Away ticket prices

Away ticket prices   

84 members have voted

1. 1. £26+ for an away match

• I'd never pay that on general principle regardless of the importance of the game
    • I'd pay it begrudingly if it was an important game
    • £16, £20, £26 - if I want to go to an away match I'll just pay whatever the price is
    • I go to every away match so kind of have to pay it
    • I literally can't afford that
  2. 2. Should Football League clubs follow the Premier League & make all away tickets one price, eg £20?

• Yes
    • No, clubs should be allowed to make their own commercial decisions as they see fit
    • Unsure
  3. 3. How much do you generally spend (per person) on an away day over & above the ticket price. i.e travel, food, booze..

• £0-£10
    • £10-£30
    • £30-£60
    • £60-£100
    • £100+

In light of Millwall charging £26 for our upcoming match and the Premier League fixing away ticket prices at £30 do you think the Football League should follow suit or should clubs be allowed to make their own decisions as to what ticket prices will work best for them?

Do any of you "Boycott" games if tickets are above a certain price?

Can any of you literally not afford to go if it's above a certain price?

Whether it's £20 or £26 is that a drop in the ocean in the context of how much the rest of the day costs you?

Personally, I'd love to pay as little as possible as much as the next man (ahem...or lady) but struggle with a club not being able to price tickets as they see fit (rightly or wrongly)..

If, for example, we had a season coming up where there were loads of potentially large away followings coming to BP we'd be daft not to try and maximise gate receipts from that and getting that right could make a big difference to our finances that season.

Also, London clubs like Millwall charging home fans £26 is probably the equivalent of us charging £22 on the basis the average Millwall fan likely earns more than the average Oldham fan (granted, their mortgages/rent also cost more as does a pint..)..

Their non-football staff probably need paying more than ours too....

I've never cut my nose off to spite my face so far by not going to an away game because they're taking the piss with the ticket price. Likewise I've never specifically gone to an away match on the basis they're only charging, eg £17...

If I want to go I go - maybe because it's an important match, more often for the whole day out & the pubs rather than the football, because I've got the buzz at that moment in time - I'll just pay it, within reason. That's not to say there wouldn't be a tipping point though....

Edited by HarryBosch

A very interesting read that and should be an interesting discussion on here.

I personally believe £26 is too much (I'm a student, and they're not even offering a student price?) If it was a hugely important game, yes I'd probably pay it (which it might turn out to be) but it's a no from me for this one.

I usually don't mind spending £30-60 on an away day depending on the journey and ticket prices - but if a ticket then becomes closer to £30 than it is to £20 I start to be cautious about how much I spend on the day, which will mean I won't enjoy the game as much and probably drink a few pints less. So in effect, yes £26 is beyond what I'm looking to pay as a student for an away game.

It's usually £15-20 for a student, £20 max and you'll have me interested at every away game no matter the importance.

Edited by MAC0AFC

Like MAC, no student prices massively influential on decision to go or not usually. Millwall is a no-go now at that price, even though I had looked forward to it all season. Travel to London, tickets, beers etc. isn't worth it for £100ish. Genuinely pay for my food for a month, that.

This distorted system isn't sustainable though. I fully expect some form of FL compromise, because next season you'll have teams in the Championship charging more than the Premier League. Leeds, Wednesday, Derby etc. will be vocal, and that will help.

Once you start the ball rolling on subsidies it gets very contentious. I'm not sure a flat rate is the perfect solution given the various and unequal way that different clubs are funded, but there has to be some basic form of subsidy. In the Premier League they can get away with a flat rate because they're all quids-in, just to a higher and lesser extent, whereas at this level it's less applicable to smaller clubs with lesser funding.

Not really influenced by ticket prices only a few quid more than normal. I've already made my saving on the train.

Don't, I missed out on the £10 tickets and then the £41.20 all day travelcard due to nothing other than sheer laziness.

£81 if we don't beat Southend and/or Crewe....

underwood_zps5rrkhvi8.gif

:grin:

Haha, I'm not asking for the world mate - just think £26 is beyond reasonable. £20 and you'd have me talking. I mean 17,18,19,20,21 year olds paying the same as adults?

AND you bastards have an extra 50p for every hour you work. ?

Further away you go the less difference it makes if you are going to London then you are spending atleast £100 on travel food and drink anyway £5 here or there on a match ticket won't make a difference.

If Rochdale hiked up the price to £30 then I think it would have an impact on how many we took.

That said it usually depends on my own personal circumstances how many aways I do. Mainly time, disposal cash, and how well we are doing. As a result I haven't done any away games this season.

Don't, I missed out on the £10 tickets and then the £41.20 all day travelcard due to nothing other than sheer laziness.

£81 if we don't beat Southend and/or Crewe....

+1

Annoyed with myself really, if we get 4 points from tonight and sat i won't bother going, come on oldham save me some money.

