Coventry away

From what I've seen, I feel that Cornell is currently marginally better than Coleman at present. Coleman looks to have more potential though and I'm disappointed that the benefit of the doubt hasn't been given to our home-grown player. However I don't feel that either are adequate for this season so Monty Burns' theory about protecting Coleman might have some truth to it (I'll admit that's being very generous to the management team).

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% disagree. Any mistakes Coleman has made, as a 20yr old learning the game (4 yrs younger than a lad who has been at a Prem club supposedly learning it) he needs backing. Coleman may have the odd blip but still not anywhere as many as Cornell. I also felt folk blaming him for Barnsley's winner was quite harsh when the defence allowed a point blank shot at him (ok, could've done a little better but he so badly exposed.) I'd be putting Coleman in, getting rid of Cornell in Jan and seeking out another keeper.

Absolutely spot on.

100% disagree. Any mistakes Coleman has made, as a 20yr old learning the game (4 yrs younger than a lad who has been at a Prem club supposedly learning it) he needs backing. Coleman may have the odd blip but still not anywhere as many as Cornell. I also felt folk blaming him for Barnsley's winner was quite harsh when the defence allowed a point blank shot at him (ok, could've done a little better but he so badly exposed.) I'd be putting Coleman in, getting rid of Cornell in Jan and seeking out another keeper.

without looking at the replay didnt he fumble the first ball in? allowing the 2nd strike?

I think he is picking Cornell to protect Coleman long term.

So Dunn is 3 months into his first job, he is bottom of the league, his head is wanted by many fans, he brings in 3 x 19 year olds but decides not to pick a player he believes to be better than the player who he picks because he is. 20 years old and needs protecting for his successor.....Wow what a man

without looking at the replay didnt he fumble the first ball in? allowing the 2nd strike?

He can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the point he was making was that they allowed an unmarked player to head a ball point blank at him which he didn't deal with as well as he could have but he shouldn't have been exposed to that

So Dunn is 3 months into his first job, he is bottom of the league, his head is wanted by many fans, he brings in 3 x 19 year olds but decides not to pick a player he believes to be better than the player who he picks because he is. 20 years old and needs protecting for his successor.....Wow what a man

Yep. Kind of like the changes he is trying to make to the daily regime around meeting points, meals and changing areas. Beat him with that stick too if you want.

He can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the point he was making was that they allowed an unmarked player to head a ball point blank at him which he didn't deal with as well as he could have but he shouldn't have been exposed to that

fair enough but similar could be said of the corners on Saturday?

2 corners which maybe should have been claimed but also without doubt should have been headed away resulting in one off the line and one goal conceded.

there is am argument to say both are young keepers who have made mistakes but have been both badly exposed by a :censored:e defence...

2 corners which maybe should have been claimed but also without doubt should have been headed away resulting in one off the line and one goal conceded.

there is am argument to say both are young keepers who have made mistakes but have been both badly exposed by a :censored:e defence...

I agree we're poor at defending set pieces. That first corner on highlights where he throws himself on floor was embarrassing. If I did that for my team on a Sunday and we conceded I'd get battered. If there was a foul on him 2nd one and I'm not so sure I think his embarrassing dive first off probably swayed the ref to not give anything

Correct. Liam Kelly especially was at fault for not dealing with it.

Young keepers? To some extent explains mistakes caused by inexperience yes ...

but manchester City and Manchester United signed their current first choice keepers when they were 19 and 21 respectively for a combined sum of £ 20 million. bogdan , liverpools keeper made his premier league debut ( for Bolton) aged 18

Nearer home I think Goram was18 when he became a first team regular for us.

Dean lyness who will play in goal for Blackpool on Saturday is younger than Cornell.

Youth is not a get out of jail free card

I suppose the biggest single difference (or way I can put it is this...) Coleman might sometimes "fumble" the ball when the odds are possibly against him. Cornell literally drops the ball when me or you could even catch it. I don't know if you have seen the highlight from the 93rd minute on Saturday but CATCH THE :censored:ING BALL CORNELL!!! So nearly threw away the point gained coz he just isn't very good at catching. And for the goal, he had every chance on both corners leading to the goal to follow the flight of that ball and punch it away. He can get another foot and a half above a player heading by punching it away and especially after seeing that exact corner 30 seconds before...there are no excuses.

Edited by boundaryblue80

So Dunn is in your view deliberately not picking his best available team when we are bottom of league...no further stick needed

No.

Theyre pretty much even except one is younger, in fact in Keeper terms a baby. It's the decision of a Football person so I respect it.

Also MIGHT benefit us in some way somehow in the future so.

Thats because they have little protection, Cornell was bullied by a 5ft 8 David Worrall not to mention the 9st wet through Coventry player who he was whining about on Saturday who should of been taken care of, Coleman keeps clean sheets Cornell doesn't, everyone I speak to wants Coleman and you are one of the very few who favours Cornell, its difficult to see what he brings to thr team but like you say each to their own.

Where's the old fashioned keeper techiques gone? no one would in their right mind are go anywhere near Peter McDonnell or Harry Dowd.

Edited by BP1960

Impossible for any keeper from a standing start to a ball behind him or indeed in front of him from a corner when blocked by opponent

Ps not talking about Cornell or Coleman.

Corners and free kicks from certain areas are now like basketball with team mates deliberately blocking and body checking your opponents runs and vice versa. 2 weeks ago For example De gea was so obsessed with moving the opponent blocking him at a corner that he conceded direct from it.

The pushing and collisions at corners are not ad hoc chaos there are hours of planning that go into it and when the attacking side get it right we all have a tendency to blame defence not praise attack when in fact most teams, Latics included, are outstanding at defending set pieces

Impossible for any keeper from a standing start to a ball behind him or indeed in front of him from a corner when blocked by opponent

Ps not talking about Cornell or Coleman.

Corners and free kicks from certain areas are now like basketball with team mates deliberately blocking and body checking your opponents runs and vice versa. 2 weeks ago For example De gea was so obsessed with moving the opponent blocking him at a corner that he conceded direct from it.

The pushing and collisions at corners are not ad hoc chaos there are hours of planning that go into it and when the attacking side get it right we all have a tendency to blame defence not praise attack when in fact most teams, Latics included, are outstanding at defending set pieces

Keepers are protected species...if they come out for a ball and run into a blocking defender 9 times out of 10 they will get a free kick. Like basketball...a slight touch and the play is stopped. No excuse for this pussying out Cornell is doing.

As a coach I would hope that 9 times out of 10 when the keeper runs into a blocking attacker the blocking attacker has deliberately done it. What we need to remember is that the attacking side know to where the ball is being delivered . Armed with that information it is the easiest thing in the world to prevent any possibility of the goalkeeper reaching that point

As a coach I would hope that 9 times out of 10 when the keeper runs into a blocking attacker the blocking attacker has deliberately done it. What we need to remember is that the attacking side know to where the ball is being delivered . Armed with that information it is the easiest thing in the world to prevent any possibility of the goalkeeper reaching that point

Ah, I actually meant attacker. :sign0007:

The keepers I mentioned were very strong and experienced,they knew how to get to the ball first by hook or crook. A big shout of 'Mine' when claiming crosses usually frightened opponents enough to let them claim the ball unapposed.

Edited by BP1960

It is the rule....however in 60 years of playing watching and refereeing i have never known a free kick given for it.....on the other hand I have seen the 6 second rule invoked once.

Perhaps the most mis understood rule however is encroachment at a penalty . Do you know what happens if an attacking player encroaches?

Also ....can you score an own goal from a your own corner

This would make a great thread on its own!