Oldham Sport?

http://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/about/

I've been following the coverage of Lee Johnson's move to Bristol City and it appears their owner has put together an organisation encompassing different sports in Bristol not just football.

Could we do something similar here to set us apart a bit and to expose more people to the club?

Teams for multiple sports all under the Oldham Athletic banner, especially for kids, could raise the clubs profile massively...

Set us apart by copying Bristol?

Surely a contradiction in terms?

Seriously though I like that idea. Would take massive amounts of effort, energy and funding to get it up and running though I'd imagine

Set us apart locally. Make us different from United & City. Just generally get more people involved with Oldham Athletic in as many ways as possible

If we were a club pulling in the same direction I would agree - but we're not! We have an owner and absent owners who own the ground and surrounding land. Income is diverted to their North Stand project instead of being spent on the team. What SC's vision for the future is God only knows! He wants to sell and until then what is his plan - to run us into the ground and then sell off the land to the highest bidder? Keep us ticking over until a buyer can be found who will pay over the odds for the club plus ground? So maybe in a ideal world where we are owned by someone who has the club at heart then yes your idea would be worth considering!

If we were a club pulling in the same direction I would agree - but we're not! We have an owner and absent owners who own the ground and surrounding land. Income is diverted to their North Stand project instead of being spent on the team. What SC's vision for the future is God only knows! He wants to sell and until then what is his plan - to run us into the ground and then sell off the land to the highest bidder? Keep us ticking over until a buyer can be found who will pay over the odds for the club plus ground? So maybe in a ideal world where we are owned by someone who has the club at heart then yes your idea would be worth considering!

Have a thread off ffs

Have a thread off ffs

He has a point though. The idea you raised is a good one and, as you say, distinguishing Latics from its big neighbours is one of the only ways we can hope to grab kids before they turn to the dark side. But, given the current owners' lack of interest in the football side of things, it's difficult to envisage something like that coming to fruition on their watch.

How about a local rugby league club join, to start things off. They could play at BP and save costs..

Seriously though, a good idea. Basketball, Even bring back Oldham Owls.

I always like the back to back stadium idea with Roughyeds. New stand is in the way, but that as a shielded stand backing onto each ground would have been good.

Even low level like cricket would get more year round usage.

How about a local rugby league club join, to start things off. They could play at BP and save costs..

Seriously though, a good idea. Basketball, Even bring back Oldham Owls.

I always like the back to back stadium idea with Roughyeds. New stand is in the way, but that as a shielded stand backing onto each ground would have been good.

Even low level like cricket would get more year round usage.

Cricket what if they end up in financial difficulties will we have to bail them out?

A fine idea but the choice of Steve Lansdown, their Chairman as a successful exponent of it less so. He is around 1,000 on Forbes rich list with a fortune of $1.88 billion. He is a Bristol fanatic, is funding the ground development and wrote off circa £35 million of club debt.

Bristol, especially City's fans are lucky. Nothing more.

I know you need to invest to progress but no amount of investment guarantees success, that's especially true in football.

For the time being I am hoping for luck with a manager and see what that brings.

Ha Ha. I mean a CLL level club. (whatever the equivalent its now) I guess in theory you could even have somewhere Lancs could play as an away weekend, but that seems not financially viable!

The Pennine League which incidently is a great step forward for local cricket. Lancs CC have a very good set up with clubs like Blackpool Cricket Club

Edited by ChaddySmoker

http://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/about/

I've been following the coverage of Lee Johnson's move to Bristol City and it appears their owner has put together an organisation encompassing different sports in Bristol not just football.

Could we do something similar here to set us apart a bit and to expose more people to the club?

Teams for multiple sports all under the Oldham Athletic banner, especially for kids, could raise the clubs profile massively...

great idea ,,,,, helpful if you're in the top 5 richest in the south west and a billionaire

A fine idea but the choice of Steve Lansdown, their Chairman as a successful exponent of it less so. He is around 1,000 on Forbes rich list with a fortune of $1.88 billion. He is a Bristol fanatic, is funding the ground development and wrote off circa £35 million of club debt.

Bristol, especially City's fans are lucky. Nothing more.

I know you need to invest to progress but no amount of investment guarantees success, that's especially true in football.

For the time being I am hoping for luck with a manager and see what that brings.

hmmm....should read the full thread first