FT: Blackpool 0 Oldham 0

Play like that and goals will come.

Murphy and Main both had chances they'd expect to score on any other day.

I hope you're right. But if we are having just 2 or 3 chances a game to score 1 goal (and missing them) we need to be creating more chances of which are clear cut chances. Numbers game. So we need to be creating 8 or 9 very good chances to score 2 or 3 a game but that doesn't look anywhere near close to happening at present. I can't stand this notion that because we aren't scoring we need to just swamp ourselves with strikers. They need service...much much better service.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

Not sure how can you say he has made a massive difference when you then correctly highlight not much has changed. Yeah, he has briefly got us all believing a little bit more but that's about it. Folk won't like what I'm about to say next, but it's not a lot different to what we did under Darren Kelly. Look hard to beat, but few real chances, playing infront of the oppositions defences and putting easy to defend balls into their centre backs. For me this is all purely down to us having non-functioning wings. So teams just block out the middle of the park and force us wide where we are totally ineffective. Shez correctly said he wanted a winger...then brought in 2 strikers. That's naive...we need someone out wide stretching teams and servicing the strikers we have already. It appeared he had earmarked Dummigan to do that vs Wigan but once Gerrard gets injured then we had to reshuffle and the plan is gone.

We need a winger Shez! We've needed one all season! But I'm worried we've had all that shylock is prepared to give.

Having now been to Shrewsbury, Wigan and Blackpool, a blind man with a stick can see that Shez has made a tremendous difference in a short space of time. He's actually MANAGING the team and getting them to believe in themselves after Dunn (and plenty of fans) convinced them they were utter :censored:e. Unfortunately, time is not on our side but I am not too despondent. Even if we still go down, we have the right man to rejuvenate us and have a promotion season next time around. Currently, some tough decisions need to be made - for me, the first one would be to drop Forte - he's a passenger when we need all the graft we can get. And in training I`d just be playing "attack and defence" encouraging our players to shoot at every opportunity -it's the lonely way we are going to start scoring - shoot on site.

We've had one proper winger all season and we let him go.

Totally agree. And he scored in his last game then Dunn dropped him and he left. I felt he would probably have been better on the right but either way, Yeates is the only man we've had on the wing who has looked threatening. Shez was right when he arrived saying we needed a winger...we need one desperately.

No we don't. This is modern day football trash. Rick Holden, Neil Adams, Eyresie...wingers...out and out...venture down your wing, wingers. Winchester...not a winger...Forte...not a winger...Danny P wasn't...Croft is too fat to be one.

We have right and left sided midfielders who are being asked to go wide and cross the ball in. 90% of the time it is a ball from not far enough down the pitch and is met easily by a defenders head. It's killing us. Has done for a long time. And gives most teams an easy 90 minutes.

Jones put numerous balls in the box vs Bury, plenty from Lafferty last night, 35 corners in last 5 games.

Only 22 shots on target in those 5 games, that's the problem.

That game wouldnt of looked out of place in the confrence

I've seen a lot say this but there was some good stuff at times despite the pitch and weather.

For example, that ball Palmer played for Lafferty to burst through on was sublime

Other Palmer bits, Winchester played some good stuff, Holloway's hold up & link play was good to watch...

Not sure how can you say he has made a massive difference when you then correctly highlight not much has changed. Yeah, he has briefly got us all believing a little bit more but that's about it. Folk won't like what I'm about to say next, but it's not a lot different to what we did under Darren Kelly. Look hard to beat, but few real chances, playing infront of the oppositions defences and putting easy to defend balls into their centre backs. For me this is all purely down to us having non-functioning wings. So teams just block out the middle of the park and force us wide where we are totally ineffective. Shez correctly said he wanted a winger...then brought in 2 strikers. That's naive...we need someone out wide stretching teams and servicing the strikers we have already. It appeared he had earmarked Dummigan to do that vs Wigan but once Gerrard gets injured then we had to reshuffle and the plan is gone.

We need a winger Shez! We've needed one all season! But I'm worried we've had all that shylock is prepared to give.

He has made a difference, the defence is infinitely better, even without Gerrard, we are passing it better as well but a lack of goals is still the major problem.

Isn't Danny Byrne a natural winger? It might be worth giving him a run out, from the bench maybe?

On LP it sounded like we murdered them for the majority of the match but the problem of not being able to score continues. On to gillingham at home on Saturday which will be a difficult game with the gills playing so well!

Highlights on the official site don't reflect that we were dominant. However the Curtis Main header was a bad miss!

Basing this purely off the highlights as I didn't go but how on :censored:s earth has Murphy not scored from that cross?

Never mind that Mains header, Murphys got to bury that

Agree. Main snatches as his chance, doesn't let the ball drop quite enough. But Murphy reminded me of when you're having a kickabout with little kids and you theatrically throw yourself at the ball 'accidentally' missing it.

Jones put numerous balls in the box vs Bury, plenty from Lafferty last night, 35 corners in last 5 games.

Only 22 shots on target in those 5 games, that's the problem.

We need to mix it up a bit more for me, especially as we're not converting from that many crosses

What happened to running at and through a defence? Winchester, Forte, Murphy, Palmer, even Lafferty or Dummigan could all try this once or twice a game..

Or passing through a defence on the floor?

We're over reliant on crosses when we haven't got strikers who can get on the end of them. Had we signed Higdon on the other hand......

We need to mix it up a bit more for me, especially as we're not converting from that many crosses

What happened to running at and through a defence? Winchester, Forte, Murphy, Palmer, even Lafferty or Dummigan could all try this once or twice a game..

Or passing through a defence on the floor?

We're over reliant on crosses when we haven't got strikers who can get on the end of them. Had we signed Higdon on the other hand......

Yeah, it's all very samey attack wise, need to find a way of having more shots and getting more bodies into the box.

Basing this purely off the highlights as I didn't go but how on :censored:s earth has Murphy not scored from that cross?

Never mind that Mains header, Murphys got to bury that

A lack of commitment and anticipation of the ball beating the keeper....it also looked to me like he was frightened of colliding with the post!!