Coventry away

I was just wondering...What's the opposite of a happy clapper? Miserable moaner? Yup - that sounds about right...

What is someone who is neither one nor the other. I really felt good about a last gasp draw, and i desperately want us to turn a corner, but i'm all too aware of the shortcomings of both manager a team. I just want a respite. I need a break. I'm grasping at straws.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is someone who is neither one nor the other. I really felt good about a last gasp draw, and i desperately want us to turn a corner, but i'm all too aware of the shortcomings of both manager a team. I just want a respite. I need a break. I'm grasping at straws.

I think lots of us are like that.

Not ignoring shortcomings but certainly not seeing a negative aspect to every facet of the club. We know there's lots to improve on but believe that not only are there good things, good people, good intentions , there is little to be gained from the repetitious negativity.

Does Philliskirk only ever score truly disgusting goals these days?

It's brilliant.

Danny loves an away day!

Big goals at Swindon, Chesterfield and now Coventry without those we would now be cut adrift at the bottom.

He's the closest thing we have got to a poacher as he can sniff out goals in the penalty box.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Just seen the goals again and I'd agree that Cornell has to take some blame for their goal. The delivery was very good though.

Their keeper seems to be claiming a foul for our goal. My brother pointed out that Poleon might've shoved their defender into the keeper but it would've been soft if given.

I think lots of us are like that.

Not ignoring shortcomings but certainly not seeing a negative aspect to every facet of the club. We know there's lots to improve on but believe that not only are there good things, good people, good intentions , there is little to be gained from the repetitious negativity.

Agreed

Why wouldn't Barnsley losing be anything other than a positive? Most of the results, except Blackpool, were generally favourable, but Barnsley is especially enjoyable (FOR ME). Johnson's Barnsley losing is always sweet and VERY POSITIVE FOR ME. Be as ironic as you want, though why you should feel the need is beyond me.

:censored:ing hell - rain on my parade for no obvious reason. Trying to enjoy a Saturday for once, and all you get is :censored:ty arsed comments.

I'm off to put my head in a bucket whilst sitting in a corner shaking with sadness because my attempt to look at the positives has come crashing down in flames.......

Whilst being ironic - there was a tongue in cheek element... It's become very precious on here lol

I don't think we should get carried away.

For the first half hour we were atrocious. Passing was dreadful. After nine minutes I'd counted five individual errors by Dieng alone and others were giving the ball away like drug dealers dishing out free samples to open up a new market of misery. Conversely Coventry were very good. Closing down lost causes. Backing each other up. Running into spaces to create passing opportunities for team mates. It looked like they would easily break down Latics who sat deep with little intent to cross half way.

We did become a little more threatening towards the end of the half, Jones delivering a couple of corners into their six yard box which, while eventually dealt with by the home side, showed a weakness in their defending. They were also bloody good corners.

Their goal, ironically, came from a similar corner. Cornell came for it, the ball sailed over his head and their lad at the far post couldn't really miss. Cornell claimed a foul. I didn't see it. But even if he was impeded he still has to get to that ball once he's left his line.

Coventry then, surprisingly, sat back. Latics had a lot of the ball and retained it better than they had done first half. Genuine attacking moments were few and far between. In a rare break Coventry looked like they should have had a penalty. Jesus, I thought they should have had a penalty. But the ref though otherwise and he was well placed.

Both sides made three substitutions. Coventry replacing Kent surprised me because he looked really good, often exposing Dieng and Wilson B while keeping the disappointing Winchester in check.

As the game drew to a close few in the sparsely populated away section thought we'd do it but their keeper made a couple of excellent saves before Yeates' slightly under hit corner found Philliskirk and a gap of what seemed like seconds before we realised the ball had gone in.

Great scenes of togetherness for the celebrations. And a much happier journey home for us.

