25 years ago TODAY....

Redfearn was no winger , Warhurst was no full back.....terrible decisions.

Losing Redfearn was the worst decision made in that era .......well apart from buying McDonald, Kane , Kilcline etc.

He was a dynamo in central midfield ,tough tackling , good passer and excellent long shot.

Look at how well he did for Barnsley for the next five years!

I got the story off Jon Hallworth about the Redfearn sale. He had a big bust up with Joe about Mike Milligan returning and who would get the no.10 shirt. Joe had him doing pre-season with the youths after that and his days were numbered.

Didn't they go on a pre-season tour, leaving him behind. Joe said something about 'someone could not be trusted....' i have a vague recollection of the rumour about him shagging around.

Didn't they go on a pre-season tour, leaving him behind. Joe said something about 'someone could not be trusted....' i have a vague recollection of the rumour about him shagging around.

I'm sure it wasn't Redders that was putting it about, wasn't it supposed to have been PW.

Redfearn was no winger , Warhurst was no full back.....terrible decisions.

Losing Redfearn was the worst decision made in that era .......well apart from buying McDonald, Kane , Kilcline etc.

He was a dynamo in central midfield ,tough tackling , good passer and excellent long shot.

Look at how well he did for Barnsley for the next five years!

Warhurst was an excellent full back. He also a very good centre half but he played the majority of games for Wednesday at right back as well barring his memorable stint up front.

Warhurst was an excellent full back. He also a very good centre half but he played the majority of games for Wednesday at right back as well barring his memorable stint up front.

For me Warhurst could have played anywhere along the back or up front. The lads pace was frightening.

Wonderful memories.

On a Barlows coach on the way home, the team bus overtook us and there was lots of waving and chanting back and forth.

Our whole coach started chanting "come of Brian, come on Brian" (the drivers name) urging him to re-take them - he managed it to a huge cheer on the bus and laughter and waves from Joe and the boys.

As for the Redfern discussion - never understood why you would sell your central midfielder who scored 17 goals in a Championship winning side for a relative pittance to a team in the division you have left.

The rumour at the time was the one that I think every club has about one player sleeping with another players wife and the player being moved out for team morale reasons (our version being Redfern and Ritchie's wife).

And Marshall was another mistake,

Me and my then sister in law also sat on that coach singing to Brian. Awesome day!

Time to move on folks.

Move on to what? Revelling in our long-term status as League One strugglers? Harking back to the good times, and hoping against all rational thinking that they might return, is what supporting Latics is all about.

Me and my pal were still in the Rifle Range at 3pm , there was no urgency we were promoted and West Ham were sure to beat Notts County.

Arriving late in the Chaddy we ended up on the flat bit at the front of the Chaddy behind the goal ...... not too shabby a position to watch the surreal second half come back.

Can't quite recall the name of the Sheff Wed player who gave the penalty away ........

Edited by stargazer

Me and my pal were still in the Rifle Range at 3pm , there was no urgency we were promoted and West Ham were sure to beat Notts County.

Arriving late in the Chaddy we ended up on the flat bit at the front of the Chaddy behind the goal ...... not too shabby a position to watch the surreal second half come back.

Can't quite recall the name of the Sheff Wed player who gave the penalty away ........

I wonder if Shez has discussed the Leeds job with Redfearn.