Fan ownership

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth exploring the appetite for something of that type. The them and us culture between the fans and the club is extremely damaging for a club of our size.

However I am convinced that the fans have the ability to effect genuine change at the club if they can pull together. That will breed a sense of ownership. Fans will ultimately get more out of being an oafc fan. Realistic option or rose tinted spectacles?

The Trust oldham AGM will be announce as soon as we can confirm a date/venue. All are welcome and hopefully if you cannot attend in person, then it will be available somewhere on social media site you can log in to. It is a set agenda we adhere to on the night and I'm sure it will rolled out once the date is confirmed. I'm sure a fans Q and A will follow soon too.

We will be also thrashing out over summertime, next seasons events like fans Q and A, meet the manager (okay, okay when we get a new one...), sportsman dinner, and some events that will cover all age groups of latics fans too.

If you want to know more then please look at our official website: www.trustoldham.co.uk we also have a facebook page and a twitter feed too.

With regards to the scoreboard, it was a tremendous effort by all who supported it in many ways. The Trust did step in after it was launched and negotiated a lower target and extended the deadline too and we have so far raised £22, 835. The target is £26,000 and the deadline date has now passed so we will know so when all the funds have come in how close we really are - thanks everyone

You don't need consensus but the inability of the score board funding initiative to get above 20k shows just how much the fans feel disconnected from its owners and the club. A top down initiative imposed on the fans proclaiming to be 'owned by the fans'.

A. Isn't it at 22k.

B. Whilst im sure they hoped for more than 22k, thats still a decent effort IMO.

C. It wasn't imposed on the fans. A questionnaire was sent out asking which sort of things fans would be interested in improving.

D. Im sure i read the funds would be controlled by the trust.

Edited by doctor evil

The Trust oldham AGM will be announce as soon as we can confirm a date/venue. All are welcome and hopefully if you cannot attend in person, then it will be available somewhere on social media site you can log in to. It is a set agenda we adhere to on the night and I'm sure it will rolled out once the date is confirmed. I'm sure a fans Q and A will follow soon too.

We will be also thrashing out over summertime, next seasons events like fans Q and A, meet the manager (okay, okay when we get a new one...), sportsman dinner, and some events that will cover all age groups of latics fans too.

If you want to know more then please look at our official website: www.trustoldham.co.uk we also have a facebook page and a twitter feed too.

With regards to the scoreboard, it was a tremendous effort by all who supported it in many ways. The Trust did step in after it was launched and negotiated a lower target and extended the deadline too and we have so far raised £22, 835. The target is £26,000 and the deadline date has now passed so we will know so when all the funds have come in how close we really are - thanks everyone

Excuse my ignorance but why does there have to be a deadline?

Excuse my ignorance but why does there have to be a deadline?

It's how Tifosi work, they do targeted campaigns, not open ended fundraisers.

I for one wouldn't have gone for that campaign at that time, but by stepping in and helping to make something of it the Trust will be seen as a credible partner in the future for better directed and popular efforts.

Guest nonaenever

The absence of any unity amongst fans is clearly the stumbling block to fans having any real infuence over the club even in the absence of outright ownership. Not enough fans are prepared to pull together towards a common cause.

Fan ownership may not be a panacea but the fans of this club need to have a greater influence over its future. Fans need to pull together and critically need a leader to set the tone and agenda.

The breakdown in relationship between fans and the club is as much the fans as the clubs fault. The club gets no clear direction as to how the fans feel. They are totally fragmented and from my observation act independently and probably give contradicting opinions to the club. Misguided endeavours like the failed score board fund result from this.

Absolutely spot on - I actually said virtually the same things on the "pre season protest" thread - so I won't repeat it here. In summary though - the trust isn't working and a robust, independent supporter's group WITH AN EFFECTIVE LEADER is desperately needed - in my humble opinion

Absolutely spot on - I actually said virtually the same things on the "pre season protest" thread - so I won't repeat it here. In summary though - the trust isn't working and a robust, independent supporter's group WITH AN EFFECTIVE LEADER is desperately needed - in my humble opinion

Could you define effective leader? The problem is some see that person as someone who has a pop at the Board at every opportunity. That person is then shut out and sidelined.

