Tommy Bryceland

Let's not forget then that we had these idols even when playing in division four!

The first Latics team I can remember would've been something like this:

1. Barry Gordine

2. Ian Wood

3. Ray Wilson

4. Alan McNeil

5. Jim Bowie

6. Bill Cranston

7. Don Heath

8. David Shaw

9. Jim Fryatt

10. Tommy Brycleland

11. John Colquhoun

All heroes!

RIP Tommy, my dad and my mate spoke very fondly of him this morning.

Look how that X1 they compare to the current heartless duck eggs

My first 11 looks something like this

Andy Goram

Denis Irwin

Andy Linighan

Kevin Moore RIP

Willie Donachie

Roger Palmer

Mike Milligan

Tony Henry

Gary Williams

Tommy Wright

Ron Futcher

Not one made of biscuits amongst them and all gave as good as they got. Not one mard arse amongst them.

The first Latics team I can remember was:

1. Harry Dowd

2. Ian Wood

3. Maurice Whittle

4. Alan McNeil

5. Bill Cranston

6. Jim Bowie

7. Don Heath

8. David Shaw

9. Jim Fryatt

10. Tommy Brycleland

11. Keith Bebbington

Promoted in my first season. 50 goals, in all competitions, from Shaw and Fryatt. That's why I became a Latics fan for life.

1. Harry Dowd

2. Ian Wood

3. Maurice Whittle

4. Alan McNeil

5. Bill Cranston

6. Jim Bowie

7. Don Heath

8. David Shaw

9. Jim Fryatt

10. Tommy Brycleland

11. Keith Bebbington

Promoted in my first season. 50 goals, in all competitions, from Shaw and Fryatt. That's why I became a Latics fan for life.

In those days you knew the team week in week out, now they are here today gone tomorrow. With it a lot of club identity has been lost.

1. Harry Dowd

2. Ian Wood

3. Maurice Whittle

4. Alan McNeil

5. Bill Cranston

6. Jim Bowie

7. Don Heath

8. David Shaw

9. Jim Fryatt

10. Tommy Brycleland

11. Keith Bebbington

That's about when I started too. If only we had a Fryatt/Shaw partnership now. We'd have won about 4-1 yesterday.

1. Barry Gordine

2. Ian Wood

3. Ray Wilson

4. Alan McNeil

5. Jim Bowie

6. Bill Cranston

7. Don Heath

8. David Shaw

9. Jim Fryatt

10. Tommy Brycleland

11. John Colquhoun

All heroes!

Wot! no Jim Beardall?

1. Barry Gordine

2. Ian Wood

3. Ray Wilson

4. Alan McNeil

5. Jim Bowie

6. Bill Cranston

7. Don Heath

8. David Shaw

9. Jim Fryatt

10. Tommy Brycleland

11. John Colquhoun

All heroes!

Who was the holding midfielder?

That's about when I started too. If only we had a Fryatt/Shaw partnership now. We'd have won about 4-1 yesterday.

Fantastic team great memories of watching sat on the wall behind the goal at the rochdale road end with my dad keeping a watchfull eye on me from a few rows back

I don't recall Tommy Bryceland, just a few years before my time.

The players i think I can remember playing in my first ever match are:

Harry Dowd

Ian Wood

Maurice Whittle

Jim Bowie

Bill Cranston

George McVitie

David Shaw

Jim Fryatt

Keith Bebbington

Ronnie Blair

I can't exactly remember the team but the players above were in and around the team at that time.

RIP

RIP Tommy. Fondly remembered as one of my first heroes.

I do miss those days. Days when football was just well, football. I remember vividly my dad taking me to Southport just after Christmas. It was freezing and we won 4-1. I was 10 and that was the year I started to want to go to every Latics game and played up when I wasn't allowed to go to Bournemouth. Dad went with my uncle and said we were lucky to get nil. I just wanted to see Ted Macdougal. One of my most cherished pieces of football memorabilia came to Australia with me. My first edition 1970-71 Rothmans Football Yearbook which I got for my 11th birthday. It is dog-eared and tattered from religiously memorising every football ground and club nickname of all 92 league clubs. It is the best birthday present I have ever had and was truly the greatest road map of this 11 year old's universe.

Also have the Park Drive equivalent with George Best on the front cover. I spent weeks trudging the streets picking up all the park drive cigarette packets and collecting the inserts in order to get it!

Edited by L1onheartNew

RIP Tommy. Fondly remembered as one of my first heroes.

I do miss those days. Days when football was just well, football. I remember vividly my dad taking me to Southport just after Christmas. It was freezing and we won 4-1. I was 10 and that was the year I started to want to go to every Latics game and played up when I wasn't allowed to go to Bournemouth. Dad went with my uncle and said we were lucky to get nil. I just wanted to see Ted Macdougal. One of my most cherished pieces of football memorabilia came to Australia with me. My first edition 1970-71 Rothmans Football Yearbook which I got for my 11th birthday. It is dog-eared and tattered from religiously memorising every football ground and club nickname of all 92 league clubs. It is the best birthday present I have ever had and was truly the greatest road map of this 11 year old's universe.

Also have the Park Drive equivalent with George Best on the front cover. I spent weeks trudging the streets picking up all the park drive cigarette packets and collecting the inserts in order to get it!

Was that Bournemouth match the one we went on the League Liner? Or am I getting them mixed up?