Bradford (A)

To be clear, I think the ref made the (wrong) decision in an honest enough way. Unfortunately, sending someone off isn't a great one to get wrong, as it is likely to have a significant impact on the outcome of the game. It should be rescinded (it won't be though) but we won't miss Brown anyway.

But how someone can look at the challenge, with the benefit of the camera angle (better than the ref's view) and replays and come to the conclusion that it definitely warrants a red card is beyond me.

How someone can look at the challenge without taking into account where the ref was is beyond me.

He only gets 1 view and can only see it from his own angle therefore definite red card! Browns feet both left the ground. We wont miss him

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How someone can look at the challenge without taking into account where the ref was is beyond me.

He only gets 1 view and can only see it from his own angle therefore definite red card! Browns feet both left the ground. We wont miss him

Agreed, on both counts.

Sidefooted the ball clear, one-footed, before contact. Both players went in - a six and two threes challenge... Looking at the replay in slow motion, after contact, Brown's feet looked to both be off the floor. Unfortunately for him, the ref was viewing from an angle that would have

exaggerated that two-footed impression. For me though, it's not a foul let alone a card of any colour.

I think these days it's the case that any sliding tackle where you are unavoidably going to connect with the player (before or after the ball), you are pushing your luck big time.

There are degrees of seriousness. Studs up and two footed being a guaranteed red...

But I think what did it for Connor was that their player was still on his feet whereas he was off balance and thereby "reckless" or "endangering the opponent" or whatever the rule book will say.

I think you can only safely make a sliding challenge these days if it's not directly towards a player - side on, with your forward motion going across his path rather than directly into the other player, is okay.

Which means that Reid should have seen red for the tackle on Winchester from behind straight on his ankle. Difference being Winchester didnt make a big fuss out of it

The rules allow for any tackle to be interpreted in any manner. Excessive force is too subjective.

You could make a case for either point and it would be 'within the laws of the game'. That said, Brown would be sent off every game he plays with if that was the definition, because that is simply how he tackles on a consistent basis.

Ref was clearly a jobsworth - he didn't have to send Brown off. What did frustrate me was the inconsistency, where he ignored some terrible fouls they put in in the first half - notably one of their lads chopped down Winchester from behind and we didn't receive a free-kick iirc. They were a very dirty side, and they hardly even made it subtle.

That is absolutely fine and your decision has to be right if you are in charge...you would not have sent him off because you did did not see an out of control excessive force tackle. If the match official did I am sure you would agree he has to send him off and I am sure you support him even if on this occasion you disagree?

It wasn't even a tackle, it was Brown's ball to lose.

Out of interest, would you have given a free-kick or yellow card?

I'd have waved play on and told the Bradford player to stop being soft but I tend to let quite a lot go. I ref in the saturday league that I used to play in so I like to let the game flow wherever possible.

I can however see why the ref has sent him given the view he would have had compared to the TV view.

I didn't go to the game but it's been said that Connor did nothing but foul since he came on, that won't have helped matters and would have had an impact on the refs split second decision