25 years ago TODAY....

.....we were promoted to the 1st Division (and became founder members of the Premier League 12 months later) after a 68 year absence with two superb goals from Ian Marshall at Portman Road.

22 years after being relegated from the top flight and after 19 consecutive years in the 3rd tier, I wonder when/if we'll ever see the likes again. One thing is for sure though, I'll never give up hope. If Leicester can win the Premier League and Bournemouth can compete in it, nothing is impossible. I'll be at Millwall on Sat to get behind Shez and let him know the outlook feels brighter with him in-charge. I love my football club.

PS. For those who know Lee - my fellow Droylsden Latics fan, still to be found at games today - he's one of the first on the pitch at the end of the game congratulating the players. Green top, Reni beanie hat.

Happy days.

Could it be done again? Only if it was some ones ambition to fund it.

It may have been forgotten but at the end of the inaugural (great escape) Premiership season we had been involved in two of the five highest scoring games. 6-2 v Wimbledon and 5-3 v Nottingham Forest. We won them both.

Only 2 teams scored more goals than our 63. Champions, United with 67 and fourth placed Blackburn with 68

But we did have the second worst defence, conceding 74 goals.

Edited by mikeroyboy

When he came and scored for Ipswich against us in the first match of the 93/94 season at BP I was genuinely heartbroken.

Likewise. Gutted, especially with his celebration in front of the Chaddy - where the singers used to congregate when it was terracing.

I've said it before, Royle made very few mistakes in my opinion, but not accommodating Marshall and Redfearn were two. With Sean McCarthy up top and Lee Richardson in the middle [both reasonable players in their own right] we were worse off.

Likewise. Gutted, especially with his celebration in front of the Chaddy - where the singers used to congregate when it was terracing.

I've said it before, Royle made very few mistakes in my opinion, but not accommodating Marshall and Redfearn were two. With Sean McCarthy up top and Lee Richardson in the middle [both reasonable players in their own right] we were worse off.

We didn't sign Richardson until we'd been relegated, did we?

We didn't sign Richardson until we'd been relegated, did we?

No. He was Milligan's replacement after he jumped ship for the 2nd time. I guess another way of putting it is, should he have stuck with Redders in centre mid and not re-signed Milligan? Or found a way of getting Henry, Milligan and Redders into a 3 man centre midfield? Either way, falling out with Redfearn because he wanted him to play right wing and Marshall because he wanted him to play centre half (with the benefit of hindisght I appreciate) were errors.

I agree, getting rid of Redfearn and Marshall were both mistakes IMO.

Having said that he made far more good decisions than bad, and we owe him big time for the success we had during that period.

Plenty of Latics fans in the home sections on that day IIRC!

I was! I'd arrived late as I was travelling from Newbury at the time. Probably subconsciously followed the blue and ended up in the home end.

Plenty of trying unsuccessfully to persuade stewards to let me through, asking for proof I was from Oldham , which as I lived in Newbury I couldn't actually do.

Eventually I was let through at half time after saying do I sound like I'm from round here!

Game was a blur though.

The drive home and all flags in the cars, and plenty of fellow at the petrol station I filled up just gobsmacked or muttering brilliant disbelievingly!

Wonderful memories.

On a Barlows coach on the way home, the team bus overtook us and there was lots of waving and chanting back and forth.

Our whole coach started chanting "come of Brian, come on Brian" (the drivers name) urging him to re-take them - he managed it to a huge cheer on the bus and laughter and waves from Joe and the boys.

As for the Redfern discussion - never understood why you would sell your central midfielder who scored 17 goals in a Championship winning side for a relative pittance to a team in the division you have left.

The rumour at the time was the one that I think every club has about one player sleeping with another players wife and the player being moved out for team morale reasons (our version being Redfern and Ritchie's wife).

And Marshall was another mistake,

Wonderful memories.

On a Barlows coach on the way home, the team bus overtook us and there was lots of waving and chanting back and forth.

Our whole coach started chanting "come of Brian, come on Brian" (the drivers name) urging him to re-take them - he managed it to a huge cheer on the bus and laughter and waves from Joe and the boys.

As for the Redfern discussion - never understood why you would sell your central midfielder who scored 17 goals in a Championship winning side for a relative pittance to a team in the division you have left.

The rumour at the time was the one that I think every club has about one player sleeping with another players wife and the player being moved out for team morale reasons (our version being Redfern and Ritchie's wife).

He shagged Marshall too?

Remember all the coaches parking up at a supermarket /service station car park. Somebody bought a football for a mass game. ..More people helped themselves to the beer isle...Happy memories

Wonderful memories.

I got the story off Jon Hallworth about the Redfearn sale. He had a big bust up with Joe about Mike Milligan returning and who would get the no.10 shirt. Joe had him doing pre-season with the youths after that and his days were numbered.

I got the story off Jon Hallworth about the Redfearn sale. He had a big bust up with Joe about Mike Milligan returning and who would get the no.10 shirt. Joe had him doing pre-season with the youths after that and his days were numbered.

He wanted him to play on the right and Milligan back in the middle. Redfearn wanted to play central but was told he wouldn't be first choice so he spat his dummy. That's was Joe's version.