Question for the older folk.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behind the Goal for that free kick BP?

On the side terracing..I think it was York Citys record crowd and my mate was so worried we wouldn't get in he shouted to the turnstile operator "Open the gates man - we'll throw the money at you as we go past".

And I'd say he was more of a midfielder than a striker.

I seem to remember him playing in a number of positions such as striker, winger, and central midfield. He had a decent partnership with Tony Blair, or was it Ronnie Blair, in central midfield for a while.

I seem to remember him playing in a number of positions such as striker, winger, and central midfield. He had a decent partnership with Tony Blair, or was it Ronnie Blair, in central midfield for a while.

Rocking Ronnie! The first name on my team sheet of any Latics 11. Robins was very underrated. He could play though. I remember going to Chelsea in the mid 70s. I seem to remember him scoring in a 3-0 win. Made the beating I took after the game all the more bearable!

On the side as well. A great weekend in york made sweeter by United getting relegated the same day. Sent down by city and Denis Law. The beer flowed that day

Rictic will remember the weekend well.

There seemed a lot more Latics fans behind that Goal on the day-was there any segregation, I cant remember?

Ian Robins started playing on the left wing and finished up playing centre forward. Played at the same time as a Alan Young. Not bad in the air he could volley as good as anyone - very powerful shot! Intelligent player.

Ended up our top scorer one season Im sure.

in background?

1969–1977 Oldham Athletic 220 (40) 1977–1979 Bury 49 (5) 1978–1982 Huddersfield Town 156 (59)

Appearances and goals.

Well that was my memory of him - I never watched us in the 3 div (or at least with any meaningful memory). We played in div 2 from 74 and I think he hardly played in the last two years for us. As I wrote - older fans than me might remember him better from the old 3 div days.

Someone could quite easily prove me wrong and I will accept the hard truth of the stats, but my memory is, like most, not perfect and I was a big fan of Alan Young, David shaw, Vic Halom and such so maybe I overlooked him somewhat.

Edited by Stagger Lee

It might surprise lots on here but he was a bit of a boo-boy for our fans when he first came into the team

Ha, ha! My dad once spent the entire ninety minutes slagging him off, only to be told at the final whistle, that Ian's mum was sitting in front of him!

On the side as well. A great weekend in york made sweeter by United getting relegated the same day. Sent down by city and Denis Law. The beer flowed that day

Rictic will remember the weekend well.

Yep. Great day. And the roar from both sets of fans at full time when the Utd score was read out, will stay with me forever. :-)

Ian Robins was the butt of fans wrath back in the day like someone posted earlier, I remember him mostly coming on as sub to a chorus of boos and 'Oh my god's' Met him at the 25 year reunion for the Third Division Championship at the old Belgrade Hotel in 99. Top fella, as were all the team, he had a Tom Selleck like moustache which Andy Lochead enjoyed pointing out to him after a few beers.

I can certainly confirm most of the views on Ian Robins. I was an apprentice and young professional during the late seventies at Oldham. He predominantly played left side midfield but tended to be one of those players that frustrated the majority of fans - he did indeed have a strange way of running with his arms/hand up and this made him an easy target,when things weren't going well. He was quite a decent player but players like Ronnie Blair,who was less talented,worked harder and were more appreciated.

I'm sure he lived in Wigan at the time as he shared a lift in with Maurice Whittle,who had one of the sweetest left foots I've ever seen. There were some real characters in the squad - Alan Groves,Les Chapman,Vic Halom,Alan Young, George McVitie, Ian Wood,etc.

I met a guy last year from Burnley who drinks in the same pub as Andy Lochhead. Good times and a few tales to tell from " back in the day".

The first job I was given as a new apprentice was to clean the bulbs in the floodlights. Yes, I know it sounds incredibly,it was, and I only twigged when climbing the steps and seeing everyone pissing themselves at the bottom !!!

Robins is number 10 in these highlights ( I was at the match).

https://youtu.be/pBvMAB8GmYw?t=6m40s

my first away game aged 7 dropped my mum and sisters off to do sightseeing/shopping in city center whilst my dad &brother took me to the game seem to remember it was full of leeds fans whos coach had broke down on the way to one of the northeast teams

Does anyone have a link to the Carlisle game where Vic Halom scored a Hatrick? I am certain I have seen it online, but can no longer find it. I think it was a BBC game. Mr. Prendy?

can remember the game and Halom coming on when it was 2-2 and crashing one of the bar from the first corner after he came on maybe your thinking the following season when we won 4-1 ?

I can certainly confirm most of the views on Ian Robins. I was an apprentice and young professional during the late seventies at Oldham. He predominantly played left side midfield but tended to be one of those players that frustrated the majority of fans - he did indeed have a strange way of running with his arms/hand up and this made him an easy target,when things weren't going well. He was quite a decent player but players like Ronnie Blair,who was less talented,worked harder and were more appreciated.

I'm sure he lived in Wigan at the time as he shared a lift in with Maurice Whittle,who had one of the sweetest left foots I've ever seen. There were some real characters in the squad - Alan Groves,Les Chapman,Vic Halom,Alan Young, George McVitie, Ian Wood,etc.

I met a guy last year from Burnley who drinks in the same pub as Andy Lochhead. Good times and a few tales to tell from " back in the day".

The first job I was given as a new apprentice was to clean the bulbs in the floodlights. Yes, I know it sounds incredibly,it was, and I only twigged when climbing the steps and seeing everyone pissing themselves at the bottom !!!

What's your name?

can remember the game and Halom coming on when it was 2-2 and crashing one of the bar from the first corner after he came on maybe your thinking the following season when we won 4-1 ?

Yes, we won 4-1. Halom hatrick and Barry Davies praising the pies during the commentary