Edited by opinions4u

Their goal, ironically, came from a similar corner. Cornell came for it, the ball sailed over his head and their lad at the far post couldn't really miss. Cornell claimed a foul. I didn't see it. But even if he was impeded he still has to get to that ball once he's left his line.

It does look a foul on the video to me, their guy looks like he deliberately backs in and impedes him. Although I'm not convinced he would have got there if not blocked. It's a great corner and it looks like he got under it a bit.

Some quite harsh assessments of the performance IMHO.

The criticism I would lay against Dunn above all others is that I have no idea how he is setting us up to win, or even take points from games. We have appeared to go out soley hoping the opposition don't score.

I never got that impression yesterday. The defensive shape and organisation was streets better. We were very narrow across the back 4 and forced them out of our channels. When the ball did come into the box the combination of our centre halves and midfield anchors mopped up.

It did mean we were lacking options with the ball which led to a large number of unforced errors, but were they not just the signs that betrayed the players lack of confidence? As the game went on and we established ourselves the errors went away.

Surely we had to start solidly though to get a foothold in the game? To open ourselves up against a confident and talented front 3 with our recent defensive record would have been suicide.

I didn't feel they sat back, we forced them back and had been doing from the 15 minutes before half time. As we got into the game, one of Wellens or Kelly was released further forward and we pressed the play really effectively.

He didn't have his best game but Philly managed to find that space in front of the back 4 and Winchester started to get his foot on the ball. The movement improved and we had 3 or 4 opportunities with excellent deliveries (with men in the box) that should have led to better.

The subs were difficult ones to make as we were so obviously the better team at that point and the pressure in midfield to retain the ball was key to that.

Was the equaliser fortunate - clearly - but we never should have been behind in the first place. If we don't make that basic error I honestly think we had a great chance of going onto win the game - and looking at their forum a lot of their fans at half time did also!!

As said by many though you can't play like that against the weaker sides or at home as you rely on frustrating your opponent to create attacking opportunities as the game goes on. However in isolation yesterday (especially given recent form and confidence levels) that was a decent effort from the players and manager. Ironically given many of our thoughts on Dunn and events elsewhere at many larger clubs there was a collective effort that showed some unity and effort. I hope to see more from that base!!

Edited by whitey1980

I don't think we should get carried away.

For the first half hour we were atrocious. Passing was dreadful. After nine minutes I'd counted five individual errors by Dieng alone and others were giving the ball away like drug dealers dishing out free samples to open up a new market of misery. Conversely Coventry were very good. Closing down lost causes. Backing each other up. Running into spaces to create passing opportunities for team mates. It looked like they would easily break down Latics who sat deep with little intent to cross half way.

We did become a little more threatening towards the end of the half, Jones delivering a couple of corners into their six yard box which, while eventually dealt with by the home side, showed a weakness in their defending. They were also bloody good corners.

Coventry then, surprisingly, sat back. Latics had a lot of the ball and retained it better than they had done first half. Genuine attacking moments were few and far between. In a rare break Coventry looked like they should have had a penalty. Jesus, I thought they should have had a penalty. But the ref though otherwise and he was well placed.

Both sides made three substitutions. Coventry replacing Kent surprised me because he looked really good, often exposing Dieng and Wilson B while keeping the disappointing Winchester in check.

As the game drew to a close few in the sparsely populated away section thought we'd do it but their keeper made a couple of excellent saves before Yeates' slightly under hit corner found Philliskirk and a gap of what seemed like seconds before we realised the ball had gone in.

Great scenes of togetherness for the celebrations. And a much happier journey home for us.

Very accurate summary in my view.

The celebrations at the end were fantastic.

Very accurate summary in my view.

The celebrations at the end were fantastic.

I agree about opinions4u's summary.

If it had been Cov equalising in stoppage time, the depression would have returned going into Christmas, whereas now more will be looking forward to a trip to the seaside. It's a funny old game!

.... We couldn't strings two passes together first half and hardly ventured into the Coventry half. It was very poor, coventry were pretty :censored:e but we were making them look good. ....

