What has David Dunn. Done.....

Whilst I accept he is new to being a manager.

What has he done to show any signs he could make it as a manager?

Motivate players? No

Get the fans onside? No

Improve results? No

Improve performances? No

Last night he was stood in the Darren Kelly pose hands in pockes looking clueless.

This guy is as much a fraud as Darren Kelly.

He needs to do what he did when he first came in. He promised boring, but hard to beat football and we lost one in seven.

But how many did we win? You can't survive by drawing every game.

I've not heard him once take responsibility for a result. Instead, he blames other factors - the budget, the players, and even us, the fans.

I think he'll be given until the new year, regardless of where we are in the league or how low our attendances get.

I, for one, won't be attending another home game until results pick up or there's a managerial change.

But how many did we win? You can't survive by drawing every game.

I've not heard him once take responsibility for a result. Instead, he blames other factors - the budget, the players, and even us, the fans.

I think he'll be given until the new year, regardless of where we are in the league or how low our attendances get.

I, for one, won't be attending another home game until results pick up or there's a managerial change.

He admitted picking the wrong team on Saturday.

He did?

He was questioned by BBC Radio Manchester about whether he'd picked the wrong team and his response was - 'possibly'. Hardly a resounding admission of responsibility.

He spent the majority of the interview talking about how poor the players were.

Was he wrong to talk about that then?

He did?

He was questioned by BBC Radio Manchester about whether he'd picked the wrong team and his response was - 'possibly'. Hardly a resounding admission of responsibility.

He spent the majority of the interview talking about how poor the players were.

He also said he could sleep at night as he was doing everything he could.... which is a worry.

Edited by singe

This always makes me laugh. As if getting a spray tan like Phil Brown and making grunting noises at your players on the sidelines makes any difference to how your players play.

Players look to the manager on the sidelines for inspiration. Where's the inspiration in standing there with your hands in your pockets.

I heard a manager or ex manager the other day say that man management is about 85% of the modern game, and it seems true. Look at the successful managers of recent times - Ferguson, reputable for being a good man manager, telling players to take a risk and enjoy themselves too. Redknapp is often sighted as the best man manager of the higher levels.

It doesn't seem evident in Dunn's management that he is a good man manager, or that he's good at anything else. Tactically he is awful too.

I'm usually a positive fan, even last year when Holden got it, I was holding out that a better manager would come in and change things in the summer, but Corney and co have dropped three major bollocks with Holden, Kelly and now Dunn. Put that along with Evans and the new stand and 2015 has been a right :censored: up from the board.

Work commitments meant that I avoided the pain of last nights game, but overall the season is one yet to contain almost any sign of optimism.

DD has to take responsibility for this - one up front and long balls to Poleon for over an hour was tedious on Saturday, and it took him about 30 minutes longer than everyone else to realise and make the change. In the end it felt like we were the team most likely to take the 3 points until their goal at the death. Not sure what happened last night, the formation seems to be that which finished Saturday (a sensible approach) and on the statistics we created enough opportunities and goals to win a game but it must have been poor based on forum and Twitter comments.

Whilst DD has responsibility, I do have to concede that the same group of players struggled in the last third of last season (initially under LJ and then Holden) and continued to struggle in the first part of this season under Kelly. Clearly we have an issue that is not that easy to fix and more and more it seems as though LJ was over-achieving with the players we had last season. On the face of it, it would seem that LJ was a really great man manger and motivator - though Barnsley seem to be an argument to say that isn't necessarily true.

Given that we have an average/poor team and a new manager and an inexperienced coach this season is not a surprise. I can see the point that many make that the blame lies with SC for this - and I partly agree.

Whilst I have no issue with inexperienced managers - in fact at our level I prefer that to the alternative of a previous manager with recent failures behind them - the coupling of the current and last ones with an equally inexperienced coach is madness.

I'd have hoped that Dunn / Corney would have brought in another experienced coach to either work alongside / replace Holden. Still time to do this - and perhaps a more tenable response from the owner than sacking your second manager before Christmas.