Could you define effective leader? The problem is some see that person as someone who has a pop at the Board at every opportunity. That person is then shut out and sidelined.

And that did happen in the early days of the trust when we were trying to find out how our club worked. Maybe not in as much words as we demand to know.....and as you can imagine resistance was met, so tactics had to be changed in order for the doors to be opened and for us to be confident that we could take over if the owner(s) decided to leave until new owners could be found.

I'd be interest to see how other alternatives could work, and if there has to be minimum numbers to do it too as there seems to be a lot of keyboard warriors out there who slate the Trust, yet won't actually step up to find out why they feel it's not working. We arrange regularly fans Q and A, we have a yearly AGM, we are using modern technology too where you can log in live to see what's going on/pose a question, yet as Westy has confirmed the last event there were less than 12 fans there.

One of us is even attending a fans meet at the grey mare today to engage with those that seem so disheartened with our club, your board rep himself offered to meet with fans at BP on Last Tuesdays protest march but, they declined as they felt it wasn't the time/wanted to get more prepared

It was once said to me that the trust is like a comfort zone to some fans, they don't really want to get involved in it but they have some consolation that it is there and if the buckets need rattling again then that when they would step up.

I keep stressing the Trust board are volunteers, we want your help. The AGM will be announced soon. Please get involved

Edited by underdog

And that did happen in the early days of the trust when we were trying to find out how our club worked. Maybe not in as much words as we demand to know.....and as you can imagine resistance was met, so tactics had to be changed in order for the doors to be opened and for us to be confident that we could take over if the owner(s) decided to leave until new owners could be found.

I'd be interest to see how other alternatives could work, and if there has to be minimum numbers to do it too as there seems to be a lot of keyboard warriors out there who slate the Trust, yet won't actually step up to find out why they feel it's not working. We arrange regularly fans Q and A, we have a yearly AGM, we are using modern technology too where you can log in live to see what's going on/pose a question, yet as Westy has confirmed the last event there were less than 12 fans there.

One of us is even attending a fans meet at the grey mare today to engage with those that seem so disheartened with our club, your board rep himself offered to meet with fans at BP on Last Tuesdays protest march but, they declined as they felt it wasn't the time/wanted to get more prepared

It was once said to me that the trust is like a comfort zone to some fans, they don't really want to get involved in it but they have some consolation that it is there and if the buckets need rattling again then that when they would step up.

I keep stressing the Trust board are volunteers, we want your help. The AGM will be announced soon. Please get involved

I think someone who is a bit more tactful at asking the right prying questions at the right time and in the appropriate manner could do the right job. I have no knowledge of Simon Brooke but he is a business owner so is along the right lines of having the ability to have senior meetings, conducting himself in the right manner but asking the necessary questions. I don't know how far he is willing to go though if he gets a 'politicians style' response on a direct question.

There can be no ambiguity or assumption in terms of answers to some very important open ended questions that need to be asked...

1) in the absence of a buyer what is the plan/strategy on progressing the football club? And how far ahead does the plan project?

2) how is the club being promoted to potential buyers and how much interest is there?

3) how has the new stadium impacted football budgets versus the initial expectations that were quoted as putting us in the top of this division in terms of budget?

Etc etc

Edited by Blue_Guru

An effective leader amongst the fans is a well intentioned aim but wouldn't they have already come out of the woodwork? I can't identify one on the forum.

No amount of persuasion or leadership from a fans group is going to create investment and successful appointments of manager and players.

What would be a start is 6,000 REAL fans supporting the club week in week out, regardless. That's the problem.

Even support doesn't guarantee success, there's enough evidence of that.

I'm not allowed to use the word 'luck' but I did think we'd had some with Sheridan. The game is is eternally stuffed while the yardstick of support is success and keeping your head above water is is failure.

