FT: Blackpool 0 Oldham 0

He's good.

Young lads head went shocker. Hes a kid in the last line of defence carrying all our pressure, probs realising what three clean sheets feels like five minutes too soon and suffering for it.

Came through it though.

Mental toughness & ability showing great attributes all bodes well for the future.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....but there will be is the point.

...but there would have already been one or ten if Cornell had been in goal.

We can't afford another loan signing in the 16 man squad and doubt there is money for one now. How many league one keepers would have saved those two efforts at the death against Wigan - bet you could count them on one hand. Give the lad a break: he dropped (and recovered) a ball in the first half and then had a five minutes to forget but didn't concede. More than happy with Joel.

The concern must be focused on the forwards and supply line. Winch, for all the good he does and loving the new desire to shoot, really needs to believe in his ability more when 1on1 and beat his man in the outside (or play him on the left), Murphy's failure to decide what to do for about a minute is crippling his progress despite the superb movement he offers. However, the main deficiency in our attacking play is confidence - one home victory I am certain will solve this but how long are we going to have to wait?

Edited by eyres_28

You don't see Coleman as a weakness . I do . It is about opinions. You ask how many other league one goalkeepers would have made those saves at Wigan.....23 is the answer you are looking for

We have scored 11 in 15 when he plays. In part that is because 60% of the next action after Coleman has kicked it is a throw in.

Wicketkeepers who drop catches don't always cause that game to be lost but teams who have wicketkeepers who drop catches will always struggle and the next dropped catch is always just round the corner......if our keeper was a wicketkeeper he would be very competent standing back but a liability when standing up to the wicket when genuine technique and ability is required.

Coleman has potential, he is not the finished article but I would rather we stuck with one of our own who has the potential, and has kept 3 clean sheets in a row than use up a loan which could be used in other areas.

If we are going to have a youth team and a youth setup at all then we may aswell give the ones who have potential some lee way to develop. The best way for him to develop is to play games.

So Coleman is to blame for our strikers woes - :censored:ing genius that one.

What about Jones misplaced set pieces on Tuesday where he under or over hit any ball into the box, a free header Main missed or the lackluster performance of Murphy who gave the impression he didn't want to be there?

Last. 10 league games Coleman has played we have lost 6! In that time we have got 8 points . Over a season that gives 37 points and you finish bottom

As for keepers distribution being in part responsible in any team for lack of a goal threat......yes absolutely. The keeper starts more attacks than any player on the field

Opinions

What everybody needs to see from Coleman is progression.

His handling was very poor on Tuesday and I suspect it was frustration with this that led to the increasingly rash decision making. He was incredibly fortunate that he escaped with the mistakes he made.

Set against that it was a horrific night for a goalkeeper with the combination of the wind and very heavy pitch. In part his kicking can be explained by that alone given the difficulty of planting the standing foot.

He has to be true to his instincts and make decisions quicker. Naturally he wants to attack the ball, as he did with one fantastic claim in the second half. However what will destroy him and us is the second guessing and late decisions that leave him out of position and exposed.

He is streets ahead of Cornell, who must be a defenders nightmare given the lack of support he gives them..... but he needs to be a whole lot better than he was Tuesday!!

What about Jones misplaced set pieces on Tuesday where he under or over hit any ball into the box, a free header Main missed or the lackluster performance of Murphy who gave the impression he didn't want to be there?

Cute.

The annual hounding of a goalkeeper. The same discussions that come from it. Cornell is a real bad'un. Has been in a Premiership outfit and come to this level and looked appalling. On the otherhand, we've a young lad with a lot to learn but is doing alright. If we were knocking 2 or 3 goals in regularly, then ok we would talk about Colemans current limitations and some would be far more forgiving of him and happy to let us try and develop him further. Instead, people want him replacing. I think that's unfair on the lad.

Also, I reckon most would rate Roy Carroll quite highly. He's played at the highest level of the game. Yet on his last trip to BP he completely lost his head and cost Notts County the game. It happens. I've got no doubt that Coleman will improve and learn his trade given the chance. Just a shame the teams current plight exacerbates any moments of youthfulness that he has.

Edited by boundaryblue80

You don't see Coleman as a weakness . I do . It is about opinions. You ask how many other league one goalkeepers would have made those saves at Wigan.....23 is the answer you are looking for

We have scored 11 in 15 when he plays. In part that is because 60% of the next action after Coleman has kicked it is a throw in.

OWTB -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

Edited by Twisbrogan

I think Coleman is poor. He may develop into a decent keeper but he's far from that right now. Well over 50% of his kicks fail to find an Oldham player and usually end up in touch which puts us on the back foot time after time. The reason Dunn played Cornell I think was to take Coleman out of the firing line cos his mistakes plus the fact our defence was :censored:e must have been destroying his confidence. Neither Dunn nor Sheridan can be blamed as they both inherited the keepers, unfortunately Cornell is shockingly bad so we've no option but to stick with Coleman. He's going to cost us points though probably less than Cornell would. Ridiculous situation to be in and whoever signed Cornell wants shooting.

The worst thing for any young goalkeeper is to play in front of a struggling defence which he has been doing this season.

When Coleman first came in he looked at decent prospect in what was half a decent side -

12 months later !!!!!!!

He will improve and i suspect that in a couple of years he will be a highly valued goalkeeper and could be playing at championship level .

More than any other position on the field , goalkeeping is all about confidence and when he gets his back you will see the potential in the lad.

Miles better prospect than Cornell and ultimately producing players like him will be the only way this club can move on.

:laught30:

The worst thing for any young goalkeeper is to play in front of a struggling defence which he has been doing this season.

When Coleman first came in he looked at decent prospect in what was half a decent side -

12 months later !!!!!!!

He will improve and i suspect that in a couple of years he will be a highly valued goalkeeper and could be playing at championship level .

More than any other position on the field , goalkeeping is all about confidence and when he gets his back you will see the potential in the lad.

Miles better prospect than Cornell and ultimately producing players like him will be the only way this club can move on.

You could argue the reverse is true and that the defence have been completely undermined by the lack of communication and shenanigans behind them....

You could argue the reverse is true and that the defence have been completely undermined by the lack of communication and shenanigans behind them....

True but i see Colemans problems as teachable and that in turn breeds confidence.

Remember Andy Goram , when he started he couldn't reach the edge of the box with his goal kicks and timing coming off his line was very debatable and look how he turned out (before he came back mind you)

Our fans love to hound players who have come through the academy.

Our fans love to maon about everybody but which youngsters?

Winchester is the only one I can think of but generally never about his football ability& never a hounding

Considering 95% of the youngsetr produced go on to league 2 or below if they get critism its because they are not good enough. Coleman has potential but he gives me a heart attack every game at the moment .

all our youngster are too small when they come through or have been for the last few years.Its the rerason we dont produce more 1st team footballer imo

Tarky & Coleman the exception. Winchester ability has seen him through but he is very weak looking - the rest always seem 5ft 1'

Edited by palmer1