With regards to the quiet silent manager v screaming and shouting. I don't think you necessarily need to be constantly up and down, waving your arms and bellowing words of encouragement to be a good manager - but what you do need to do is communicate to the players to make changes to the formation / tactics when you can see it is not working. I recall Dunn himself looking to the bench for instruction during the Peterborough game after they had cut through us for the 4th time in 10 minutes to almost say "This isn't working, what do you want us to do differently" and was met with nothing from DK.

Not seen DD up close since moving to the North Stand to see what if any style of communications he gives to the team during the games.

Edited by Scapegoat

Of course and I bet all the match tactics were presented to the players by Brown before and at half time. I don't see what running up and down the touchline shouting "2nd ball" a lot contributes.

Are we talking about P Brown or K Brown?

Edited by BP1960

So if Dunn ran up and down the touchline shouting and screaming we'd play better? Someone should tell Simon and Barry that's what we need when we appoint the next poor unfortunate :censored: and we'll be in the Premiership in 3 years.

It's worth a try. Standing there doing :censored: all with your hands in your pockets is really inspiring.

If a manager has given up, what are the players meant to think?

Work commitments meant that I avoided the pain of last nights game, but overall the season is one yet to contain almost any sign of optimism.

DD has to take responsibility for this - one up front and long balls to Poleon for over an hour was tedious on Saturday, and it took him about 30 minutes longer than everyone else to realise and make the change. In the end it felt like we were the team most likely to take the 3 points until their goal at the death. Not sure what happened last night, the formation seems to be that which finished Saturday (a sensible approach) and on the statistics we created enough opportunities and goals to win a game but it must have been poor based on forum and Twitter comments.

Whilst DD has responsibility, I do have to concede that the same group of players struggled in the last third of last season (initially under LJ and then Holden) and continued to struggle in the first part of this season under Kelly. Clearly we have an issue that is not that easy to fix and more and more it seems as though LJ was over-achieving with the players we had last season. On the face of it, it would seem that LJ was a really great man manger and motivator - though Barnsley seem to be an argument to say that isn't necessarily true.

Given that we have an average/poor team and a new manager and an inexperienced coach this season is not a surprise. I can see the point that many make that the blame lies with SC for this - and I partly agree.

Whilst I have no issue with inexperienced managers - in fact at our level I prefer that to the alternative of a previous manager with recent failures behind them - the coupling of the current and last ones with an equally inexperienced coach is madness.

I'd have hoped that Dunn / Corney would have brought in another experienced coach to either work alongside / replace Holden. Still time to do this - and perhaps a more tenable response from the owner than sacking your second manager before Christmas.

With regards to the quiet silent manager v screaming and shouting. I don't think you necessarily need to be constantly up and down, waving your arms and bellowing words of encouragement to be a good manager - but what you do need to do is communicate to the players to make changes to the formation / tactics when you can see it is not working. I recall Dunn himself looking to the bench for instruction during the Peterborough game after they had cut through us for the 4th time in 10 minutes to almost say "This isn't working, what do you want us to do differently" and was met with nothing from DK.

Not seen DD up close since moving to the North Stand to see what if any style of communications he gives to the team during the games.

I always try to be positive but there are things about Dunn that concern me-

I cannot accept that - "we have told them all week about this that or the other" is good enough- he has to appoint specific people to take charge of situations and make sure they do - as someone else has said it- he seems to always find someone else to blame.

The tactics and selections are often wrong .

We cannot undo what has gone before but an urgent rethink on approach and motivating the players needs to come in straight away.

The usual post that the all the players are crap and dont care is undone by the fact that LJ had most of these playing to potential for a few months last year- ok we had Forte firing then but it is not all down to missed chances.

I felt too depressed to listen to more than 10 mins on LP and i cant recall being so disillusioned in 37 years of following Latics

But Forte was the difference....whenever he was injured we never looked like scoring. Without his goals last season we would have been in the same predicament then as we are now!

After Christmas when his knee problems became an issue our form collapsed.

This is more or less the same squad minus Forte......conclusion.......we are / were crap without him and is the reason LJ / Barnsley were prepared to gamble on his fitness at the start of the season!

Edited by oafc1955