hatton's Gym and some Legend this weekthat I could not see who it was.. Apprentice type thing. That could come good, I really hope so.

They've been to Hattons gym before, it isn't because of Dunn.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I've only just read it on the Chron website. Some comments from Dunn that I think would be a real struggle for anyone to complain about...

“Going forward, I want to get good, solid players who can easily play 35 or 40 games a season and who have done so consistently. That will be the key,” Dunn said.

“Then, rather than having a couple of players who can do 20 games each and splitting the budget, we can get in one really good player who can do 40 and give him a bit more.

“Footballers are all the same. They will most of the time go, one, to play for a club, two, for a manager, and three, where the dosh is.

“I just can’t wait to put my stamp on everything. However long it takes me to do that, I know one thing — the club will be better for it.”