I think someone who is a bit more tactful at asking the right prying questions at the right time and in the appropriate manner could do the right job. I have no knowledge of Simon Brooke but he is a business owner so is along the right lines of having the ability to have senior meetings, conducting himself in the right manner but asking the necessary questions. I don't know how far he is willing to go though if he gets a 'politicians style' response on a direct question.

There can be no ambiguity or assumption in terms of answers to some very important open ended questions that need to be asked...

1) in the absence of a buyer what is the plan/strategy on progressing the football club? And how far ahead does the plan project?

2) how is the club being promoted to potential buyers and how much interest is there?

3) how has the new stadium impacted football budgets versus the initial expectations that were quoted as putting us in the top of this division in terms of budget?

Etc etc

Good questions Blue Guru. May I ask if you could copy an pin them in the trust Oldham folder at the top of the page so I don't lose them on this thread and I will try and get them asked for you cheers.

Edit, as I have a memory of a goldfish, I have been advised that some of your questions may have been touched upon already. I have been asked if you look at that pinned thread to where Midsblue's questions are and lower down with regards to Your Trust reps updates...they may help. Cheers

Edited by underdog

For all the suggestions and good intentions on here it doesn't matter a jot as we are a one man band the real problem is that one man struggles to play the triangle.

An Independent Supporters Association would come in handy when we have the world's press on our doorstep a la Ched, when we can give a more rounded view of our fans feelings rather than the self appointed spokesman's one who tends to speak for the lot of us.

As the numbers dwindle year in on year it's even more difficult to get any feeling or point across to a man who frankly doesn't give a :censored:, the only way you could get him to change his tact is through an active boycott of BP and the OEC, but then we'd be cutting or noses off to spite our faces.

For me it's turned into a really :censored: situation with no real hope of it getting better.

For all the suggestions and good intentions on here it doesn't matter a jot as we are a one man band the real problem is that one man struggles to play the triangle.

An Independent Supporters Association would come in handy when we have the world's press on our doorstep a la Ched, when we can give a more rounded view of our fans feelings rather than the self appointed spokesman's one who tends to speak for the lot of us.

As the numbers dwindle year in on year it's even more difficult to get any feeling or point across to a man who frankly doesn't give a :censored:, the only way you could get him to change his tact is through an active boycott of BP and the OEC, but then we'd be cutting or noses off to spite our faces.

For me it's turned into a really :censored: situation with no real hope of it getting better.

I don't understand what this independent supporters association would achieve.

The trust or another equivalent needs to step up. Change is clearly needed in how the trust (again or an equivalent) works. Fans feel no more connected to the trust than they do to the club. The trust can't bury its head in the sand anymore. It's not working. More than prepared to do my bit. When is the AGM?

Sheridan going could be the spark that forces fans into action though. The trust should really be looking to take advantage of this to get people on board and give it the numbers it needs to make a difference. Now is the time....

Please come and speak to us, meet us, this is your trust, if it needs to evolve, disbanded, reformed or whatever then it needs fans to do this.

You have an elected board, some where posting on here way before we stepped up to the front line, myself, lookers87, Leeslover, Jorvik and midnite to name a few. You may know some of us personally, we are human, we need this to work, we need volunteers, we need help.

Now is the time....the AGM will be announced soon as we have to give all two weeks notice. Please come and see us, or log in on the night if we can arrange live feed.

Interesting read, though obviously going to be a positive story, even SD admit you need a bad season and to be wholly owned to have resilience. It's not easy.

I think if we went under there would be enough passion and support to get a phoenix club prospering, trying to take over now would be too tall an order.

http://www.supporters-direct.org/news-article/england-and-waless-supporter-owned-football-clubs-season-201516

Edited by singe

Well said underdog. Fans need to get involved.

but they wont they will just moan and snipe from behind thier keyboards itching for the chance to shout " i told you so " to validate theyre sad existance