Contracted players

Having just read the Chron article, I'd have to say I'm worried, because it suggests to me that the season ticket money (minus what they had to give back) has been spent already. Normally that money sustains a club through the summer when there is little other income.

The sale of Coleman and compensation for Sheridan and Renshaw might allow the club to pay June's wages but what about July, assuming we sign some players who'll want paying ?

I can't help feeling that the club is currently living a hand to mouth existence, just trying to cobble together enough money to pay the bills to get through another month at a time.

The rent from Brassbanks should be coming in each month as well!!!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I can't understand why football clubs seem so untouchable when it comes to employment practices and financial fluidity.

2) If any other company continually failed to pay employees on time whilst owners agreed undisclosed deals then there would be serious questions asked.

Point 1 is the best point that has been made on this board for a long long time.

Point 2 is irrelevant apart from The Players (& Staff) Union-we are purely customers of the business and as such have no 'legal' right to know!

Perhaps there is a moral argument that we feel that we should have a right to know but nothing more.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Point 1 is the best point that has been made on this board for a long long time.

Point 2 is irrelevant apart from The Players (& Staff) Union-we are purely customers of the business and as such have no 'legal' right to know!

Perhaps there is a moral argument that we feel that we should have a right to know but nothing more.

If I failed to pay subby debts or staff, I'd do my best to sweep it under the carpet! Edited by ddot_m

If I failed to pay subby debts or staff, I'd do my best to sweep it under the carpet!

Sweeping things under the carpet means a bigger pile of dirt to be cleaned eventually.

Edited by BP1960

Bit too young to have remembered him properly, aside from the headbutt I was watching a compilation of Zidane the other day. Now, very big pinch of salt in hand, the way Winchester carries himself with the ball had echoes of Zidane's style to me. Properly classical footballer. Doesn't necessarily use skills like a Ronaldinho winger type - seems to all be in the body. All agility and jinking rather than pace or trickery. He'd be some player to watch in full flight. Think that's why there's such hysteria about him at times. Everyone is desperate to watch him at his best.

Other thing is, with the debates elsewhere about players who show early potential being lost to bigger clubs almost immediately, I suppose we have to accept that the ones who come through are likely to be more transitional and less consistent. Up to the player to go past that stage of development, like Tarky managed to do with the help of Johnson.

Carl Winchester being compared with Zidane - I can die now... I really have seen everything

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's true, but I've heard on the grapevine a top Premiership club is after one of the Latics youth, this one could involve a massive fee.

Connor Brown wasn't one of our youth players was he?