This is what I don't get about Latics at the moment. Unfortunately, my only game this season so far has been Swindon away, and from that it is clear that we have some half decent players, and we really can play much better that Nikki's quote says.

So is the manager really negatively affecting the players so much, or is he maybe not sending them out first half with rockets up their back-sides, or is it the players to blame, and how can it be so collectively, or is it just so contagious?

Also, is Coleman still injured or is he available to play cos it does sound like maybe Cornell could take a break.

I really am so confused by it all; I'm a self-confessed happy-clapper and really can't wait to be back in the North-West soon and at BP (sorry, SD.comP!) every game. But, without even attending a game my enthusiasm seems to be draining away; or is that just this darn forum and the negative ones on it??

Keep the Faith!!

As the point scoring system over time rewards sides with a good attack and an indifferent defence more than it does teams with vice versa strengths and given our league position I feel we need to be prepared to lose more games in attempting to win more.

In cricketing terms we bowl with 2 slips and a gully protected with a third man and extra cover. We need at times to set 3 slips and 2 gullies instead and risk conceding boundaries in order to take wickets. We can no longer hope to stay up by getting them in singles....we need some boundaries.....or to stick with the bowling analogy we are going to have to bowl them out to win

As the point scoring system over time rewards sides with a good attack and an indifferent defence more than it does teams with vice versa strengths and given our league position I feel we need to be prepared to lose more games in attempting to win more.

In cricketing terms we bowl with 2 slips and a gully protected with a third man and extra cover. We need at times to set 3 slips and 2 gullies instead and risk conceding boundaries in order to take wickets. We can no longer hope to stay up by getting them in singles....we need some boundaries.....or to stick with the bowling analogy we are going to have to bowl them out to win

I think you need to work on your analogies; extra cover is nowhere near those other fielding positions. Cover point perhaps?

Of course extra cover in no way near the slips that is the point!!!

Cover point will be there with 3 slips and 2 gullies.....the point is that when we bowl a full length on or outside off stump the aim is to make the batsman drive at a swinging or seaming delivery. The hope is that the edge goes to slip. If the batsman plays the drive well the ball will go through extra cover . The defensive captain will put a man therefore.

A really adventurous captain might even take out mid off too to encourage the drive .. Personally I always liked the attacking slip cordon with a short leg in and no mid wicket but a deep square leg to make the batsman know that a bouncer was a possibility and stop him getting forward too quickly to counter the off stump line of attack.

In short we need to set a field to take wickets not save runs

All valid points, but is Coventry away really the game to unshackell this adventurous attacking philosophy?

Are they gods gift to football - no - Did they have a really dangerous front 3 who could have ripped us to shreds on the counter - clearly!!

The conversation may have some validity if we set up the same way against Blackpool.

To use the idea of cricket, its about judging moments in the game - not a set template that creates success. There are clearly moments to attack with the ball and set the field accordingly....but equally sometimes stopping runs can create pressure and wickets.

We used the latter approach on Saturday - Blackpool away (recent form accepted) might demand the former!!

Agreed. You need a wicket that might do a bit....I wasn't suggesting Coventry was such a wicket..........what I am saying is that we have a few games coming up where attacking fields and playing a few shots might bring a reward. Let's commit to a positive attempt to score first...it is a much easier game if you do

Jesus, I blinked and Swindon are only 6 points off the play-offs!

They hired an experienced manager...yes it was a gamble due to his past but its worked. Even if that is only a 'new manager bounce' its probably going to easily see them safe. We didnt get that bounce with dunn.

Its all to clear we are going out not to get beat. Ok, coventry away that may have been acceptable but it follows similar at games like barnsley, crewe....we cannot do this every week and expect to stay up.

We need to get at teams from the off...as i posted earlier, we have not scored in the first half for TEN Games which to me,shows a complete lack of intent.

Yes its a good point but we're only going down playing like we do....dunn still has to go for me