I think there should be some sort a cap in place for tickets. Think around the £20 mark is about right for third tier football.

Do Latics charge £22 to away fans at BP? definitely not the most expensive in the league but some of the away supports at BP have been lower than I would expect, and I do think prices have an massive say on away day followings.

In the grand scheme of a day out, if im happy paying 20-22 quid, then 4-6 pound more isnt a lot more but its the principle of it that gets me. Feels like im being fleeced.

It's a tough one as I feel twentys plenty kinda thing but then i cant see there being a massive increase in attendance. Millwall game will be hard to judge as it's always going to have a higher turn out it being the last away game (plus it may be still be a vital game for us still).

I don't think I've ever boycotted just on price, as you say when you add it into the cost of the day it's not going to make the difference. It can make a marginal difference though, I'm thinking of a few cup away games that have been announced as cheaper than expected and it does help give you more of a feelgood factor. Likewise high prices and sit grounds make a poor option. I probably wouldn't have paid a fiver to Fleetwood after the shambles of last year but if I was more borderline the liss taking price would have swayed me.

Whichever way you look at it we are paying too much for tickets. Having said that, the reality is that our league position is the key driver to the size of the crowd....can anyone honestly say that they wouldn't go to Millwall at 26 quid if we were in or around the play-offs? or that Leicester fans currently care what the price of the next 4 games is?!

What has happened though is that the swanky new stadiums and plethora of foreign stars have moved the game to a wider, wealthier fan base and in some cases squeezed out the traditional fans. That hasn't quite happened at the smaller clubs but there is a sense of them trying to follow suit by increasing prices in some vain attempt to increase revenues in order to compete.....the reality is that the only way to join the money train is to get to the Premier league....the Championship is a kind of crazy no mans land where almost every club is risking bankruptcy by betting the house on getting promotion and the TV money that comes with it

The Premier League's unwritten aim was always to pull up the drawbridge and follow US style franchise and big business approach.......they are well on their way and must be seriously pissed off with the likes of Leicester and Watford gatecrashing the party!!

Having said all that I am about to get in the car and drive for 2 hours to Southend to watch MY team like I have for 40 odd years....I wish we were in a higher division or at least higher up this one but we're not so I'll just get on with it :)

Keep the faith!!!!!

In light of Millwall charging £26 for our upcoming match and the Premier League fixing away ticket prices at £30 do you think the Football League should follow suit or should clubs be allowed to make their own decisions as to what ticket prices will work best for them?

Do any of you "Boycott" games if tickets are above a certain price?

Can any of you literally not afford to go if it's above a certain price?

Whether it's £20 or £26 is that a drop in the ocean in the context of how much the rest of the day costs you?

Personally, I'd love to pay as little as possible as much as the next man (ahem...or lady) but struggle with a club not being able to price tickets as they see fit (rightly or wrongly)..

If, for example, we had a season coming up where there were loads of potentially large away followings coming to BP we'd be daft not to try and maximise gate receipts from that and getting that right could make a big difference to our finances that season.

Also, London clubs like Millwall charging home fans £26 is probably the equivalent of us charging £22 on the basis the average Millwall fan likely earns more than the average Oldham fan (granted, their mortgages/rent also cost more as does a pint..)..

Their non-football staff probably need paying more than ours too....

I've never cut my nose off to spite my face so far by not going to an away game because they're taking the piss with the ticket price. Likewise I've never specifically gone to an away match on the basis they're only charging, eg £17...

If I want to go I go - maybe because it's an important match, more often for the whole day out & the pubs rather than the football, because I've got the buzz at that moment in time - I'll just pay it, within reason. That's not to say there wouldn't be a tipping point though....

The robbing eel munching cockernee bastards..... :deal: just need to not get in a round with someone drinking uber expensive import pale ale ... :grin: as already stated, got a deal on me travel so a few quid more than Swindon ain't going to break the bank.... :chubb:

I think that for the majority of supporters football is a price inelastic product.

Reasons for not going tend to be more life gets in the way (work, family or simply location if you move away from the area) or people get fed up with the quality of entertainment and drift away (2 decades in the 3rd tier for example).

The thing that influences attendances for fans tends to be how well the team is doing.

With away fans, then it will also be effected by location and timing of the game and how much of a "day out" it is. Blackpool on a Saturday is more attractive than Colchester on a Tuesday.

All that being said, with the lack of a major alternative sources of income (Premiership clubs have TV and sponsorship), it would likely be a big financial impact if Football League clubs dropped their prices. Reduced prices likely to mean less income as I don't think attendances would compensate.

However, the impact would be the same for all clubs -and therefore it might not have too much an impact apart from the overall level of wages reduce. Arguably, it might help smaller clubs as with lower attendances they would lose less money if there was a cap of £20 a game.